What conventional oil is a blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that PYB and Chevron are considered blends but is there a way to tell what other conventional oils are blends too? Something on the label I should be looking for? I'm really wondering if Super Tech, Formula Shell and Harvest King are a blend or not.

5W30 Formula Shell MSDS

Chemical nature : Highly refined mineral oil.
Synthetic base oil and additives.

The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO extract, according to IP346.

Interchangeable low viscosity base oil (
Polyolefin Amide Alkeneamine Polyol 1 - 3%

Alkaryl amine 1 - 3%

I've read it on the MSDS of several...
Almost all in 5w20/30 and not 10w30. But i don't know if this caveat is across the board.

PYB
QS
Mobil Super
Mobil Special
VWB
Castrol Ultraclean
Havoline
Chevron
MAG1
Formula Shell

Harvest King 5W-20 and 5W-30 are blends if you buy the conventional. The 10W-30 does not say it's a blend, at least not on the container.

Originally Posted by wemay
I've read it on the MSDS of several...
Almost all in 5w20/30 and not 10w30. But i don't know if this caveat is across the board.

PYB
QS
Mobil Super
Mobil Special
VWB
Castrol Ultraclean
Havoline
Chevron
MAG1
Formula Shell

^^^^^^

Right in here..

Like others have said.. it's all r/t API SN and ilsac gf-5.

From looking at the PDS on most oil brand web sites, I have noticed the all of their 5W20 & 5W30 conventional oils are syn blends. Other sites claim that their 10W30 is as well however, I haven't noticed this with other grades such as 10W40, 15W40, 20W50 but, I haven't looked too deep into these grades either.

according to Chevron website, Chevron Supreme 5Wx30 is syn-blend but not the 10Wx30.

its almost definite that most conventional dino are blends these days, probably 1-3% and its a blend. With the exception of sae 20, 30 and 40's are probably the only straight mineral oil these days.

A lot of off-brands like American XT sold at Family Dollars, and made by Warren I think, also state they're syn-blends. Philips brands like TropArc and Motorcraft were amongst the first to state they were syn-blends, I believe to instill confidence in thinner oils like 5W-30 and 5W-20, and to denote that every 5W-20 has to have syn content to meet API SJ-SN+ The larger companies like SOPUS that have multiple lines with some denoting they are blends specifically because they're marketed as high mileage oils or for Dexos, etc. IMHO...

Saying blend on the back of the jug means less synthetic content - than if it was stated on the front of the bottle.
Per a bottle producer email I received anyways.

I want to say within my stash two of the jugs have blend on the front label. One green bottle QS HM, other gold bottle Pennzoil (without going in the garage to confirm).

Most API SN conventional oils nowadays have some synthetic content. The question is, how much is synthetic? I would not consider 3% synthetic content to be a "blend" even if the legal/marketing aspect allows for this language.

Anyone shopping for a good synthetic blend oil, I would remind them that full synthetic is only a few dollars more. Walmart has Mobil 1 5w30 5-quarts for $22... plus other brands/grades at very low prices too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back