Well, my stash just hit 100 quarts. Is that a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to stock up up for me, I can get 5 qt jugs of full syn for $11 everyday at Atwoods with Harvest King oil lol

or $2.69 a single qt bottle

But a few months ago through my "Autozone hookup" I was getting Pennzoil/QS HM 5QT jugs for $5 each lol hehe

I go thru my reserves pretty quickly having a fleet of 4 cars at moment

Dave

I start looking for deals and buy when I'm down to 1 year worth of oil supply left and bring it up to 2 years worth of supply, then repeat next year.

as long as youre using the oldest oil its fine.
if it comes to pass that theres oil in your stash that you arent going to use or don't want to use, then that was too much.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
I start looking for deals and buy when I'm down to 1 year worth of oil supply left and bring it up to 2 years worth of supply, then repeat next year.

That sounds like a pretty good rule of thumb.

I agree Pandus13.

It's not a big deal. Not like it's organic milk that going to expire in 3 wks. It will be good forever in my opinion.

I limit my extra oil to 25 quarts. I don't have much room to store extra oil. But at 25 qts it gives me the ability to share with others easily. I enjoy doing work for people who no cost to them. I also check over their vehicle. I found my lady's co worker who had some numbpistacios who put 61 psi in her right front tire. And 54 on the right rear. Supposed to be 33 psi.. Stupid. And when her 6 years old battery was at 12.45 volts I told her it would be good to just replace it.. Well she went in a trip and didn't replace it... It clunked out and didn't start 3 times on her trip. Wish she had listened there.

I get my oil for just decent prices. $3.29-3.49 for full synthetic oil is fine enough for me. And $2 a qt for semi synthetic is just ok with me.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I picked up a Mobil 1 jug + filter at Autozone for $29.99 to get the $17 rebate today at lunch. I keep up with my stash in a spreadsheet and realized that I just went over 100 quarts. I should probably stop now. I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot? FWIW, I maintain 4 cars and only buy oil when I come across a clearance or an awesome rebate.

Rookie
wink.gif

Last year I bought over 100 qts of Valvoline synthetic 5W-30 for $1.80 a qt. My rough calculations tell me I'll use it up in around 5-6 yrs.

I'm really a conventional oil user, but I couldn't justify using regular oil anymore with the price I got for synthetic.

I don't plan on changing oil early because it's cheap. I'll get my money's worth from this stash.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I picked up a Mobil 1 jug + filter at Autozone for $29.99 to get the $17 rebate today at lunch. I keep up with my stash in a spreadsheet and realized that I just went over 100 quarts. I should probably stop now. I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot? FWIW, I maintain 4 cars and only buy oil when I come across a clearance or an awesome rebate.

How many full oil changes is that for all 4 vehicles? Are you Franken brewing those 10w-30 & 40s?

Y'all a bunch of oil hoarders, I'll tell you that.

I stash used oil. Yep! Then when I feel like it, I take it to the local auto parts.

10 qts Royal Purple 5w30 (2 jugs)
10 qts Royal Purple 10w30 (2 jugs)
05 qts Royal Purple 5w20 (2 jugs)
15 qts Pnzl Platinum 0w20 (3 jugs)
10 qts Pnzl Platinum 5w20 (2 jugs)

Oil Filters
6 Hyundai 26300-35504
4 STP S2808 XL
2 STP S2808 ML
1 Fram Ultra XG9688

I have around 400ish quarts, maybe more if I counted.

I still do a little side work in NoVA so I buy when oil goes on clearance/great sale.

Depends upon how much you go through in a year.
I'm currently using around sixty quarts a year, so a hundred quarts would be reasonable.
Quarts bought on clearance are great for top-off use for those engines that need it while jugs are usually more convenient for oil changes.
You can always liquidate a well bought stash at a profit and you can always help out impecunious friends and relatives with some cheaply bought oil in return for them helping you with some task needing two backs or two sets of hands.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
you can always help out impecunious friends and relatives with some cheaply bought oil in return for them helping you with some task needing two backs or two sets of hands.

I help out several low-income families with a free oil change now and then.

I have somewhere around 40 internal combustion engines on my ranch (several are two stroke, tho)

Water pumps, generators, gasoline engine air compressor, 4 tractors, 3 trucks and 2 Ford Mustangs

My stash is over 100 quarts for sure.
I never pay "full price" for oil anymore, ever.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I buy the oil I want and don't want set out to build a stash. I do have a few gallons of synthetic CJ-4 due to the issues of Ford spec and CK-4.

Same here, my "stash" is pretty paltry - 3 5-quart jugs which for me is over a years worth of supply. I also have several years worth of filters. Now that I have a company truck, my personal car and truck see very little use.

I got problems too. I have about 230+ qts of oil for 3 vehicles that'll use about 22 qts/yr.

This stashing problem started when I needed oil but everything was full price. Prior to that, I used the free-after-rebate NextGen or G-Oil offers for a few years. So I had to buy the cheapest conventional oil but at that time it was $3/qt. I started to buy oil when there were deals that hit $2.5/qt, thinking it was a good idea to keep it for later.

Then I bought a lot more oil at $2/qt. I thought I was done and wouldn't buy any more unless there were $1/qt deals. Well, there were a few $1/qt deals.

I told myself I wouldn't buy any until it hit $0.75/qt. Well, there were a few $0.5/qt deals. I told myself I wouldn't buy any at all unless it's $0.25/qt.... which happened too. And now I tell myself I wouldn't buy any unless it's free after rebate. That happened as well...

Now I'm not going to buy any oil unless the rebate pays me more than the purchase price.... which also happened.

I'm just going to give some away to friends to score friend-points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back