Move over Florida! Iowa is ranked the best place to retire - while Alaska, New York and California come out worst

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Didn't see this analysis coming.... But maybe I should have.

Iowa has been ranked as the best state to retire due to its reasonable cost of living, affordable but high-quality healthcare, and low crime levels.

The Hawkeye state overtook historic retirement paradise Florida which came out top last year, according to Bankrate's annual retirement study.
Bankrate ranked all 50 states on affordability, overall well-being, quality and cost of healthcare, weather and crime - and found the best and worst states for retirees were split geographically.

'The Midwest and the South claim the top five states, while the Northeast and West claim the bottom five states, primarily because of the differences in cost of living,' said Bankrate analyst Alex Gailey.

Following Iowa, Delaware, West Virginia, Missouri and Mississippi were ranked as the best states to retire, while New York, California, Washington and Massachusetts rounded out the bottom five.

If you want to retire counting your pennies like Scrooge McDuck...

What about access to medical facilities, museums, natural wonders, cool (or warm) air, oceans, lakes, mountains... Public transit, airports, seaports, spaceports, interstates...

I have a huge problem with these arbitrary rankings of "best" whatever or "worst" whatever. The problem is whoever compiles these rankings do so by arbitrarily choosing what criteria to use, and what criteria to arbitrarily ignore. Most have some sort of agenda to push. One ranking might use "diversity, arts, and alternative lifestyles" while another might use "low crime rates, low taxes, and job opportunities". The results would likely be miles apart.

I like hard data, such as states people are leaving vs. states people are moving to. That's easily quantifiable, no spin, and no back agenda.

I have a huge problem with these arbitrary rankings of "best" whatever or "worst" whatever. The problem is whoever compiles these rankings do so by arbitrarily choosing what criteria to use, and what criteria to arbitrarily ignore. Most have some sort of agenda to push. One ranking might use "diversity, arts, and alternative lifestyles" while another might use "low crime rates, low taxes, and job opportunities". The results would likely be miles apart.

I like hard data, such as states people are leaving vs. states people are moving to. That tells a whole lot.
Can't argue against a single word in your post. It's funny, the article lists west Virginia in the top five to include low tax burden, yet west Virginia taxes social security, pensions, etc. Numerous states don't tax social security, etc. Taxing social security should be a automatic no-go for a retirement checklist.

Delaware is a "rigged" state, and it's residents benefit greatly from the corruption .no different than residents of Rosemont, IL benefit massively from the corruption.

Nonetheless, the article is fun to look at and try to draw some information for those soon to retire that may benefit from a move.

From the same article:

Once you start receiving Social Security benefits, you’ll owe federal taxes on a portion of the payments as long as your income exceeds certain thresholds. You might also owe state taxes on the benefits depending on where you live. For the 2022 tax year, 11 states tax Social Security benefits: Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Utah and Vermont. All other states and the District of Columbia do not tax the payments.

West Virginia had previously taxed Social Security payments but started phasing out the tax in 2020, and will not be charged in the 2022 tax year. Several other states are either in the process of phasing out the tax or are exploring eliminating the tax entirely.

I like hard data, such as states people are leaving vs. states people are moving to. That's easily quantifiable, no spin, and no back agenda.

Retirees look for low taxes, access to good healthcare, low cost of living and mild weather. That's it basically.

Didn't see this analysis coming.... But maybe I should have.

Iowa has been ranked as the best state to retire due to its reasonable cost of living, affordable but high-quality healthcare, and low crime levels.
I've been saying for years that Iowa is a great place to live and even drive through. Now maybe people will listen :)

YUP! DIE is strongly considered on many of these "rankings". No thank you. Most retirees don't require an alternative lifestyle, they require reasonable costs.

As a FL resident, one should know that property tax is based on the home's selling price. So it is quite possible to have a modest but pricy home and a $21,000 property tax bill, along with a $12,000 hurricane insurance bill. The combo of the two can exceed a typical mortgage of just a few years ago, and be unaffordable for many retirees.

So while FL may have low taxes, it depends on if you are just moving in or a long time resident.

I paid $157k for my house in Jupiter, FL. If I sell it for $600K, my $6,500 tax bill will be $12K for the next guy. If by some miracle, the home sells for $900K, the tax burden would be near $20K. It's a 3/2 not near the water.

I dont disagree yet I dont have a problem with them. (maybe because 16 years ago I relocated to a very good area (Carolinas)
I agree they are skewed to whatever the publisher thinks best but using the data you can also pick what is best for you.

I'll use my own as an example. For years Florida was a top pick, heck after moving to South Carolina 16 years ago we made 7 trips to Florida in 2022 and almost bought a house, right down to the contracts were sent to us. We didnt sign and ended up on the coast of North Carolina was the best decision ever.

So even though if you want to be near the ocean in the Southeast and even though Florida is ranked so high because as I see it a preconceived notion that things are still rosy there and cheap. If one chooses from a list of places in those stories near the ocean they may run across North and South Carolina. Because of the article it may not have been a top choice but one would learn the rapid growth of these areas and take a look.
Florida to us is overrated now, maybe if coming from a northeastern state it still seems cheap but if like us who moved from the northeast to SC for 16 years Florida wasnt close to cheap, in fact, call me crazy between Homes price for what you get, Taxes, HOAs and CDD fees (almost unique to Florida) traffic congestion ... ummmm ... anyway, loving the coast of NC at a fraction of the cost in a new home. In a gated golf resort community ( I dont play golf though), private security too, multiple pools, tennis, pickle ball, gyms ect.
Dirt cheap taxes ( I still cant believe it), NO CDD fees and less than $100 month HOA which is the same as my taxes (LOL(

Actually closer to the ocean too. Only thing I wish we had were closer since the area is growing so fast medical facilities can still be a short trip for any complicated procudures where a place like Jacksonville FL seems to have everything right there. They have been building them but like everything is seems, need more doctors too. Im still in well respected networks including Duke, but the major things (if I ever need something) will be a trip.

What I am saying is people can use them as a guide but not consider their thoughts the "final say" by any means. Sometimes I bring up Consumer Reports in here and get trashed but I try to explain, something to use as a guide, get insight and then choose what is important to you.

Last edited:
My wife is a New Hampshire girl and that's probably where we'll end up. That or Maine.

We love ATV's, Sleds, Skiing, camping, dirt roads and outdoors. Just a few more years to go.......
Good luck--we're expensive. :)

In retirement though you don't need good access to the cities, although that can be nice for shopping or healthcare needs. Shop carefully, look at property taxes, some places are cheaper than others.

Nice and quiet life though. I've lived in both. Leaving Maine was hard, well easy as I needed a job and that was that. As I get older I like winter less and less, but going down the seaboard it tends to get hotter and more humid, which I don't like either. Wife loves NH and so I suspect we're here until the end. Once I'm retired I figure I can always travel and get away for a week or two in winter, if I really need to.

Yes, its laughable to try to spin Delaware as "destination" retirement state.
Actually lots of people (from the northeast) retire in Delaware. Obviously none of them go to Wilmington, they retire near the beach. Reasonably priced property taxes and homeowners insurance, no sales tax, mild weather (by at least some people's standards), no hurricanes. Not sure about auto insurance. State income tax might be the worst part, but still lower than a lot of other places in the northeast. If you aren't too close to the beach you can get a house with a basement (although basements aren't common in that part of Delaware).

Actually lots of people (from the northeast) retire in Delaware. Obviously none of them go to Wilmington, they retire near the beach. Reasonably priced property taxes and homeowners insurance, no sales tax, mild weather (by at least some people's standards), no hurricanes. Not sure about auto insurance. State income tax might be the worst part, but still lower than a lot of other places in the northeast. If you aren't too close to the beach you can get a house with a basement (although basements aren't common in that part of Delaware).
Yup...I was born there and live only 7 miles from Newark...
Totally very valid points.
For me new car taxes would be the biggest benefit.... 😂

Back