What are you working on today?

Today wasn't the best day work wise.

Really haven't felt well today, very tired and very slow. I did get the engine sat over in the Silverado...twice. 🙁 I had it sitting pretty on the engine stands, ready to get the bell housing lined up and bolted together, then realized I'd forgotten to install the flywheel. 😓

Attached picture is after I pulled the engine back loose and installed the flywheel. I got a few things done on the installation but called it a day early. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and I'll make steady progress.

IMG_20240315_145417.jpg

Sons 4Runner. Oil change, medium detail and wax in and out. (Both of us working together).

Son’s girlfriend’s Rav4. Rotate tires. Full detail and wax in and out. Probably the first coat of wax it’s seen, 2021 MY. (Both of us here too)

Speed wash, my f150. (Just me, the stuff was out)

Speed wash, wife’s CRV. (Just me…)

I can barely walk now.

Hey @BAJA_05. IOU props. Son’s GF’s RAV is a 2021. It’s a great car, no questions asked. Far better than the one we test drove a few years back, earlier gen.

Sons 4Runner. Oil change, medium detail and wax in and out. (Both of us working together).

Son’s girlfriend’s Rav4. Rotate tires. Full detail and wax in and out. Probably the first coat of wax it’s seen, 2021 MY. (Both of us here too)

Speed wash, my f150. (Just me, the stuff was out)

Speed wash, wife’s CRV. (Just me…)

I can barely walk now.

Hey @BAJA_05. IOU props. Son’s GF’s RAV is a 2021. It’s a great car, no questions asked. Far better than the one we test drove a few years back, earlier gen.
You sure had a busy busy day. Was nice you could tackle some of it with your Son. Little things... Everyone who has ridden in my 2023 has said they really like the ride and its simple not all decked out to the gills.

Last edited:
Had another 8 hours of fire training today. We focused heavily on hose line management, nozzle control, flowing water, etc. It was fun but man I’m sore tonight.

Scored a little cabover Mack truck like I’ve been wanting on Thursday. Hopefully I did okay on it, I bought it sight unseen(other than pictures and a video). I wanted to go look at it but I’ve been busy with fire class on weekends and running my business +working full time during the week left no time. I’ll have a trucking company pick it up and bring it to me.

Next step is to find a belly dump pup trailer and a short end dump. The belly dump will run on my county maintenance contract for the areas with a lot of overhead obstructions where we can’t tailgate rock with the dump truck.

DBE08685-E225-4B66-85C3-1E9511B8577F.jpeg

Replaced the stainless steel float and plastic level switch on my 12 year old Thermosol steam generator for my steam shower. It has a life time warranty so they sent me the float assembly and level switch. The first time the float failed was 5 years ago and was due to corrosion on the electric switch attached to it . The second failure was due to corrosion on the tip that is supposed to seal when the water chamber is full. The tip would not seal and there was a drip of water coming from the steam outlet. There were a lot of deposits from the high TDS soft water going into the chamber. The soft water guy says the white stuff are sodium compounds. Here are a few shots.

0B5A6DB1-458E-4C49-B2BC-05BC78650B62.jpeg
370FE551-898D-40B8-8EFF-675CB0192768.jpeg
99021930-3042-4197-8EB0-ADF9A7CCF043.jpeg
9406CE07-7E49-4A0A-BC4B-4AA966921105.jpeg
70928B3D-862D-408D-B269-A531E2A0B8B2.jpeg
32AE0120-2623-4FA9-827A-36F26B85AAD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Today wasn't the best day work wise.

Really haven't felt well today, very tired and very slow. I did get the engine sat over in the Silverado...twice. 🙁 I had it sitting pretty on the engine stands, ready to get the bell housing lined up and bolted together, then realized I'd forgotten to install the flywheel. 😓

Attached picture is after I pulled the engine back loose and installed the flywheel. I got a few things done on the installation but called it a day early. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and I'll make steady progress.

View attachment 208546
The visceral urge to replace the knock and oil pressure sensors while easy to do so 😮

1. Changed oil and greased a Bobcat 46'' mower, cleaned air filter, Kawasaki filter Valvoline synthetic powersports 10w40

2.) Changed oil in 2 2014 Honda Recon ATVs, oil looked great, after 2 years. Valvoline synthetic powersports 10w40

3.) Removed rear diff cover on 2004 2500 Suburban, (glad I did, oil looked pretty nasty). Checked for pitting and normal wear on teeth= visually OK. Then, realized I had the wrong gasket, so RTV won the day, Grey type RTV (good stuff), cleaned the bolts and chased the threads on bolts and pumpkin..... will fill with Valvoline 75w90 Synthetic with LS additive tommorrow morning.

4.) Machined a concept of a light mount on a rifle.....I guess they dont make this one!

Man what a busy week!.....

2004 Toyota Solara, 3MZ-FE.....EVAP leak which was some hoses under the hood, Replace Starter with Denso reman from Toyota.

2005 Ford Expedition, 5.4L/4R70W....Replace driver door ajar switch & Service transmission.

2020 Ford Edge.....Replace right rear window regulator.

2001 Silverado.....Install a cammed (Truck Norris) LQ9 6.0L out of a 2001 Yukon that's getting the 408 Stroker I built. Swapped the harnesses & PCM's between the 2. The Yukon is drive by wire & the Silverado was Cable so it was a little involved.

2016 Silverado, 6.6L Duramax/Allison 1000.....Doesn't go into limp mode anymore ;)

2019 Ford Expedition, 3.5L Ecoboost/10R80, 78,000 miles....Classic CDF Drum transfer sleeve walk symptoms (Harsh shudder on the 1-3 shift & a flare on the 3-5 shift) Performing a relearn made it worse....A lot worse!
Decision was made to put a New Ford unit in, A reman from Ford costs more??

Had my '69 Chevelle dyno tuned, Made 563 RWHP & 552 RWTQ. Couldn't stay for the whole session but I did get a video clip after my tuner set the idle map.

ZBKOZds.jpeg

Vf268pP.jpeg

CGePY3n.jpeg

FSu1Pxj.jpeg

plncP3t.jpeg

The visceral urge to replace the knock and oil pressure sensors while easy to do so 😮
While I tend to agree, the knock sensors are only an intake R&I which isn't hard on these, neither is the oil pressure sensor. I'm at the limit of his budget on parts and I'm not a charity. If they fail down the road he can pay.

My parents were complaining about a screeching noise coming from the engine of their '05 Caravan. This thing is rarely driven and is not relied on for road trips or commuting or whatever, just an around-town stuff hauler. No idea if the belt or tensioner or idler were ever replaced so I figured it was worth doing since the parts are cheap enough and I'm capable and willing. I bought a water pump also just in case but I wasn't going to replace it unless I absolutely had to since YouTube tutorials show that it's not a fun process.

Everything cooperated and came off easily. The idler pulley was fine (hmm...), the tensioner pulley was fine (uh-oh...), but the water pump shaft had a LOT of play in it and the bearings were obviously bad when spun by hand. Wonderful. This went from being an easy maintenance project to wishing I never touched it.

The radiator was emptied into a makeshift drop pan, the pulley unbolted then clocked so it collapsed onto itself and the pump bolts removed using a variety of tools depending on what angle I needed to contort my wrists into. Of course there wasn't enough room for it to actually come off. I had to use the jack out of my Accord to support the engine and loosen one of the motor mounts, dropping it down an inch to give it just barely enough room for the pump and loose pulley to clear the frame rail and come off. The mating surface was cleaned off and a new gasket glued to the pump with a very small amount of Ultra Black and it went back in without much of a fight. Getting it actually bolted back on was another story since I had to use different angles and techniques and lots of profanity to get them started, run them in, and finally tighten them down. After that everything went smoothly and the results are it's now dead-quiet.

I'm glad it's done and I'm glad the results are worth it but I I have no desire to ever do that again. My IT desk job hands can't handle this stuff anymore.

Reactions: D60
Dad went to use the Scion, and somehow backed it into the mailbox, shattering the rear glass 🙄

I gotta get some clear plastic to seal it up, tomorrow I'll start shopping glass companies
Safelite wants ~$580, which is nearly 50% of what I paid for the thing, I'll try the independents 😕
1000010241.jpg

Mobile call for a no start. 02 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0L wouldn’t start after recharging the replacement battery and alternator replacement.
Had the characteristic starter click (a nice healthy one which means full power going to the starter) so I instantly condemned the starter.

View attachment 208162
Just for reference, how many miles are on the one you have now. I have a starter ready to for when the one in my 2008 6.0 heads south.

Got my hands (and basement floor) wet. Water heater puts out hot water like it should, but doesn't go the distance like it used to.

Drained tank and pulled bottom element-- completely full of deposits, I don't think the bottom element could even touch water. A combination of shop vac, coat hanger, drain hose and compressed air, I got a lot of the crap out, but this unit's (Lochinvar 50 gal electric) days are numbered.

It was installed in 2008 when house was built so I can't really complain. Could never replace the anode rod in it because it's stupidly built into the water inlet which would require desoldering copper pipe.

When it goes I might try out a hybrid heat pump/electric unit and take advantage of the generous tax credits on those.

IMG_6432.jpeg

IMG_6431.jpeg

IMG_6430.jpeg

Back