What's so complicated about headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving at night w/o lights is an epidemic here in Minneapolis. I don't even think you can explain to me how you can drive down the road, and not realize your lights are off.... especially in the winter months.

Good call Reddy45
lol.gif

I am very, very diligent in turning my high beams off before even coming into direct light contact with an oncoming vehicle. My HID headlights put out 3000 lumens. With high beams I bet total output is in excess of 5000 plus lumens. So, I pay a lot of attention and as soon as I see the light from another vehicles headlights coming I turn my high beams off. I don't want to be that moron needlessly blinding people. But.... I will turn them on for retards that don't have common sense or common courtesy. Then.... I am super glad I have Ray Charles headlights. So.. I can easily blind them. Not all that many cars or trucks have headlight packages as bright as mine. So, I can do well more than enough to hold my own.

There's a mental midget that drives on a road near me who is such a fatherless child that even on a two lane road that champion leaves their high beams on. Think they have either a Lexus or MB.... They are really, really bright like my headlights. But I fight fire with fire and turn my high beams on against that world champion give them a dose if what that moron is doing. I say unto that aka fatherless child... GYSOT
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not a fan of auto-lights. I like to turn my lights on at dusk and dawn, since the area of 95 near me runs east-west and the sun can be very bright. Any bit of extra visibility helps, I think.

DRL are better than nothing. I’ve been nearly hit merging onto the highway in inclement weather, due to someone not getting over and not having any lights on.

My personal favorite are those who modify their lights, so that they can have the fog lights on with their running lights; the stealth look.

//

The 90’s were all about neon light kits (INSIDE and outside), misaligned PIAA fogs and other “driving” lights and other annoying lighting setups. Not many millenials driving in the 90’s. Most of the brodawgs I see driving around today with annoying lights are my age or older (30s).

//

Some old dude was behind me a couple of years ago, riding my butt with HID headlights and fogs that were literally the brightest I’ve ever seen. I felt like I was being tractor-beamed into some alien space ship! As soon as I could, I pulled over, got behind him and flashed my high beams. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk; I didn’t see anyone else flash him in that 10 mile stretch of twisty backroads, and I didn’t want him to think, like I read/hear sometimes, that, “I’ve had [[censored]] HID retros for forever and no one has ever flashed me! They must be fine...yo!”

He actually pulled over to see what my deal was (surprisingly politely). I asked him if he realized how bright all four of his front lights were and he said he couldn’t turn the fogs off individually and that he didn’t know how to fix the brightness. I’m guessing he had enough to install them, but can’t afford to modify or remove them. Idiot.

Don't act all GOD [censored] HOLIER THAN THOU BTOG!

It happened to me I forget to turn my lights on when leaving walmart, since streets are lit up, you don't realize your headlights are off.

Nothing worse than the "I'm special" donkey-holes who ride around in a big wheel jacked-up pickup truck whose lights are pointed right into oncoming driver's eyes. Sadly the traffic cops most often do nothing to these "special" types of pickup driving donkey-holes. World class tools...plain and simple.

I think the main problem is, car manufacturers light up the instrument clusters without the headlights on, so people don’t think about it.

It also annoys me that automatic headlights aren’t standard equipment on a lot of cars, even my Sonata.

But I’ve seen BMWs and Mercedes too without headlights on. Why isn’t that standard equipment? Even my old Camry has automatic headlights and it isn’t even a fancy trim level.

GM is the only manufacturer that does it right. The control defaults to auto and the headlights go on automagically with the wipers.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Don't act all GOD [censored] HOLIER THAN THOU BTOG!

It happened to me I forget to turn my lights on when leaving walmart, since streets are lit up, you don't realize your headlights are off.

And what did you do when you realized? What if someone had turned their lights off and on to let you know? Would you have been bright enough to figure it out? My guess is yes.

We’ve all made mistakes. Whether we leave a brightly-lit gas station with our lights off or cut someone off unintentionally. The difference between us and those we’re complaining about, is the reaction to the mistake and driving patterns. Does the offender eventually rectify the situation by waving a hand in apology, etc., or are they just a clueless, selfish driver? No holier-than-thou needed. It’s a FACT that some driver simply should NOT be on the road. Others have plenty of skill, but drive like anuses.

I’ve personally seen people drive around on relatively dark highways without any lights on, not even DRL! I find it amusing to watch the one dude who takes it upon himself to sit behind said lightless vehicle and proceed to put on a heckuva sweet light show. Sometimes (not all the time), the person finally turns their lights on, so it’s not an electrical failure in those cases. I saw a dude literally reading a newspaper across his steering wheel! I’ve seen people cut across multiple lanes of congested traffic to not miss an exit. The only thing preventing an accident in some of those cases, is the quick reaction of the other drivers, NOT luck or the offender needling skills.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
GM is the only manufacturer that does it right. The control defaults to auto and the headlights go on automagically with the wipers.

Even the old GM trucks that didn't have obtrusive DRLs worked pretty well, too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think the main problem is, car manufacturers light up the instrument clusters without the headlights on, so people don’t think about it.

It also annoys me that automatic headlights aren’t standard equipment on a lot of cars, even my Sonata.

Both my 1999 Camry le and my mother's 2009 sonata have automatic lights. Mine were fully automatic (I disabled them and the drl, the only way the car has lights on is if I turn the switch on) With the sonata, the light switch reads like this,

Off, parking,on, Auto.

This. I see OP's complaints regularly, but to be fair, I turned on my running lights while waiting for someone, forgot to turn the headlights on. Not totally obvious since the dash is still completely lit. Then I realized folks were flashing their lights at me! Not like my MG where the dash is completely dark if the lights are off.

But I’ve seen BMWs and Mercedes too without headlights on. Why isn’t that standard equipment? Even my old Camry has automatic headlights and it isn’t even a fancy trim level.

They are automatic on my Mercedes but you have to switch the switch to auto. Works pretty well. They come on quickly when you're in a tunnel and if the wipers are on, the head lights stay on automatically. My guess is they may have shut it off when playing around with the front and rear fog lights.

I imagine some % of the people who drive with their hi-beams on are ignorant that they are blinding others. Something like "Oh, I have a bright mode. I can see better!".

Automakers should have it so it turns off after x minutes and you have to click it back on. I imagine some clicked it on one time and forgot about it.

The automatic lights on the Tahoe work well/quickly … these things just need to become standard …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The automatic lights on the Tahoe work well/quickly … these things just need to become standard …

It won't kill the automakers to install a photoelectric cell, install a different stalk assembly or dash switch and add a relay or a few lines of code into the body control module - but it's still a "luxury" item.

My car had automatic headlights in Japan and Europe, Toyota decided the US-spec cars didn't need them.

It completely baffles me how many drivers I see driving at night with no lights on, in spite of the fact that today's vehicles have more lights on the front than ever before. As if headlights aren't enough, vehicles now have to come with DRLs, and those stupid looking "mad eyebrow" lights. There are two things I don't understand about DRLs; why don't they turn off when the headlights are on (after all, the "D" stands for daytime), and why are they always aimed in such a way that they shine directly into oncoming driver's eyes? They can be more annoying and blinding than high beams...and those LED light bars should be outlawed...people with those turned on coming at me get my high beams until they pass by...I see quite a few semis running those...

Originally Posted By: grampi
and those LED light bars should be outlawed

Those are illegal to run on the street here in Texas. Guy at work got pulled over by the highway patrol the other day for having his on. I hate those things too. They give a vehicle that cheap "flea market" look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back