Well, I've seen it all today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
So I'm back to using cloth bags in "violation" I hate the plastic shopping bags - . this environmental disaster should have been banned years ago. I have not read where contaminated surface transmission and infection has been verified .

It's well covered in several articles regarding surface transmission. Basically if you're infected and hand the worker a bag that's contaminated, they could become sick from it. In theory if they used sanitizer after handling your bag, they should be ok, but probably not doable when they have an unending line of customers.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e1.htm

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...reports/20200514-covid-19-sitrep-115.pdf

Originally Posted by Wolf359
So I'm back to using cloth bags in "violation" I hate the plastic shopping bags - . this environmental disaster should have been banned years ago. I have not read where contaminated surface transmission and infection has been verified .

It's well covered in several articles regarding surface transmission. Basically if you're infected and hand the worker a bag that's contaminated, they could become sick from it. In theory if they used sanitizer after handling your bag, they should be ok, but probably not doable when they have an unending line of customers.

All the more reason to do self checkout and bag your own groceries.
smile.gif

[I get it, a cashier knows what code to use for various items, how to use the scale, etc. But ya gotta admit, this would be a nice time to use it. 'cept for putting people out of yet another job and all.]

Originally Posted by supton

All the more reason to do self checkout and bag your own groceries.
smile.gif

[I get it, a cashier knows what code to use for various items, how to use the scale, etc. But ya gotta admit, this would be a nice time to use it. 'cept for putting people out of yet another job and all.]

I'm not exactly sure what his beef is. You can use your own bags at self check out, the cashiers won't handle bags provided by the customers. I prefer them myself but if I'm getting things like soda bottles, if you don't like plastic bags, just tell them not to bag them and then stick them in your own bags yourself. The cotton ones are stronger so you can stick a lot more stuff in one bag. The big club warehouses like BJs and Costco haven't changed, they still don't bag anything and they don't hand out any bags.

[quote=Wolf35 It's well covered in several articles regarding surface transmission. Basically if you're infected and hand the worker a bag that's contaminated, they could become sick from it. In theory if they used sanitizer after handling your bag, they should be ok, but probably not doable when they have an unending line of customers.

So, do you think people should be ticketed for using their own cloth bags or, perhaps, be arrested if they violated they continue to use their cloth bags?

Originally Posted by Hyperscn64
[quote=Wolf35 It's well covered in several articles regarding surface transmission. Basically if you're infected and hand the worker a bag that's contaminated, they could become sick from it. In theory if they used sanitizer after handling your bag, they should be ok, but probably not doable when they have an unending line of customers.

So, do you think people should be ticketed for using their own cloth bags or, perhaps, be arrested if they violated they continue to use their cloth bags?

I believe it's just that the grocery workers will refuse to use the bags provided by the customers. Not that you can't use your own bags at the self checkout.

So your question actually makes no sense. Do you think the cops are going to hand the customer a ticket when the customer demands that the cashier use their bag and the cashier refuses?

You cannot bring your own grocery bag into a grocery store in the Bay Area.
They will give you paper until they run out, then plastic.
Or no bag at all. Just roll your cart to your car and use your own bags. Like Costco only cheaper.

Safety first!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wkcars
I see people that wear a mask and have it below their nose and only covering their mouth...

one
I see a fair number of people wearing their masks like chin straps so it's easier for them to converse with others. When I run my 5 miles every morning, I usually see a few fellow joggers huffing and puffing into masks. I expect to come across a passed-out sooner or later.

Well covered, modeled and unproven as a method of transmission.

Primary is aerosol. Those guys or gals that "spray it instead of saying it."

Those who sing in Choirs.

In fact, NYC recent data, those using the subway had a low infection rate. Which was a surprise to the modelers.

I use the self checkout.. NH Gov. Banned reusable bags. Hannaford doesn't recycle plastic bags.

Most of the employees and half the Customers Don't wear masks. THE PRIMARY VIRUS transmission method.

After struggling and dropping heavy groceries out of plastic single use bags.
(The Store does not provide paper bags at self checkout.)

I said "enough is enough". I started to use my canvas bags at checkout again.

One supervisor monitoring self checkout registers said to me, "That's a no-no!"

I said, the Security should be banning customers from entering that are not wearing a mask!. She said "I Understand".

A meaningless conversation. So, I wear my surgical mask and sanitise my hands at my car before i drive away.
_______

What I cant get through your heads on this forum is how big a environmental problem single use plastic grocery bags are.

It horrendous. That is the disaster! They should be banned.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You cannot bring your own grocery bag into a grocery store in the Bay Area.
They will give you paper until they run out, then plastic.
Or no bag at all. Just roll your cart to your car and use your own bags. Like Costco only cheaper.

Safety first!

There is no significant safety issue involved with reusable cloth bags used at self checkout.

Safety?

Don't drive your car to the store; 70% of car accident occur within 10 miles of home.

Over 36,500 deaths due to Automobile crashes in the US (2018)
That is 11.2 fatalities per 100K people.

New Hampshire SARS-CoV-2 death rate 12.7 per 100K people.

- Ken

We saw an older couple wearing masks while on a walk. Many people seem to think it's just floating through the air like pollen.

On second thought, maybe pollen was the reason. Lol

Originally Posted by dlundblad
We saw an older couple wearing masks while on a walk. Many people seem to think it's just floating through the air like pollen.

On second thought, maybe pollen was the reason. Lol

Went to a local hardware store, nobody was wearing masks. They didn't have the tomato cages I wanted so I went down the road to a new place. Outside everyone was wearing masks, inside... nobody was.
21.gif

With warm weather finally here I've been ramping up my bicycle usage. I've seen a few groups of riders go by, and often they will be wearing masks. I'm not sure it's really required outside, but I guess riding in a tight group it makes sense... I just give wide berth.

If it's floating in the air like pollen, maybe I should buy some new cabin filters for my vehicles--and more importantly, not drive the car that doesn't have a cabin filter. [A joke.] Actually, while bicycling, there's been a few times where I've been able to tell all too well that the occupants of passer-by vehicles were chain smoking away. Maybe there's just no escaping.

Well covered, modeled and unproven as a method of transmission.

Primary is aerosol. Those guys or gals that "spray it instead of saying it."

Those who sing in Choirs.

In fact, NYC recent data, those using the subway had a low infection rate. Which was a surprise to the modelers.

What I cant get through your heads on this forum is how big a environmental problem single use plastic grocery bags are.

It horrendous. That is the disaster! They should be banned.

The problem is what while the primary method is aerosol, contact with contaminated material is also a known method of transmitting various diseases. It's a cop out to claim that just because there isn't a study for this particular virus, it's not valid. It's well known to do so with others so based on that, it's a good reason to suspect that it's also a transmission mechanism and out of the abundance of caution, to ban the use of them. For ethical reasons, you can't design a study now to show that contaminated materials is transmission method. So demanding some kind of study doesn't make any logical sense.

Also if you read the study on the choirs, it was primarily suspected to be aerosol, but they also had some snacks and drinks and they also helped to put away the chairs afterwards so there's no way to prove that it was all aerosol and not from touching contaminated surfaces. They actually could construct a seating chart but chose not to do it because that would have identified the person who was infected and who spread it to everyone else. They didn't do that for privacy reasons.

As for your problem with grocery bags, it's probably more important not to risk a grocery workers health than the environmental damage from bags. You could always decline all the bags and pack your groceries in the car if you really felt that strongly about it. Or you could just make sure you recycle your bags when they're doing that again. It's the same problem with oil. One of the reasons to go with longer oil changes is because a large percentage of the oil sold for oil changes is not getting recycled, somehow it's getting dumped so if you go with longer oil changes, less chance of oil being improperly dumped along the chain.

Oh yeah, here's a good quote from Prince Bride, it predicted the future!

Heh, the wife has been sending me memes that she comes across on FB, and the other day she sent a bunch of Princess Bride ones. This was in that list.

Great, now I want to take the afternoon off and watch that movie again...

Originally Posted by supton
Oh yeah, here's a good quote from Prince Bride, it predicted the future!

Heh, the wife has been sending me memes that she comes across on FB, and the other day she sent a bunch of Princess Bride ones. This was in that list.

Great, now I want to take the afternoon off and watch that movie again...

Oh yeah and also the part about the classic blunder of never getting involved in a land war in Asia which I guess Afghanistan is in Asia.

As for your problem with grocery bags, it's probably more important not to risk a grocery workers health than the environmental damage from bags. .

How am I risking workers health?

This cloth bag ban is absolute unreasonableness bordering on insanity.

I say the risk is zero for all practical purposes.

There are other absolute high risk surface transmission models that are NOT addressed.

People touching product. People touching baskets. People touching Card reader screens,

Surfaces are not clean enough to "catch and contain" the 2/10,000 visitor contaminating surfaces.
Even though surface contamination is an HIGHLY unlikely transmission method. of this sticky, fragile, 6-nanometer protein-capsuled RNA strand. Comparable to the age-old "getting pregnant from a Toilet seat" bologna.

1/2 of shoppers NOT wearing masks and yapping away like a bunch of chickens as women do

I do not have SARS-CoV-2, and neither does my bag.

I bag my own at self check out.

Ban Non-mask wearers. Aerosol is 99%+ of transmission method.

Get tough or forget ANY prophylaxis.

Enough Silliness and Stupidity.

As for your problem with grocery bags, it's probably more important not to risk a grocery workers health than the environmental damage from bags. .

How am I risking workers health?

This cloth bag ban is absolute unreasonableness bordering on insanity.

I say the risk is zero for all practical purposes.

There are other absolute high risk surface transmission models that are NOT addressed.

People touching product. People touching baskets. People touching Card reader screens,

Surfaces are not cleaned with enough frequency to "catch and contain" the 2/10,000 visitor contaminating surfaces.
Even though surface contamination is an HIGHLY unlikely transmission method. of this sticky, fragile, 6-nanometer protein-capsuled RNA strand. Comparable to the age-old "getting pregnant from a Toilet seat" bologna.

The true concern is 1/2 of shoppers NOT wearing masks and yapping away like a bunch of chickens - as are want women to do

I do not have SARS-CoV-2, and neither does my bag.

I bag my own at self check out.

Ban Non-mask wearers. Aerosol is 99%+ of transmission method.

Get tough or forget ANY prophylaxis.

Enough Silliness and Stupidity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back