Weeping FRAM Ultra XG2

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, ever since we changed the oil on the Jeep I've been getting the odd oily whiff from the vents so I climbed under it and the bottom of the filter was damp. Hosed it off with brake kleen and it seemed good for a while but then it came back and I rolled under again and sure enough, there was oil on the bottom of the filter.

Filter was tight (checked) and when I removed it today (went and bought a cap wrench) I didn't see any obvious issue with the gasket. The base plate had a small gouge in it near the inlet holes but I wouldn't think that would have any impact?

Obviously a very small leak as it wasn't leaving drips on the ground, but the smell through the vents was annoying.

I spun on another of the same filter, took it for a drive, seems to be staying dry, so, touch-wood, it was just that filter. I'll be reaching out to FRAM to see if they want the filter to inspect. First time I've ever had a filter weep/leak before.

Will snap some pics once it has finished draining.

Sorry to hear your troubles! Mass produced at a certain price point. *Disclaimer: I use the Fram Ultra....I guess stuff happens! Glad you caught it.

I have had several Fram Ultra filters get a bit damp during the course of an OCI, but it has never been enough to cause actual oil drippage or an odor.

However, I should note that the OE filter uses a similar gasket design so the issue is probably related to gasket material itself.

Pull the gasket out of the base groove and look on that sealing side (both the gasket and gasket groove surface) to see if anything looks strange. If not, then it's possible it was leaking through the crimp seam.

Pull the gasket out of the base groove and look on that sealing side (both the gasket and gasket groove surface) to see if anything looks strange. If not, then it's possible it was leaking through the crimp seam.
Already did, nothing looked odd.

Already did, nothing looked odd.

Probably the base seam crimp if nothing obvious was seen with the gasket or gasket sealing surfaces. Lots of WIX filters have had leaky seam crimps reported, but it can happen to any filter.

Contact Fram ... they will probably send you a free replacement or two.

Last edited:
I just realized that my TG9688 is weeping too. Gonna go and change it tomorrow for K&N that has a better gasket.

Thanks for the news. I'm going to check every can and filter housing (plastic) right now.
As said above, the odd thing does happen.

Hey, how do "microscopic" (actually a bit larger) holes appear in pipes and tubing? It happens.
A teeny-weeny hole or void in the sheet metal used to form the can? It happens.

A circuit breaker just failed in our 70 year old house. My pal cranked up his "voice of disbelief" and I had to deflate him by reminding him that if a million, zillion of something is built, there will be variations.

Back