Brazing with a torch. Can you do it?

I learned from an old boy at work, in the mid-70's. He was good and it came to me naturally, once I discovered the proper temp by reading the orange color of the metal.

I'm a decent welder as well, but better with a torch. I can solder good also.

Got tested a while back. Buddy asked me to braze something for him. Had not done it in years, but it came back like riding a bike. Give me a stick of bronze and a torch. Game on yet today.

Usually once a month or so I wind up brazing something, usually an exhaust hanger. I can braze a hanger back together faster that I can roll out and set up one of my mig welders.

Only about every day on refrigeration tubing (generally copper-copper, but occasionally copper-steel). Get it clean, spread on some flux (or use rod that has it built in), get it close to cherry red. Joint should be smooth & shiny, not lumpy/chunky!

Yes I braze things like heat shield brackets on lawn mower and broken linkage parts. Much easier than getting out a welding machine.

I do a lot of brazing on hvac equipment but have never tried it on anything else. At home I pretty much mig weld everything steel that needs repaired.

For about a year at our race car shop, I would occasionally braze new "vintage" Brit race car chassis together. Learned to braze in high school, but was not really skilled at it. Then took a aircraft welding course and learned to manage a torch well. This helped with the brazing immensely, as I could control the torch properly.

The way the shop had us do it was similar to the pic below. Except there were multiple beads of brass on critical suspension attach points. The heat was kept very low compared to welding, and the result was quite strong.

14.jpg

I learned from an old boy at work, in the mid-70's. He was good and it came to me naturally, once I discovered the proper temp by reading the orange color of the metal.

I'm a decent welder as well, but better with a torch. I can solder good also.

Got tested a while back. Buddy asked me to braze something for him. Had not done it in years, but it came back like riding a bike. Give me a stick of bronze and a torch. Game on yet today.

I only brazed copper pipes on bus HVAC. That's with a torch and silver. Went smooth and fast.

I used to braze body panels back in the 70's. The trick was to not warp the panel, or at least minimize it. MIGs made the job a lot easier and stronger.

Back