Great time to change a battery.. might as well change two!

Battery died in the Focus and was just going get a new for the Escape and switch them till I noticed the date. Oh well just did both. Historically batteries in the Escape last 5- 5 1/2 years and die without warning. Although with the new alternator not putting out AC this one might be different but not chancing it . Yeah they put the date code under the terminal.
IMG_2344.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

Getting 5 1/2 years out of standard flooded lead acid batteries is doing pretty good.

Jump starters can be handy. But you have a newer battery in a car, and if you take care of it, you may never need the jump starter. I can't recall the last time I have had to jump start a car. At least a couple decades.

When the battery in the jump starter starts going bad, it will also have to be replaced. Not the battery, but the whole jump starter. Those things aren't built to be servicable.

5.5 years seems at least a little low to me.
Respectfully disagree, If we're talking about standard wet lead acid batteries not agm's then 5.5 years is excellent. 5.5 years would be sending them to the grave. They may work up until that point but it's not the "ideal voltages". They decline in voltage output over the years. My AGM's have not even lasted quite that long. The biggest killer is heat & technology. If you're in the cold north perhaps they'll last a bit longer than southern areas. My truck for example relies on good battery voltages & when they start to get weaker output they can take out some electronics which is not cool ha! IMO don't run batteries until they fail by that time you're on the side of the road needing a jump start. Most of these auto batteries are not put on any sort of maintainer either. That would get them further of course. Do you get full CCA rated output for your vehicles at 5.5 years old? That would surprise me.

Surface voltage can fool us. I've had batteries that would charge to 12v but once you turned the key there was nothing. Once a load is put on it, like starting does, that would determine the output capability. The only real way to know is on a cold day have Autozone do a CCA load test to see if it matches the batteries spec's.

I'll have to check and report back.
OK I checked. I only have an analog tester (Schumacker) and it red near the middle of the Weak area (in the yellow). Yes I compared it to a 2 year old car battery which scored much better using the same tester. Battery in question is a regular lead acid with a 1/18 sticker on it. It still starts the car just fine on a really cold day though.

The 151R (smallest car battery) from Duralast Gold is lead acid and has been in service for my Fit for 8+ years and still going strong even during last week cold snap of low single digit temperature. With except of forced telework, it is being used 5+ days a week and the regular commute is 7 miles, which is just enough to top it off from whatever drain being parked overnight. I had seen lead acid last 12+ years without any maintenance beside cleaning off the terminal once a year when used in SC, GA, and FL mild weather. My previous Accord’s group 24 battery lasted 11 years when I had 35 mile commute each way for 5 days per week.

Surface voltage can fool us. I've had batteries that would charge to 12v but once you turned the key there was nothing. Once a load is put on it, like starting does, that would determine the output capability. The only real way to know is on a cold day have Autozone do a CCA load test to see if it matches the batteries spec's.
Does AutoZone really have a carbon pile load battery tester? I think just a Midtronics conductive battery tester.

Turning headlights on for a little bit will get rid of a surface charge.

Back