What's the Best Kind of House to Build ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to avoid drama in your life, and the uncertainty of knowing exactly how the new house will feel and the vibe it will give off until it is built, buy an existing house. If not, have fun. You can always sell it if you end up not liking it as much as you thought you would during the planning stage.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
You can get a 800 sq ft single wide for about $15-20K, and drop it on top of an old missile silo.

Uncle Eddy has that option covered already, I asked Clarke G. about it

Look up monolithic dome homes. Not for everyone but no need for tornado shelter with these cuz they are the shelter!

U could also look into cordwood masonry. There is a book written by Rob Roy about this construction type. If U have the time to build, U can do it yourself for little money.

Build it as an Energy Star rated home.

You’ll pay upfront for superior insulation(typically spray), sealing, HVAC etc however you will love low energy bills, comfort and resale.

If decent heat is required radiant heat is the bomb! You lower thermostat and actually feel warmer vs conventional baseboard or force hot air that only so your upper half.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
yep, whatever we do a vinyl sided I'd like to avoid. Newer vinyl sided houses it's like there's nothing substantial between you and the outdoors, I mean seriously you have a 5/8" drywall board, a sheet of plastic vapor barrier, some fiberglass insulation batting, poly hard foam sheathing, house wrap, and vinyl siding that's what, 3/32" thick? I'd prefer brick veneer instead of vinyl siding.

I'm getting info on log homes now. We like the more contemporary styled log houses using D logs so the interior side is flat.

space wise, maybe 1700 sq ft living space. Single level if possible.

Isn't there plywood nailed to the studs, then covered by the styrofoam / wrap, then vinyl siding?

I vote, stick and brick.

Brick exterior = long term durabilty, best resale.
Stick and drywall interior, best value

The combination has been done for decades, reasonably priced, everyone knows how to do it.
Be wary sometimes of technology that is too new, there have been some past disasters, certain foam insulation, aluminum wiring, certain stucco, etc, etc. Sometimes time proven methods are best and cheapest. Agree with the others on make sure insulation is rock solid, done right.

The one we're building is brick all around, all wood trim (no MDF) inside or out, 9 ft ceilings in the basement, 9 ft upstairs for bedrooms and baths, 11 ft down the middle where the greatroom is. Small house on a small lot, never have to go downstairs except to change the furnace filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back