When battery goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
It depends .

True...

Though I have been lucky in that my lady's car does help show signs of issues.

I just replace before even having to worry about it. The lady's Camry will be getting a Walmart Valuepower battery before long.

Here's one case: 4 year old Autozone Duralast Gold (Johnson Controls?) in -5degF ambient temp conditions. Cranked the engine that morning, then again that evening, then one more time that night. The 4th restart that night killed it completely dead...all interior lights went out when the starter was engaged, wouldn't take a jump, had to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Donald
. Now if you used a carbon pile load tester every October you would probably never be surprised with an unexpected battery failure. (October was picked due to winter. Florida may be different).

If a battery suffers a sudden break in an internal bus, it is a failure that no tester could have predicted, not even a carbon pile tester.

The last few batteries Ive replaced, Ive done it at the first sign of some corrosion at the terminal. They were working well enough, but were also registering low impedance on the HF digital tester.

I noticed on our Odyssey, that the PWM dome light flickered more when the battery was weak. Now that a better battery is in, there is no flickering.

Ive also had perfect running batteries leave me stranded in random places. I drove from NJ to near Gary, Indiana, stopping multiple times on the way. When we stopped that time, the car shut off fine, couldnt even get the towtruck to jump it when we went to start it back up.

It was a hard internal short in the battery. Random occurrence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back