What does it take to test drive a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of SRT models in OPs area, as well as relatively few used options tells me that they are in high demand. If a vehicle is in high demand, no matter its price or rarity, this type of dealer behavior is to be expected.

Years ago a Honda dealer wanted a $500 deposit from me just to start negotiating on an Accord, a freaking Accord!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Years ago a Honda dealer wanted a $500 deposit from me just to start negotiating on an Accord, a freaking Accord!

Makes me feel lucky to have test driven the S2000 at a Honda dealer years ago. It handles very well but wasn't that quick at all.

QP. Just come and visit Chicago area. It’s an easy 3 hour drive for you. There’s a mix of 392, SRT and Hellcats here according to cars.com. If you’re concerned about the cash angle, just arrange for a 3 year note and pay it off once you get the first payment due notice. Keeping the E39?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You just have to play the game. They don't want to put unnecessary miles on the car. Not a big deal to fill out a credit app. But it'd be even easier to just say you're going to pay cash, no need for a credit app in that case. You can test drive it and then just say you want to sleep on it afterwards. The sellers can make whatever rules they want. If they're too crazy, then there's no sale.

Then we will need to see a bank statement, so bring that with you as well.

It's not even that.
I would most likely be paying cash, but I don't want to let the dealer know this up front because then they may be less flexible on the price.

Last edited:
What I have found that when I take my 1999 Camry to car shopping, I get worse treatment than taking the Acura!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Surprised Charger SRT's are that rare; Quattro Pete only found one in stock
Its not like its a Demon or Hellcat. Those would be the true unicorn to find.
The Charger SRT has been out forever, and Chrysler sales have been down lately. There is something we're missing here.

Yeah - pretty sure they will make as many SRTs as they have orders for. Of the 3 "Muscle Cars" (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), the Challenger is in last place for sales for a while now.

That being said I'd not let a credit app stop me if I was really interested. Even working up #'s firsthand as long as it's documented that is 100% cancel-able.

RANT:
I am currently trying to narrow down the field of possible vehicles to purchase. One possibility is Charger SRT. For the longest time, none of the local Dodge dealerships had any in stock. Now, one finally has one. So I want to come in for a test drive to determine if it's even something that I should continue taking into consideration.

The dealer tells me "the only way to pull it out to test drive it is to get a credit application showing that you are a qualified buyer and we need to have already agreed to numbers, terms, and conditions showing that you are going to purchase the vehicle pending an adequate test drive."

Are you kidding me? I realize they want to filter out joy riders, but this does me no good. There is no way I am going to talk numbers or fill out any applications until I first determine that I like the car.

Is this normal?

If that's the case, then I guess I have to cross this SRT off my list.

There's middle ground here. I'd never agree to buy since there are other vehicles you're shopping. But showing them that the finances are there, as in you're a bona-fide potential buyer rather than a joyrider, is reasonable. I'm sure there are some very valid reasons this policy is in effect.

I'd speak with a sales manager. Show them your finances and give them the list of vehicles you're considering. If they still won't allow a test drive without a promise to buy, I agree with taking that vehicle off your list.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What I have found that when I take my 1999 Camry to car shopping, I get worse treatment than taking the Acura!

Get a weekend rental from Hertz and pull up in a new Camry. You'll get better treatment than when you drive the Acura.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It sounds familiar, we did that back in the day when people came in to test drive the Civic SI thanks to the movie Fast and Furious, IIRC. It [censored] a lot of people off, and also eliminated tire kickers and unqualified buyers wasting our time. As a salesman I took a lot of heat. I simply replied I don't make the rules I follow them, if you have a complaint take it up with management, maybe they'll bend the rules for you. We probably lost a deal or two, but other dealerships had a similar policy.

If you really want a test drive one you might have to bite the bullet and fill out a credit application, or go to a lot of dealerships. Maybe someone else has a different policy.

What if the customer was black and threatened to sue the dealership because he felt discriminated against being told he had to fill out a credit application ?

I saw on YouTube a while back some black people in their early 20's wanting to test drive a Benz, the sales people ignored them...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What if the customer was black and threatened to sue the dealership because he felt discriminated against being told he had to fill out a credit application ?

He can threaten all he wants, but if the dealership can prove that they require everyone to fill out a credit application, not just blacks, then he has no case.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Would you want to purchase a factory hot rod that's been test driven hard?

I don't see much problem with it. The one in question already has 37 miles on it, so other people must have test driven it.

I guess I need to find a used one. They should be more willing to let me test drive that. But there aren't any used SRTs near me. I see one used R/T Scat Pack...

See, I'd never buy that car. If I can't get one with 8 mikes on it, I might as well get one with 800 or 8000 for much less money.

Allowing people to test drive is a cost of doing business, but it makes the driven car much less desirable without a lot more money off...

Another option if OP isn't going to pay cash, is show the pre approval from the preferred lender.

I applied for credit online and had several offers to choose from within an hour. That is all you should need, I would never agree to anything the dealer puts out on monthly payments, and am only concerned about APR & length of loan. If they can beat your pre-approved loans great, if not, use your best best offer.

Seems your dealer is small and it might better to look elsewhere, even if that means driving 100+ miles to the next city/town to find a larger dealership with more stock, and likely better prices.

The problem with that though is what to compare it to? I'd test drive your other candidates first, that way if you do make the drive you can make the correct decision. Good luck.

Many of the dealers around here give you a $25-50 Visa gift card after a test drive. I went on a few of them and went early on busy days, Saturdays. Worked out quite well. Although I had to put up with some of their games.

Seems reasonable for a high performance model, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I were seriously in the market for one. I wouldn't want to be the buyer that bought the only one around that had 250 miles of really hard driven test drives on it.

At least sit in the showroom car so you know you can see out and it feels good then RENT one for a week, then
you'll really know if you want one!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I wouldn't want to be the buyer that bought the only one around that had 250 miles of really hard driven test drives on it.

Agreed, that car (likely over priced) would be off my list of possibilities.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

At least sit in the showroom car so you know you can see out and it feels good then RENT one for a week, then
you'll really know if you want one!

Doubtful any rentals are available if they can only manage to have one at the dealership.

This mess is the result of too many punk joy riders who test drive for entertainment with never a real intention to buy. Some even beat the new car then post it on YouTube and laugh about it.

For those who complain about lack of test drives, how many miles will you accept on a new car?

I wouldn't deal with them, period. If they have no ability or will to determine how serious you are as a buyer, forget em.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Many of the dealers around here give you a $25-50 Visa gift card after a test drive. I went on a few of them and went early on busy days, Saturdays. Worked out quite well. Although I had to put up with some of their games.

Last year when I was looking at trucks, I received a similar offer from a dealer. So I went there to test drive their brand truck. The salesman was a young guy that seemed disinterested. Maybe because I drove there in my 20 year old SUV..

I never received my Gift Card, and widened my search to all dealers of that brand in the USA. The best deal offered came from a Dealer 500 miles away, so I approved the deal, flew in, and completed the transaction when the vehicle and deal met the agreed-upon terms. Then I drove it home.

About a month later I stopped in at the original dealer parts department in my new truck to pick up an OEM accessory, and saw that young salesman. He was surprised to see me in my loaded Dually, and asked why I hadn't bought from him? I told him he never sent my gift card..

The next week I went to the same dealership parts department in my SRT, to pick up some brake pads for said SRT. I saw that same salesman again. He said something about not knowing I had one of those. I said: You never asked..

Bottom line: If you're in sales, be careful about the assumptions you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back