What about the Saturn L series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys.

For the past six months I've owned a 2003 saturn ion, with the manual trans.

Its been a pretty good car. Decent on gas, cheap to insure, plastic body panels.

The car has 39k miles, and cost me 6 grand to buy it.

My girlfriend is looking for a car. She has 8 grand to spend, tops.

I want to get her into a newer corolla, matrix, or vibe. That isn't going to happen in her price range.

We want something newer, and lower mileage (under 40k probably).

Which turned me to the saturn L series. Its very similar to the ions, but has a few more bells and whistles.

We are looking at the 2005+ models.

Do you guys know if this has the same automatic that the cobalt, and newer ion comes with?

Or does it have the dreaded CTV trans?

I would only want to buy one that has the 2.2L ecotech motor.

Thanks,
Justin

Suggest going for a chevy prism. It is made alongside the corolla in the same factory. It is basically a re-badged corolla but sometimes you can get them for as cheap as 1/2 the corolla price. Don't know how new the prism is though as I stopped following it and I think they stopped making it? This "corrolla clone" applies to the prism model only.

Glad to see you are having better luck with your 03 Ion than I did. Mine was a poorly made car and I got rid of it at 45k.

The L series is based on one of GM's European designs and shares nothing with the ION save for the 4cyl drivetrain. Stick with 2003 & newer (like you're doing). Electrical issues plagued the first two to three model years (00-02).

The 4 cylinder models only came with the 4-speed automatic, no CVT trans was ever offered on the L series during it's run.

Personally, the 05 models were very attractive in certain color schemes and with matching leather interior. With the 4 cyl engine, it will be easy on gas and easy to change you own oil.

cheers3.gif

L series will bug you with the little stuff.

You can get the same depreciation with a ford taurus, and they aren't fantastic cars either, but better than the L.

A hyundai sonata/elantra will depreciate quickly too and may be one of the best undervalued midsize sedans out there.

Don't buy a Prizm. I had a Corolla, and it just felt cheaply made and the engine barely lasted 100k. The Ecotec is a fine engine in all its applications, be it a Saturn, Cobalt, or Malibu. I'd get one with as few electronic bells and whistles as possible, if it were me.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Don't buy a Prizm. I had a Corolla, and it just felt cheaply made and the engine barely lasted 100k. The Ecotec is a fine engine in all its applications, be it a Saturn, Cobalt, or Malibu. I'd get one with as few electronic bells and whistles as possible, if it were me.

What?? I teach driver ed in a 1996 Geo Prizm LSI with 209,500 miles on its 1.8l DOHC Toyota engine. It doesnt feel cheap inside AT ALL and doesnt burn any oil at 209k miles.

Although I do own a 2005 L300 (3.0 DOHC v6), I cannot recommend it. We bought it brand new 0% interest, discontinuation sale. Brought the car home, 16 miles on the odometer check engine light is on and front driver side strut is hissing (defective from factory).

After 2 dozen trips to the dealership (no joke- have the service history to prove it) 2 gas tanks, 4 gas caps, 2 fuel pumps, 1 stereo head unit, 1 oil cooler, power steering intermediate shaft, 4 new tires because they had "flat spots" from being on the lot so long, etc... this all occured within the first year of ownership.

The car now as 46,000 miles on it and runs good now that everything has been replaced, LOL. But dont get me wrong- when the warranty is up, its getting traded in STAT. L Series are the luck of the draw (and most people seem to get "unlucky") and with no warranty, forget it. I do not intend to file bankruptcy over a $15,000 mid size sedan's repair bills this lifetime, no thanks!

We had a 2000 LS2 before our 2005 L300. That was even more troublesome, but as long as you get a GOOD warranty (we bought the Saturn maintenance plan w/$0 deduct. bumper to bumper warranty with both cars) you should be fine.

Hands down the Prizm is more reliable. Google it- its common knowledge. Google Saturn L series- I challenge you
07.gif
Make your own decision.

Last edited:
My 2002 Corolla pinged even on premium fuel since new (dealership admitted they heard it, but could never find the problem because "there was no CEL)," burned oil since about 60k, and had rod knock at just under 100k. Enough to make me not want another Corolla.

The L-series is an Opel Vectra that has been Americanized:

Cheap interior, sloppier ride, automatic transmission, larger engine. Made in US.

It is one of those cars that they "borrowed" and didn't come close to improving it. Not terribly reliable either.

Stay away.

My wife bought an L300 new in 01, moments before we started dating. It's got the Opel V6. Car's got 106,000 on it now. I had to bypass the in engine oil cooler when it failed at about 60,000 and we just replaced the engine at 101,000. Car's been ok, but I wouldn't get another one.
Last summer when the engine failed, we went to the dealer to see the new Outlook. When the salesman asked what kind of Saturn we currently owned, we told him and he snickered and said oh, that's the Opel six. Needless to say, I didn't like his attitude and we didn't buy the Outlook from him.

I just ran a search on autotrader.com for Pontiac Vibes, and there seem to be lots in your price range (and with decent miles and from private sellers too). Maybe there's one nearby?

Prizms are almost impossible to find with low mileage.

I would suggest a used Honda Civic.

Our old 1998 Civic that we gave to my nephew now has 228K miles and the only thing I replaced was a cracked exhaust manifold and an O2 sensor due to the high mileage. Other than regular maintenance....the car has been SUPER reliable and still gets 40 MPG on the highway.

Search Autotrader.com Civic, you won't regret buying a Civic

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the pontiac vibe is basically a toyota matrix. Can someone look this up or confirm it if you know? If it is a matrix, then excellent car. Of course the civic is excellent too and either of these would be a much better choice than a saturn IMO. Had good luck with the pre 96 saturn SLs, but I couldn't bring myself to buy another one after my bad experience with the ion.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
I believe the pontiac vibe is basically a toyota matrix. Can someone look this up or confirm it if you know? If it is a matrix, then excellent car. Of course the civic is excellent too and either of these would be a much better choice than a saturn IMO. Had good luck with the pre 96 saturn SLs, but I couldn't bring myself to buy another one after my bad experience with the ion.

Vibe and Matrix are made on the same assembly line, I've been to the plant in Fremont, CA.

The 91-02 Saturn S-Series last forever, but they are just super high maintenance. Good for a backyard mechanic, but not for a person who just wants an appliance that will get them from Point A to Point B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back