When is the best time to go garbage picking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I was visiting my parents.
My Father asked me if I wanted a tall metal cabinet .... I said 'NO'
My Father said he would ask his neighbor and if not wanted, put it at the curb.
During my next visit, I heard what happened to the cabinet.

My Father asked his neighbor who replied YES, he wanted it.
After waiting two days for the neighbor to pick it up, my father put it at the curb for trash pickup.

During the night, a garbage picker parked and was loading it up.
The neighbor woke up and hollered out his bedroom window .... HEY, THAT"S MY CABINET, GET OUT OF THERE ! ! !
The garbage picker had some choice words for this neighbor.

The neighbor got dressed and went outside but the garbage picker was gone.

The neighbor then got in his truck and went looking for the garbage picker, who he did find one street over.
The two of them got into a loud argument and woke up the people whos house they were parked in front of.
Those people ended up calling the Police.

The garbage picker ended up with the cabinet.
My Father said to me, How come the neighbor didn't just come and take the cabinet when I asked him.

Side story: This is the same neighbor who ordered a new truck from the dealer.
Instead of waiting for the dealer to notify him to pick it up, the neighbor went to the train-yard unloading-area
where all the new vehicle come into our area.
He did find his truck amongst all the others, but the employees there threatened to call the Police if
he didn't leave.

Sad story: The neighbor ended up drying from CO poisoning.
Bad heater in his garage.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Last time I lived in an area with municipal garbage pickup, our street's day was Monday and most people put their stuff out on Sunday afternoon. I preferred to take it out as I left for work on Monday just to minimize spillage as well as scattering by animals.
I was out mowing on a hot Sunday and noticed that lots of crummy cars were prowling our neighborhood looking to pick junk. A guy I barely knew several houses down was also mowing and really seemed to be suffering in the heat, and suddenly he stopped his mower by the apron of his driveway and went inside his house. About two minutes later, one of the prowling cars stopped and two guys jumped out and grabbed the mower...I started hollering once I figured out what they were doing, but they hustled that thing in their trunk like a flash and jumped back in. I started running after them, but they peeled out and were gone in no time at all.
My neighbor came out in a minute or two and I have to give him the bad news, wasn't even able to give him a plate for the cops. I think it turned out he had another mower to finish up his job with, but we both learned a lesson about leaving things laying around on picker's day. I'm sure the thieves noticed the mower was hot and had just been in use, but they had a perfect cover for their little crime if they had happened to get caught...they were just trash pickers, right?

Last time I was looking for a Weber grill on Craigslist, I ran across one ad that said whatever they had left out was free and not the Weber grill and whoever took it to please return it. I doubt if they ever got it back. You have to be careful about just posting an address and say it's free come take it. I guess some people take that as an invitation to take anything else in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back