What does Audi use for brake caliper pin grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bremszylinderpaste.....i have that too...

But volvo ptfe silicon grease (or any generic silicon grease on your market) would be better than that bremszylinderpaste!

I do "brakejob" on about yearly basis...and I can recall that previous to the silicone grease when I was using that ATE one...whenever I dissasembled brakes (pins) there were none of it on pins after a year....when now there is almost the same amount of silicongrease as I put it in at the last insoection!

G 052 150 A2 (Lithium Grease) is used when you rebuild the caliper, for lubing the piston, and greasing the threads of the bleeder valve

my Bentley manual doesn't say anything about lubing the guide pin or bushing.

Nor when you buy the guide pin or bushing, it does not come with grease.

I went ahead and bought the Audi service manual. From the manual:

"Before inserting pads, clean guide surfaces and apply a thin coating of polycarbamide grease G 052 142 A2"

Actually I think it's referring to the brake pads in this step. I think they mean the pad guide surfaces and not the "guide pins".

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Lithium grease...well thats interesting...

So they are are using different typ of rubber on pins and for dust boots?

Don't confuse the lithium portion as meaning it is a mineral oil chassis type grease. The lithium is just the thickener and it could still have a rubber safe lubricant oil such as silicone or glycol.

Kudos to your guys OCD level! Its a requirement of membership here. But, it is important to be detailed oriented. Google Toyota brake rubber swelling and see what can happen when you venture away from their recommended pink grease.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

It's confusing because ATE presents conflicting information itself, by stating Plastilube "is compatible with all metals and most O-ring materials" on its website, but then feeling the need to put a rubber warning on the tube (which older packaging has lacked).

It forces users to read between the lines, and unfortunately, the product to be mismarketed as suitable for a general rebuild grease, when it's not rubber safe, and against its intended usage. The fact that the brake cylinder assembly paste isn't distributed in the U.S. also encourages Plastilube's misuse.

The safest course is to consult the FSM. I know for certain that BMW specifies dry pins, which causes as much head scratching as dry plug threads, and no tire rotations, but while one may debate the reasoning, there is no ambiguity about their position.

I didn't know that Plastilube isn't rubber safe, I've always thought it was. I've learned something new.

I'm wondering if ATE's assembly paste is like Toyota's red glycol grease or Girling's castor oil-based rubber grease or no?

This is what my Mazda 3 has, front and rear. For the first few years I was using Prematex caliper lube on the pins annually, but it would gum up. I switched to Wurth Silicone Lubricating Compound and the pins are nice and free even after 2-3 years.
I still lubricate them periodically as a portion of the pin is always exposed, so water and salt can penetrate the boot. Grease prevents that.

The pins do have a thick plating on them, so don't use sand paper to clean them up. I only use a wire brush for the stubborn areas, otherwise a wipe with a rag cleans them up. Mine still look great after 11 winters.

BRH11201Kit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back