What job for a young, intelligent woman with a communications degree?

My 26 year old niece broke up with her boyfriend and I'm renting her my walkout basement apartment. She moved here hoping there might be more opportunities with her BA in communications. She is smart, well spoken and can carry on a conversation with anyone. Right now she's an order picker at a grocery store. She has a talk radio voice and has done a few voice overs for ads but said those only paid $250 each.

She was just offered a part-time job at a radio station for $17 an hour and was told she could make more if sponsors wanted her for ad work. She turned it down. I told her many people start low, traverse their way into bigger and better things and that radio might get you recognition.

What jobs should she look into?

She needs to take a step back and see if the radio gig is still available.
I somewhat agree that her choice of degree was not the most advisable one, especially if she is not willing to do the work and pay her dues to develop name recognition.
Very few (if any) are going to get rich in a media gig.
She needs to take the job for if no other reason, the opportunity to build name recognition and network in the field.
I'd say the best possible job with that degree would be a Public Information Officer, in either the public or private sector, or a PR opportunity.
However, those types of jobs are offered to people with media experience, who worked their way up through opportunities like she was offered, or worked in other news gigs in very small markets.
She isn't going to get there working at Kroger.

Commercial Insurance. Plenty of entry-level roles at a larger agency for someone new. There is a lot of need for talent.

communications is a very broad field. What is her expertise. Is hers writing or multimedia or? Whatever the case her current portfolio is all that likely matters. She needs to be taking whatever gig jobs she is offered to build it.

What was she doing before ?

My 26 year old niece broke up with her boyfriend and I'm renting her my walkout basement apartment. She moved here hoping there might be more opportunities with her BA in communications. She is smart, well spoken and can carry on a conversation with anyone. Right now she's an order picker at a grocery store. She has a talk radio voice and has done a few voice overs for ads but said those only paid $250 each.

She was just offered a part-time job at a radio station for $17 an hour and was told she could make more if sponsors wanted her for ad work. She turned it down. I told her many people start low, traverse their way into bigger and better things and that radio might get you recognition.

What jobs should she look into?
There is money to be made in media but it's rapidly changing. I myself recieved a degree in Journalism in 2017. Currently it's been a tough road. I was a tech writer for a low cost airline (with the animals on the tail) until the pandemic. I'm trying to get back into aviation. Radio USED to pay really well. With a few conglomerates taking over like Iheart and audicy many local dj's are getting displaced. I bit the bullet and went to my local dvr and they put me into contact with a job placement person. It's been a little rough as I'm currently working security and don't like it. There are hr/ public spokespeople of many larger companies which might be a strong start. Similar to pr. Good luck I feel your pain

Absolutely, positively consider ATC. Air Traffic Control needs qualified people. And the starting locations are NOT Newark, Los Angles or other major city, but more remote cities and locations.

Could be tower or center.

160125n_1316.jpg

floorresised.jpg

I'm going to suggest anything authoritative would suit her well (supervisor/manager etc.)
Working up to a management-type role where she's in charge of instructing people will pay well, she just has to choose a career and stick with it.
Companies will pay her for her skills she acquires along the way.

Marketing or some sort of commercial/industrial account rep. A person who can continue a good conversation is worth their weight in gold as an account rep.

I worked in broadcast TV (eng/ops) for 17 years and was so broke I figured out car mechanics because my muffler was falling off, LOL, and I couldn't afford to take it to a garage. I stuck with it after I burned out because the odd shifts helped my young kids avoid day care at the time and bolted to a trade when the opportunity arose.

She should take the $17 if she wants to pursue this. That's about as good as it gets.

I second the ATC idea, IIRC you have to be 28 or younger to join because of mandatory retirement ages, and their desire to get 20 years out of their trainees.

Former news anchors here become spokespeople for governors or the dept of public safety. A former weatherman turned into a realtor.

Back