What is the best Mobil 1 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I don't think we know enough about AP to say too much about it, haven't seen a comprehensive VOA with NOACK, CCS, and nice stuff like that.

I know it's not concrete evidence, but Mobil guarantees EP up to 15,000 miles and AP up to 20,000 miles. That would lead you to believe that AP is a better oil.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
What do you mean by "best"?

The 2GR-FE is very easy on oil, so even the cheapest off-the-shelf oil you can find at Walmart or Meijer will get you to 300k on that engine.

Best:

Best on start up, wear, quietness...

I’ can’t decide between those oils:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034372

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Annual-Protection-5W30-5-qt/55502864

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-30...l-5-qt/17034369

Last edited:
This one...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
I was just about to ask a similar question. What is the difference between EP, AP and AFE? I have a '17 CRV, 1.5L turbo so I worry about LSPI and doesn't look like AFE meets the dex1 gen 2 spec, but the other two do.

Ultimately, between EP and AP, price not being a factor, which one is better?

All the main M1 0W-20's are listed on the dexos1 page including AFE, EP, AP and SS.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Worst: 0w40

Best: 10w40 High Mileage

Thinkin you've got that backwards.

0W-40 is easily Mobil's best oil.

Maybe it used to be when it was a premium product with a good base, not anymore.

Maybe it used to be when it was a premium product with a good base, not anymore.

How is it deficient now? Other than no longer having Longlife-01 (which no one knows why) it still has all the other certifications it had before including Porsche A40. What makes it bad now?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Worst: 0w40

Best: 10w40 High Mileage

Thinkin you've got that backwards.

0W-40 is easily Mobil's best oil.

Which base? When it was PAO several years ago and used to shear like crazy? Or perhaps you mean when it was VISOM based.

It's now GTL GP III+ and it's the finest oil across their whole line... Certified for extended drains in some serious engines.

PP and PUP are GP III+ GTL as well... Are they not premium products?

Yes I prefer Castrol's 0W-40 to Mobil's, but I recognize that Mobil 1 0W-40 is still one of the best oils you can buy from any manufacturer at any price.

As far as grades go, 0W-40 would be the best. It has the most approvals of any of them and can be used in gas and diesel applications, something the others can't.

Originally Posted By: BIMMA

Talking about 2GR-FE engine, 0W30 or 5W30?

For a regular engine like that I would run regular vanilla M1 5W30.
I think it is a well designed and well balanced product, good specs, good reputation, I'm using it myself right now.

AP might be … but it’s a 20/30 product and still near a “boutique” price …
Best for me comes down to allocation having a new 0w20 motor holding 8 quarts … (replaced 5w30 mill)
both the Cruze and Fusion are at the century mark … so with mostly M1 EP 5w30 in stash - guess it’s time to start that Ford 4 banger on 30 …

Best? Probably the ESP if money is not the only object …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Best for me comes down to allocation having a new 0w20 motor holding 8 quarts … (replaced 5w30 mill)
both the Cruze and Fusion are at the century mark … so with mostly M1 EP 5w30 in stash - guess it’s time to start that Ford 4 banger on 30 …

Not sure which flavor of ESP you are referring to, but one thing to be aware of concerning the 5W30 is that is has a low starting TBN.
It also has some outstanding properties like low NOACK loss and a high HTHS for a 5W30, but it might not be well suited to long OCIs on US gasoline. It is a dexos2 oil that seems to be targeted to European diesel passenger cars, the XOM website says that it is OK for gas vehicles but their customer service actually told me that their product warranties would not apply in my FXT without giving me any concrete reasons.
I could be wrong here, but my memory is that edyvw or another MB owner on here reported that some MB dealers in the US started using M1 5W30 ESP as their standard fill for diesel and gas vehicles on long OCIs and caused a number of sludging issues in gassers.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Not sure which flavor of ESP you are referring to, but one thing to be aware of concerning the 5W30 is that is has a low starting TBN.
It also has some outstanding properties like low NOACK loss and a high HTHS for a 5W30, but it might not be well suited to long OCIs on US gasoline. It is a dexos2 oil that seems to be targeted to European diesel passenger cars, the XOM website says that it is OK for gas vehicles but their customer service actually told me that their product warranties would not apply in my FXT without giving me any concrete reasons.
I could be wrong here, but my memory is that edyvw or another MB owner on here reported that some MB dealers in the US started using M1 5W30 ESP as their standard fill for diesel and gas vehicles on long OCIs and caused a number of sludging issues in gassers.

US gasoline sulfur content dropped to 10ppm in 2017, matching Europe. Should be ok if one is paranoid about LSPI or valve deposits.

Last edited:
I think about them application specific ~ I don’t have anything for the M1 30 ESP … if I had a BMW Diesel … game on

Right now I’d only consider AP in the new Tahoe … but after a price drop and a better understanding of where the OLM lets me take it on OCI …

My M1 EP 5w30 stash will go to the Fusion to step it up a grade at 100k ...
Cruze just bumped up from 30 to M1 0w40 like where I’m at right now … (Oz) … it’s near 100k too …
Got stash of Delvac dino and synthetic on sale … so that holds the other 5.3L for a good while (OPE too?)

I put Mobil 1 0w20 AP in my car in May of this year. I currently have about 2,500 miles on the oil. I work from home 2-3 days a week, and my commute to the office is 6.5 miles. I also occasionally start the car up after it sits all night and back it out of the driveway so my gf can take her car to work. This is severe service. I plan on running this oil through the winter months and taking a sample around spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back