When does fuel dilution happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varies. My Honda will dilute like crazy short-tripping in cold weather, but will also dilute in pure highway driving. And highway driving into a stiff headwind will see crankcase level rise noticeably.

Diesels running post-injection event(s) for DPF regen are common fuel dilution victims. I hear Ford recently implemented a dedicated injector in the exhaust stream to address the issue.

Want to cut down on air pollution? Stop eating cows and drinking milk. It's something that people will have to do on their own. Right now big business and politicians instead of helping are feeding the fires.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Want to cut down on air pollution? Stop eating cows and drinking milk. It's something that people will have to do on their own. Right now big business and politicians instead of helping are feeding the fires.

Guess what happens to the grass the cows don't eat? It decomposes... a natural process that primarily creates CO2 and Methane!!

cool-aid is right... the cows are killing us all!
cry.gif

Last edited:
When I did the last oil change for our 2.3 EB Explorer I noticed gas smell in the oil. It smelled stronger from the open fill cap than in the drain pan
21.gif
. This was a 7,000 mile run in roughly 2 Summer months, mainly high speed highway. I did an UOA and while the oil, Mobil 1 5W-30, was still in grade it was borderline 20 weight. I changed it to Motorcraft 5W-30 and will change it out at approximately 5,000 miles or in January. I'll do another UOA to see how the fuel dilution affected the 30 weight oil grade in more "normal" everyday driving conditions in the cooler/cold temps. The 7,000 mile summer run showed low wear metals. We'll see how this run fairs out.

Whimsey

Your choces are becoming more limited with each new model year ...
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't buy a TGDI or GDI engine because of this reason.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Your choces are becoming more limited with each new model year ...
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't buy a TGDI or GDI engine because of this reason.

I know... As soon as this Journey is paid for I might dump it for something that will be around a lot longer and the last of the non TGDI / GDI's and definitely without a CVT (Continuously Vomiting Transmission)
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: anndel
Immediately after starting the engine. You have EGR or it's equivalent, PCV, piston rings, etc., all contributors.

This is no doubt true. But some DI/TGDI engines may also use mixture as a way of preventing LSPI and reacting to regular spark knock. With the extremely low highway revs common in modern cars, they may be in those conditions more than we'd expect. Richened mixture may solve the LSPI/spark knock problems but can also make fuel dilution worse. This could also be a reason some posters here (including me) have found higher-octane fuel reduces fuel dilution.

Maybe the introduction of GF6 oils will allow OEMs to be less-aggressive in these countermeasures, at least when GF5s disappear. Maybe they'll even have reflashes available for older model years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back