What Temperature Do You Set Your Thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quite an interesting thread. I always thought 68-70 is a sweet spot in winter, but guess I was wrong
laugh.gif

Normally set at 69F, but may bump it up a little if nighttime temps go below 0F. I normally wear wool socks and LJ bottoms as I am in and out a lot, and the electric blanket gets regular use.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thermostat? If it gets chilly I throw more wood on the fire.

I'd probably get back into wood stoves....but the wood is EXPENSIVE here in Washington State. Do you cut/split your own? If I was younger and didn't have a bum spine, I'd enjoy that.....but having a few cords of split wood delivered is just not worth the price anymore. Thought about pellet, but not sure I would save anything.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thermostat? If it gets chilly I throw more wood on the fire.

I'd probably get back into wood stoves....but the wood is EXPENSIVE here in Washington State. Do you cut/split your own? If I was younger and didn't have a bum spine, I'd enjoy that.....but having a few cords of split wood delivered is just not worth the price anymore. Thought about pellet, but not sure I would save anything.

I was just kidding. I should have put a disclaimer out. But, I have had wood stoves and pellet stoves. Wood gives the best heat but with Govt restricting fires on burn ban days (generally when it’s cold) it’s not worth it anymore. Good to have in emergencies though. Pellet stoves are convenient but you need dry space to hold 1-2 tons of bags. A 6x8 space will work great. If outside they tend to soak up moisture from our damp climate. A good and cheap source is needed as well. Not all brands of pellets are the same. I used a bag a day in our old house but if the temp went below freezing then 1.5 bags. We had wood/gas as a backup when power went out.

Right now we have just a electric furnace. I set it to 66 during the day and 60 at night. I am considering a heat pump because of energy costs.

I’m not far from you, down in Puyallup.

Even though we're in Arizona at 3300' elevation we're seeing low 20s and some high teens in the morning. Thermostat is in the hallway and is usually set at 72-73 to see 70 in the kitchen/living area. 65 overnight gives low 60s in the bedrooms. If I'm cold I click it up a degree until I'm not.

Couldn't edit but I wanted to add an addendum for anyone reading and for those who responded:

Do you set your temperature because that's where you're comfortable or for energy savings?

Originally Posted By: GeorgeKaplan
Couldn't edit but I wanted to add an addendum for anyone reading and for those who responded:

Do you set your temperature because that's where you're comfortable or for energy savings?
Don’t care about energy savings here in Phoenix, not going to make that big of a difference.

I’ve got a 17-1/2 year old dog and she’s freezing all the time so I leave it at 72 during the day.

Both. When I'm home and awake, room temperature is 71 F, so I go with it. I turn it down when sleeping or out. On the flip side, when it's AC season, I don't get it going until the inside temperature exceeds 85 F, then I set it in the high 70s for the warm spell. Heat, I can live with.

Comfort. We didn't move here from NW Pennsylvania to be cold. 71-73 winter, 78-80 summer.

Definitely comfort. I'm hot blooded and it seems like I'm always hot. I very rarely ever feel cold.

67 while I am home, 57 while away, 50-55 while on vacation. 3 zone heat, 2-story 1800 square foot house built in the late 1800s. Unused bedrooms are at 50 and doors closed, other one is 57 while unoccupied and 61-63 at night.

No a/c so those are just heat #'s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Definitely comfort. I'm hot blooded and it seems like I'm always hot. I very rarely ever feel cold.

Maybe we should switch places of residences for the next couple months.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Maybe we should switch places of residences for the next couple months.
wink.gif

Heck yeah my brother!
grin.gif

60 when sleeping, 70 when around the house, 72 evenings/dinner and TV.

unused bedrooms/office on second floor, door closed at night, temps will drop to mid 50s sometimes

Last edited:

I set my temps to avoid itchy skin. I cannot overheat my body when wearing layers of clothes. If I do, then I must increase the level of my humidifier and that means wet windows. No thanks!

I already use sensitive skin soaps and want to avoid lotions all over my body. So the temp gets lowered....... stays lowered!

It can get cold down south too.

While not for long and not super cold, we do have to use heaters down here too.

67°F during the day
63°F at night.

Every once in a while we do bump it up to 69-70 if there is a cold, wet chill and the heater has not turned on for a few days.

Come on up to Treasure Lake today
smile.gif

11 and feel like -8 now :^)

Beer will freeze even in cooler on our
Deck

Definitely comfort. I've always felt that part of my working hard, often outdoors, was to be balanced by having my habitat as comfortable as possible. Still feel that way in retirement. That being said, I prefer a lower thermostat setting than my wife but she's accomodating. If I'm sweating while trying to sleep, I don't get restful sleep. Most places we go on vacation are screened to make sure the sleeping area at minimum has climate controls during the vacation planning process, and that there are no energy use surcharges. We turn off the climate controls when not in the sleeping area and have never had a complaint from an innkeeper.

My in-laws are strange. They live in a retirement community in the Houston area with utiity bills paid, but set their thermostat at 80°F in summer and around 70°F in winter, as if this saves them money somehow . . . I rarely visit and never stay overnight at their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back