What does it take to test drive a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they had a bunch of unsold sitting on the lot, it would be a different situation as the dealers would be anxious to move them. Apparently there are enough buyers who know for sure they want the car coming into the dealerships.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

At least sit in the showroom car so you know you can see out and it feels good then RENT one for a week, then
you'll really know if you want one!

Who rents Chargers SRT?

Not in Dallas, they go out of their way to have you test drive their car. They normal get a copy of your Driver License though.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Bottom line: If you're in sales, be careful about the assumptions you make.

Yep, my normal attire on weekends is jeans, singlet, and flanellette or Hawaian shirt.

Years ago, I had a Friday off, transferred some money into my home deposit savings acount (it was one of those modern bank books that they ran through the printer, not long after they were introduced), and I was up to $10k.

And as any guy in his early 20s would do, I went to the car yard.

And saw "her" A VH Commodore SL/E wagon, v8, manual, 4 wheel disks, power steer and air con. two tone metallic blue.

Stood there ogling, and the owner walked up, and said "keep dreaming, you can't afford it" I flashed him my bankbook which was in my top pocket, and thanked him for helping me not to make what was going to be a poor impulse decision.

As I wandered off, he was calling for me to come back and talk.

All it takes is a pulse and a license to test drive most cars.
The managers who actually make these calls are really good at determining who should get to take a car out on their own and who shouldn't be allowed to touch one.
The inventory manager at the place from which we bought our newer Forester even guessed my FICO score pretty accurately just based upon my appearance and a little conversation.
I had exchanged some preliminary emails with the guy.
I was given the keys and told to go and let my wife drive it, which I did. We had a nice little ride with the sunroof open and the music blasting. We then ended up buying the car. Dealer managers aren't stupid, LOL.
Now, if you've found the one example of a special car in your area, things are a little different.
The dealer already knows that they can get a good buck out of this car and may even already have offers for it, but they're sitting on it thinking they can get a little more.
In that situation, the dealer has no reason to offer a bunch of easy test drives to people.
It may not be a Ferrari, but it is a special sort of car.
Given your user name, why not go check out some Audis? They may have some issues but they are engineered and built to a quality level you'll never see in any FCA product and they do have much nicer seats and interiors.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Who rents Chargers SRT?

*every* Charger rental is an SRT
19.gif

The fastest car is a rental car
27.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Given your user name, why not go check out some Audis? They may have some issues but they are engineered and built to a quality level you'll never see in any FCA product and they do have much nicer seats and interiors.

I am test driving Audis, too.

But I am also intrigued by American muscle cars. Life is too short to only stick to one brand. I know a Dodge can't match Audi interior, but I am hoping there are other aspects of the SRT that might possibly make me overlook its interior shortcomings.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You just have to play the game. They don't want to put unnecessary miles on the car. Not a big deal to fill out a credit app. But it'd be even easier to just say you're going to pay cash, no need for a credit app in that case. You can test drive it and then just say you want to sleep on it afterwards. The sellers can make whatever rules they want. If they're too crazy, then there's no sale.

Then we will need to see a bank statement, so bring that with you as well.

It's not even that.
I would most likely be paying cash, but I don't want to let the dealer know this up front because then they may be less flexible on the price.

It's the only one within 100 miles. And they won't let you drive it without a lot of conditions. What makes you think they're flexible?

When I shopped for a Benz, I was prepared to show a bank statement, but they actually never asked. When I bought it, I just brought a bank check.

I've sold 300k properties to people with 1 million in their account. Just because they have the money doesn't mean the property is worth more. Same with the car. You just walk out the door if they can't meet your numbers.

RANT:
I am currently trying to narrow down the field of possible vehicles to purchase. One possibility is Charger SRT. For the longest time, none of the local Dodge dealerships had any in stock. Now, one finally has one. So I want to come in for a test drive to determine if it's even something that I should continue taking into consideration.

The dealer tells me "the only way to pull it out to test drive it is to get a credit application showing that you are a qualified buyer and we need to have already agreed to numbers, terms, and conditions showing that you are going to purchase the vehicle pending an adequate test drive."

Are you kidding me? I realize they want to filter out joy riders, but this does me no good. There is no way I am going to talk numbers or fill out any applications until I first determine that I like the car.

Is this normal?

If that's the case, then I guess I have to cross this SRT off my list.

That just about mirrors my experience with Oxmoor(ons) Mazda in Louisville when I was shopping for my Mazdaspeed 3. I refused to play the "no test drive without a deposit and a buyer's order" two-step and ended up looking at Kings Mazda in Cincinnati. No hassle at all- the salesman offered a test drive before I even asked. When I decided to buy I called him and he just asked me for color and trim- and quickly located the exact car at a dealer in Northern Ohio. He had it flatbedded to Kings at no charge.

When I was working at a BMW dealer I only asked to copy the customer's drivers license. The only time I asked for a deposit and a signed order was in the case of a dealer trade- particularly if it was an oddball color or option set that would be hard to move if the customer flaked out.

Bottom line: there is no way I would give that dealer my business.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Would you want to purchase a factory hot rod that's been test driven hard?

I don't see much problem with it. The one in question already has 37 miles on it, so other people must have test driven it.

I guess I need to find a used one. They should be more willing to let me test drive that. But there aren't any used SRTs near me. I see one used R/T Scat Pack...

See, I'd never buy that car. If I can't get one with 8 mikes on it, I might as well get one with 800 or 8000 for much less money.

Allowing people to test drive is a cost of doing business, but it makes the driven car much less desirable without a lot more money off...

Another option if OP isn't going to pay cash, is show the pre approval from the preferred lender.

You shouldn't be able to find a FCA vehicle with 8 miles on it. I most are delivered with 3 or 4 miles on them and then we are required to drive them 8 to 10 miles for the PDI.

I am not sure is it a Dodge thing.
So I went three times to Dodge to check Durango R/T. I need usable three row SUV with good amount of reserve power due to high altitude, especially when ski.
Durango R/T is one that fits my preferences due to MB platform and ZF transmission. Went first time and said: hi, do not have time to test drive vehicle, just need to check interior, plus I had my kid who was like 14 months old back then. They let me check all hat I wanted, while hovering over me like I am going to steal something.
Second time I come with wife so she can check whether interior size fits her preferences (she is the one that want real third row). Same thing, two guys, fallowing us like pigeons fallow bird feeders. I said: listen guys, i do not want to waste your time, will not test drive today. I mean, I do not want to be a..hole and blew them off after test drive.
So, third time, when I finally figured I need to check R/T in order to keep it in consideration. I go there, no kid, no wife, just me, ample amount of time etc. Come there, they found every possible excuse to waste my time with how many apps infotainment system has (although told them I need sound, I do not even turn on GPS. I need good sound, but could not care less about all gimmicks), how it s famous HEMI (OK, whatever) etc.When I said: OK, let me try, guy said: well, we need some commitment etc.
I just said: thanx man, going to try Mercedes GL at CarMax.
I actually went today to check new Ford Expedition and manager said: hey, call me when ready, I will give you a car for a day to drive, test all you want, check how it fits in garage etc.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

You should have gotten the GL. They have heated/cooled cup holders in 2014+.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: edyvw

You should have gotten the GL. They have heated/cooled cup holders in 2014+.

LOL, did not get bigger SUV yet. BMW is serving purpose so far, but with expanding family, UNFORTUNATELY, it will have to go.
I know about hat, but really, most interested in torque. I tried 2016 GL450 with V6 twin turbo and it feels good. It has good punch, it is ridiculously quite and comfortable, bit soft for my taste, but it is 5,800lbs vehicle.

Last edited:
So who have you talked to at the dealership?
Sales guy?
Sales Manager?
General Manager?

Walk in and ask for the General Manager. Explain to them what the situation is. They will have final say.
Those just wanting to go for a joy ride will not escalate to this level.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Sales guy?
Sales Manager?
General Manager?

Walk in and ask for the General Manager. Explain to them what the situation is. They will have final say.

I agree, but OP is not a punk in his early 20's wasting the salesman time for a joyride.
It's annoying if you are a mature adult and they say no test drive.

I test drove a 2017 Grand Sport Corvette without any hassles. The deal breaker was the silly black wheels on 95% of all Covettes at this dealership. Base, Z51, GS and Z07 all ordered with black colored wheels, a few had chrome wheels.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Sales guy?
Sales Manager?
General Manager?

Up until this point, I only exchanged a few emails with the sales guy. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to waste my time by driving over to the dealership on the other side of town, only for them to tell me I could not test drive it.

To be fair to them, they have no way of knowing who is behind the emails, a serious buyer or a joy rider. It sounds like I will have to show up there in person and speak to the manager. Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back