When do you top off?

I top it off when ever I look under the hood and it looks low enough usually once it gets halfway between the marks. I frequently open my hood to look at things anyways, usually check the oil when I'm in there.

Currently for me it’s as soon as I can fit more oil in. After hitting all the AAP clearances and getting many quarts as well as what I already stashed, I’m always trying to top off. I’m currently trying to declutter and also want to try other oils so I’m just trying to use up what I got.
The ‘00 camry is getting half a quart every 1000mi. Not fond of going all the way to the low mark on lower capacity sumps. 5qt and up sump, I’m good with it.

When I owned my ranger that had to be topped up, I’d check it weekly and add when it was down half a quart or so.

If I pop the hood and the car needs oil I'd add it. My logic is the hood is open, and I spent the time to check the oil why not add some if it's needed, even if only a pint. Fortunately I don't own oil burners, or my OCI is short enough not to use oil.

This thread is for vehicles that consume oil. If you have an oil consuming vehicle, is what was mentioned in the very first sentence.
I've just always been curious as what makes some cars use oil and some not. Looking at the Carfax it looks like the previous owner of my Accord (it's just a one owner vehicle) went to a quickie lube and did "extended" oci's at a place that uses GTX dino. The camshaft is good and varnished up looking through the oil fill cap. But definitely has no negative effects.

The only people I knew who had oil users were cars of the 70s and 80s.

My vehicles don't consume or otherwise lose oil. But if they did, my decision to top off would depend on the ambient temps. If it's cold out, a smaller capacity of oil will warm up faster. If it's hot out, a larger capacity will help cool the engine internals. Maybe another question to ask: am I planning to haul or tow heavy loads soon? If yes, a larger oil capacity would be preferred.

My van uses maybe 500 ml of oil every 7500km. I use 4.2l at the oil change. This leaves 500ml left. I dump that in at 4000km. Works great.

I keep my 2009 MINI JCW between full
and 1/4 qt below full as the timing chain
and guides should last longer if I keep it near full.

I have a 2014 VW Passat with the 1.8L turbo motor. It blows off the first half quart of oil pretty fast (Probably a windage thing). So, I top off when it is 3/4 of a quart low and add about 8 fluid ounces to bring it back up to 1/2 quart low.

My one co worker from West Virginia with a 96’ Saturn adds a 5 quart jug to his when he sees the oil lamp flicker; usually when he makes a sharp turn he says

When the car needs about 1/2 a quart. I don’t like letting it get right to the ‘add’ mark.

I check both of my vehicles every 2 weeks or so (and before any long trips, etc.).

I will typically add oil if it’s in the lower quarter of the hash marks and only when the vehicle has been parked overnight and is in its normal parking spot.

Luckily my 2011 Toyota has never burned a drop. We shall see with my new VW.

I top off when the engine won't crank anymore. 😁

'02 Taurus uses a quart every 7k oci. I add 1/2 quart when it gets to the low line.

I had an '07 Trailblazer that decided it would burn about 4 quarts of oil in 2k miles. I topped it off after I spun a bearing.

So what I'm saying is don't assume a vehicle isn't using oil.

Grew up around cars and working in gas stations in the early 60's, so the cars were 40's 50's & 60's, most all cars used oil back then so they were checked and topped off at fill up of gas. so it became a habit I have to this day, I check my oil if I am just driving to a near by town, same with antifreeze. Oil changes back then rarely exceeded 3000 miles & if a car reached 70,000 & was not burning excessive amounts of oil it was exceptional.

Back