Welders, help! Vise repair advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
That part is in COMPRESSION, not tension.

It is broken because of abuse, not proper use!

I would preheat it like crazy and braze it with brass.

My post was going to echo this. Clean it up, get some proper flux and a silicon bronze, or an aluminum bronze filler and an acetylene torch. This is the perfect situation for brazing.

Why not do what Tig1 suggested, Hit the bottom of the jaw, where it won't show, with a grinding wheel. If it looks bright yellow it may be repairable. Compare the spark from the grinding wheel to say an old cast iron brake rotor.

JB-Weld? now i've repaired lots of things with that stuff, but come on , a vise? NO WAY!!!

Originally Posted By: punisher

My post was going to echo this. Clean it up, get some proper flux and a silicon bronze, or an aluminum bronze filler and an acetylene torch. This is the perfect situation for brazing.

I have brazed a lot of cast iron, but brazing will not work on a vise where a lot of stress can be put on it. Scrap it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: punisher

I have brazed a lot of cast iron, but brazing will not work on a vise where a lot of stress can be put on it. Scrap it.

A properly brazed cast iron joint is as strong or stronger than the original cast iron.

The vise is at a proper welding shop now. Their plan is to bevel the area, preheat it, and weld with nickel rod.

If I keep it, the vise will see light duty in my garage.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This thing is too cool and old to just scrap.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The vise is at a proper welding shop now. Their plan is to bevel the area, preheat it, and weld with nickel rod.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This thing is too cool and old to just scrap.

Then don't put much pressure on it.

Yep, light duty. My garage work is mostly tinkering with power equipment, some automotive stuff, and woodworking. I think it'll be a fitting retirement for this piece. Thanks for the help.

I don't know much about welding but I do know there isn't much stress as in tension on the part only pressure. I don't see the reason for it not going into normal service. If it was broken lower down where the tension is extreme I might have other thoughts, ask them about it.
This is one of those things a pro have to see it to get a better idea of whats what IMO.

How did the vise turn out?

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Why don't the users who don't know what you're talking about at least admit it and stay out of the discussion?

This is one of the issues with this forum. There is no shortage of unqualified advice.

Exactly.
Or maybe ask a football or cooking website.

Originally Posted By: tig1

How did the vise turn out?
I'm curious as well!

Sorry guys, I've been dealing with a sick family member and haven't been able to get to the shop. I'll post here once I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back