6 mo OCI or sooner?

I just started a new job that is all but 1.5 miles away from my home. The temperature needle doesn’t nudge 1 bit by the time I get to work. I mostly drive because I have to be in early and don’t want to walk through a couple of sketchy blocks while it’s dark out. With that said I’m looking at switching to a 6 month OCI. But between the cold weather, and extremely short distances should I be more conservative? Say 3 months? I’m assuming whatever blow by there is will stay in the crank till I drain it since I don’t really drive outside of the commute. I’m in the city so public transportation or walking usually wins.

Anywho, I know 6mo is kind of the standard for those who don’t drive a whole lot, just wondering if y’all think it’s acceptable for these short distances

I just started a new job that is all but 1.5 miles away from my home. The temperature needle doesn’t nudge 1 bit by the time I get to work. I mostly drive because I have to be in early and don’t want to walk through a couple of sketchy blocks while it’s dark out. With that said I’m looking at switching to a 6 month OCI. But between the cold weather, and extremely short distances should I be more conservative? Say 3 months? I’m assuming whatever blow by there is will stay in the crank till I drain it since I don’t really drive outside of the commute. I’m in the city so public transportation or walking usually wins.

Anywho, I know 6mo is kind of the standard for those who don’t drive a whole lot, just wondering if y’all think it’s acceptable for these short distances
You didn’t say what car.

I would be more worried about things like cats and intake valves than oil. Take it for a 20 mile highway drive every 2 or 3 weeks.

With commutes that short, this is the only situation where I'd recommend an EV.
Only the battery and tires need to be checked periodically. Aside from that, this is the perfect scenario where an EV thrives.
:unsure:

Sounds like a good reason to take a circuitous route home each day...maybe to visit a parts store (or bar) on the other side of town (?)

If you can drive that car on the freeway and get it up to full operating temperature at least once per week, it will be fine. The goal is to drive long enough for the oil to get hot enough to evaporate water. That takes longer than the engine temperature light going to normal. If you can do this, you don't need 6 month oil changes. And if you can't do this, you risk water accumulating in the oil and accelerated corrosion -- which is something that 6 month oil changes won't fix.

In short: the best medicine for your car is to drive it for at least 20 minutes and get it on the freeway once per week.

Go off the severe service timeframe in your manual with the specified oil in your manual. If that is six months, then yeah, go with six months. If that is shorter, then you’ll need to shorten it obviously. You can take it out for longer trips periodically if you think it is necessary, but I wouldn’t stress over it. I am not one to alter my daily routine/schedule to suit a machine. I do what I do and just change my maintenance requirements accordingly.

I had a short commute to work, on my truck I would take it out on the weekends for long high speed cruises to burn off any residue from all the short tripping. 🍻

I would drive the car now and then longer distances. Also, keep an eye on the battery.
But OCI depends on an engine. Is it DI/ Issues with fuel dilution?

You didn’t say what car.

I would be more worried about things like cats and intake valves than oil. Take it for a 20 mile highway drive every 2 or 3 weeks.

I'd trickle charge that battery overnight occasionally with that type of driving.

Agreed on the battery. Definitely do the car a favor by taking it once a week on an extended drive.

It’s a Toyota Tacoma 2.7L. No fuel dilution that I’m aware of. Just wanting to keep this thing forever that’s all. It’s paid off and looking at new truck prices I’ll keep this slow poke until the frame gives.

Also I have solar panels that keep the batteries topped up 🙂 This truck wasn’t intended for the city but here I am 🤷‍♂️

It’s a Toyota Tacoma 2.7L. No fuel dilution that I’m aware of. Just wanting to keep this thing forever that’s all. It’s paid off and looking at new truck prices I’ll keep this slow poke until the frame gives.

Also I have solar panels that keep the batteries topped up 🙂 This truck wasn’t intended for the city but here I am 🤷‍♂️
6 months to a year.
Just give it a nice run once a week or once in two weeks.

Back