What a waste... new car, short OCIs for warranty

With annual driving of 3K/year, my new Crosstrek is going to be due for its 6 month oil change with less than 1K on the oil. I need to stay warranty compliant but sheeesh what a waste. Maybe I'll leave the filter on...

I would throw caution to the wind and stretch that to a year.

Are you the one changing the oil, or is the dealer?

Ya I already changed original oil due to rtv seepage, so this oil is like new lol. Maybe I put it in wifes Prius...

Six month time cap does seem unnecessary now. My wife's Forester is the same but she drives enough it gets changed every 4.5-5 months.

With annual driving of 3K/year, my new Crosstrek is going to be due for its 6 month oil change with less than 1K on the oil. I need to stay warranty compliant but sheeesh what a waste. Maybe I'll leave the filter on...
If you contact the Service Manager, he / she may OK using your existing oil for one year, provided you do similar mileage in the next six months. I went thru all this with Kia Inc dealership and they allowed OK'd me for 3K / approx nine months using synthetic oil.

i dumped the factory fill in my ranger at i believe around 700 miles. & the elantra about the same. i change oil every may & november regardless of miles. ends up being less than 6k per year. we do short trips and the occasional highway trip. my wifes elantra had 2200 miles on its oil when changed this past may. may be overkill but like some say oil is cheap & so are filters. gives me peace of mind though. the elantra uses qsfs 5w30 & right now my ranger has mcsb but switching to castrol edge from here on out.

Some may consider buying a new car and driving it 3k miles a year a waste too. 😉

Unless you’re dumping the used oil into the sewers or the ground, there is no waste.

Re-using used oil? Seriously? This stuff is $20 for 5 qts. Just use new oil...always. 🤦‍♂️

I can't imagine having warranty issues by not changing v. low mileage oil b/c of a 6 mos. listing in an owner's manual.

If you use “My Subaru” just enter changed data

Back