What is your cars recommended wheel nut torque?

2017 Accord, 2015 Altima -80

On her daughters 2015 Jeep Cherokee it’s 110 I believe, my torque wrench only goes to 80 so on hers I hit it with my impact

On my old Tiguan, it was 89 lb-ft for 4Motion and 103 lb-ft for FWD. Why? I have no idea, as my previous FWD VW's have been 89 lb-ft also

I think it's crazy but the little ford maverick is like 148 ft pounds due to m14x1.5 10.9 hardness studs. I think the ford edge is up there too

I think it's crazy but the little ford maverick is like 148 ft pounds due to m14x1.5 10.9 hardness studs. I think the ford edge is up there too
I believe Ford uses that torque (200 nm) for all 14mm studs. My older F150 has 2.0mm pitch and specs that. Newer ones with 1.5mm pitch also do. I'd expect without extensive research that tension and stretch at 1.5mm pitch will be 33% greater than with 2.0mm.

I believe Ford uses that torque (200 nm) for all 14mm studs. My older F150 has 2.0mm pitch and specs that. Newer ones with 1.5mm pitch also do. I'd expect without extensive research that tension and stretch at 1.5mm pitch will be 33% greater than with 2.0mm.
I will say before I put the new wheels on the car after the ride home from the dealer, I checked the torque on the wheels before I removed them. The factory did not torque them anywhere near what they speced. I did incrementally torque the new wheels up to about 145. I first put 20 pounds to each nut then 40 60 100 120 140 in a star pattern. Then retorqued them all to 145 after 50 or so miles. A little extreme but I know each wheel is perfect an no vibrations. Not looking forward to ever removing them

I'm just curious to see if most wheels are torqued to about the same pressure. Are steel wheels different than alloy wheels?

The 2011 Camry, for all wheels on all models, specifies 76 ft. lbs. of torque for the bolts. Would aftermarket wheels require a different rating?

What's the rating for your car?
The torque is dependent on the studs, not the wheels.

A few days ago I took a front wheel off to measure pad and rotor thickness. I noticed that the wheel bolts were slightly greasy. I just wiped them clean but did not degrease them. I don't care for screeching metal-on-metal sounds when torquing.

High-quality tensile fasteners, -30% torque or so when greased, they said. No tightening with gun.. how many tire shops doing it anyway. 🤔
(my car manual says nothing about wheels...)

Last edited:
Back