What is the best /worst jobs you have had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I'm at the worst right now and have been for nine years.

Why is that, what are you currently doing ?

Because it's for a corporation that is dysfunctional, asks too much of us, and changes priorities at the drop of a hat. I guess it's just the whole corporate grind I don't like. I worked for a smaller company for twelve years before coming here. I also think supply chain management is a lot less enjoyable than it used to be. I have some hard decisions to make soon as once I no longer have to pay child support I can afford to take a pay cut.

Originally Posted By: marine65
worst job was baiting hooks with clams for cod fishing long lines in a cold shack in the winter.
I started out as a junior baiter getting 50 cents a box.
after I got better and faster I got 75 cents a box as a master baiter.

Your latter position leads me to believe you didn't touch a box at all.

Worst: so far I'm fortunate and haven't really done anything that would be considered worst, other than a company that almost went bankrupt and were late on paycheck once in a while. People were nice and it was fun but just the money is not reliable. I had to live at home and commute 120 miles a day to survive on that paycheck.

Best for work environment: a company that had a lot of young people around my age, and lots of fun activities (carnival day, nice outdoor BBQ team building, etc), I'm sure top companies like Google and Facebook would be even better but it was pretty good back then.

Best for pay, worst for work environment: one of the biggest cloud computing company in the world. The team was founded as a promotion project for one of the manager and was about 20-30% staffed vs other companies in the industry doing the same project. The manager who founded the team has no freaking idea what to do and though it was just buying components and slap them together. Ended up with delays that he had to cover up (because if the upper management found out the whole team will be scraped), lots of politics between HQ (people hired from other industries) and our satellite office (industry veterans hired locally), and in the end start throwing people under the bus to buy time (they have a 10% performance based exit policy annually). Have to work 2-3 all nighters a week on top of regular hours to catch up the workload.

Worst: Being a Doffer in a cotton and thread mill in West Texas. 100 deg. temps, 98% humidity. Covered with cotton fuzz all day.
Second worst: Being a Crew Chief on a B52 on nuclear alert in Glasgow MT. -60 deg. Wind blowing 40 MPH. Always got you out of bed around 2 AM to go play war games.

Best: Being retired!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Must have been impressive to see the B-52s with cartridge starts and scramble.

Yes it was. Replacing the cartridge, fuel top-off, and post inspection required freezing my fingers when I had to take the artic mitts off!

The best job was when they would bring cake and food on a regular basis.
Otherwise, they all have been the same.

Hauling 55 gallon barrels of trash from the car washes to the dump. Really nasty trash people didn't want at their house always seemed to wind up there. In Summer it would get a good 100+ degree sun bake for a few days before it was picked up. I liked driving the flat bed Chevrolet Apache trash truck, with the non ( or just flat worn out ) synchro four speed with granny gear, and on/off switch clutch, though. And it had a hydraulic Tommy Lift to haul the barrels to the flat bed, mercifully. The dump was cool. Lots of flies and radio parts to be scavenged from the old TV's and radios laying around the dump. Once in a while I still use a part scavenged from the old days.

Digging out the car wash pits was also nasty work. Stuff people didn't want washed off in their driveway wound up ( drum roll ) in the car wash pit, embedded in thick, gooey, heavy, MUD.

The 11 yrs I worked in the shipyard, the last 8 on the night shift had good and bad points. Absolute worst was a small newspaper printing outfit that slung ink everywhere. The Goss presses were old and worn. Dangerous too. Best was the job I retired from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back