What's the new wonder elixir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Yuk
Originally Posted by Kage860
...Current favorite filter is fram ultra and people are using it for multiple ocis.

Thanks for mentioning the filter. It feels like only yesterday when everyone called Fram, "The Orange Can of Death!"

Fram Ultra (XG line) is neither orange nor a death can. It's covered in gold paint and has top-quality construction. When they say orange can of death, they are referring to the regular Fram (PH line).

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Yuk
I haven't been around for a while. The last year I followed Bitog with any regularity was before 2010. Back then German Castrol, 0w30 was pretty much the bench mark. So what's the big deal in motor oil now in 2019?
Will vary depending on who you ask.

- There's a group that is really keen on the new SOPUS GTL synthetics
- There's a group that is really keen on M1 EP and AP 0w-20 because it is majority PAO (I'm in that camp)
- There's a group that is really keen on the new Ravenol oils, which are all PAO-based (I'm in that camp)
- There's a group that plugs Redline constantly

...etc.

100% agreed here.

M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS because it's PAO-based and Fram Ultra (using XG3600) because of its efficiency and quality.

German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 has been discontinued. There is now a PAO-based German Castrol 0W-30 C3 but it's not available in US. Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 is now roughly 50/50 Group III and PAO.

Originally Posted by Yuk
Thanks!
It doesn't sound like there's anything around with the same mystique as GC. I too have taken a liking to M1 EP 0w-20. This winter we seemed to have a ton of days hovering between -20 and -30c and with the EP 0w-20 I never plugged the cars in.

The new Castrol 0w-20 specified for VW 508 is green. With the European manufacturers moving towards 20 weights, green oils could be making a comeback.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by Yuk
Originally Posted by Kage860
...Current favorite filter is fram ultra and people are using it for multiple ocis.

Thanks for mentioning the filter. It feels like only yesterday when everyone called Fram, "The Orange Can of Death!"

Fram Ultra (XG line) is neither orange nor a death can. It's covered in gold paint and top-quality. When they say orange can of death, they are referring to the regular Fram (PH line).
Credit where credit is due. I once cut open an OCOD and took and posted a picture of me literally crushing the paper end cap/element combination with my bare hand. took less effort than collapsing an empty soda can. Fram got lots of criticism. I had written them off until I noticed that they had come out with the XG line, which has what seems to be really robust, well-built internals. I'll probably try them -- once I manage to work through my sale-accumulated collection of M1s and Toyota OEs.

Say what you will about Fram, good, bad or indifferent -- I loved their old TV commercials. Must have been from the 70s or 80s (anyone?)? The tired/indifferent mechanic, from under the car on a lift, Orange Fram in hand, says with a shrug, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later. . ." Not really "Fram-specific," but that pretty much sums all of car maintenance in one neat, tidy sentence.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra (XG line) is neither orange nor a death can. It's covered in gold paint and top-quality. When they say orange can of death, they are referring to the regular Fram (PH line).

Thanks Gokhan. Although I've been away from Bitog, I've still tried to stay well informed and have been known to cut open a filter or two, to see how the technology has changed.

Currently Mobil 1 EP 0w20 resides in the sumps of my cars and "Gold Cans of Life" keep the oil in clean.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Orange Fram in hand, says with a shrug, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later. . ." Not really "Fram-specific," but that pretty much sums all of car maintenance in one neat, tidy sentence.

My favourite filter commercial line,

"Pure oil now, pure oil later, Purolator!"

Originally Posted by Yuk

Why is Pennzoil Ultra hard to come by? Here in Edmonton, it appears to be regularly available.

Pennz Platinum is as common as dirt - - Pennz ULTRA platinum seems to be available only through ordering it

Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 is now roughly 50/50 Group III and PAO.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all.....

Originally Posted by Yuk
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Orange Fram in hand, says with a shrug, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later. . ." Not really "Fram-specific," but that pretty much sums all of car maintenance in one neat, tidy sentence.

My favourite filter commercial line,

"Pure oil now, pure oil later, Purolator!"

You missed the whole Tearolator fiasco.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Chevron might have a hit on their hands with the Havoline Smart Change box. 6 quarts of Pro DS for $19.xx is pretty good for a quality oil. The only problem is you can't find it anywhere. Chevron needs to get off their hands and get this stuff into distribution.

Agreed. They have it at my local Walmart but only in conventional and HM 5w-30 and 5w-20. No Pro DS anywhere in sight which is a shame.

Originally Posted by Yuk
I haven't been around for a while. The last year I followed Bitog with any regularity was before 2010. Back then German Castrol, 0w30 was pretty much the bench mark. So what's the big deal in motor oil now in 2019?

In 2003 when you joined BITOG, Pennzoil was #1 and now in 2019, guess what?..... it's still Pennzoil.

Not much is said about Valvoline these days, but based on UOAs it's as solid a performer as any of the other major producers. Valvoline also has rebates a few times per year, is priced nominally, has a nifty jug that doesn't "glug" when pouring, foil tamper-proof seals and is available just about anywhere, anytime. It is my current choice for a go-to oil.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Yuk

Why is Pennzoil Ultra hard to come by? Here in Edmonton, it appears to be regularly available.

Pennz Platinum is as common as dirt - - Pennz ULTRA platinum seems to be available only through ordering it

not in canada. PUPP is as available as PPPP here and goes on sale for like $5 more per 5L jug. they seem to have smartened up here, used to be alot harder to find.

There is a strong following of 0w20's that spec with huge viscosity indexes.

Sustina, Zepro, and Toyota branded.

I guess if you have to be thin, you should have at least one thing fat.

The cheapest Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil you can find with a Fram Ultra filter.

Oh and the 20w50 crowd against the 5w30 crowd has become the 0w40 crowd against the 20wt crowd.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Robster
Not much is said about Valvoline these days, but based on UOAs it's as solid a performer as any of the other major producers. Valvoline also has rebates a few times per year, is priced nominally, has a nifty jug that doesn't "glug" when pouring, foil tamper-proof seals and is available just about anywhere, anytime. It is my current choice for a go-to oil.

The new Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 was the best synthetic I've had in my Nissan before I sold it in December. Gone is the sodium. Next was Castrol Magnetec Semi-Synthetic ( NOT SYNTHETEC) Then Quakerstate Ultra 10w30.

If you have a 5w30 application I can highly recommend the 5w30 Valvoline Advanced. Ive never liked the heavier grade Valvoline synthetics in the past.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Oh and the 20w50 crowd against the 5w30 crowd has become the 0w40 crowd against the 20wt crowd.
smirk2.gif

Do the people here at BITOG that recommend the cheapest D1/G2 SNPlus oils realize that all are NOT the same?
How come I can read the literature on name-brand oils like Castrol, Mobil-1, Pennzoil and Valvoline that say it either stops deposit formation, or reduces deposit formation...... but it says no such thing on any SN Plus D1/G2 5w30 jug of Supertech Syn?

Just because these no-name brands meet the specs, doesn't mean they actually do the job correctly.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

smirk2.gif

Do the people here at BITOG that recommend the cheapest D1/G2 SNPlus oils realize that all are NOT the same?
How come I can read the literature on name-brand oils like Castrol, Mobil-1, Pennzoil and Valvoline that say it either stops deposit formation, or reduces deposit formation...... but it says no such thing on any SN Plus D1/G2 5w30 jug of Supertech Syn?

Just because these no-name brands meet the specs, doesn't mean they actually do the job correctly.

Really you are asking this?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

smirk2.gif

If they meet the same specs and certifications which are fairly strict then they should be good to go. Marketing plays a big role for some major brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back