clear substance on bottom of oil filter

I took a peek inside all of the Fram Titanium filters I've been collecting, and found that 3 of the 9 I own have some kind of clear dried up substance on the bottom of the filter (no bypass).

I just wanted to see if this is something that others have seen in the past and if it's a problem or not. They look like water droplets, but obviously aren't. Here's a picture of it:

View attachment 200730
Is it a wet oil or is it a dried clear apoxy of sorts ?

Last edited:
Anti-rust likely . Have encountered FRAM Titanium and other of their oil filters with a film of oil and small gobs of a grease like substance . Especially on the threads and base plate . Cleaned it off and installed .

Is it a wet oil or is it a dried clear apoxy of sorts ?

I took a rod and put a piece of shop towel on it to see if it would clean up and it did. Will be using them for sure. I get a little paranoid about little things because the filters are going on an engine that costs what some people make in a year lol.

I took a rod and put a piece of shop towel on it to see if it would clean up and it did. Will be using them for sure. I get a little paranoid about little things because the filters are going on an engine that costs what some people make in a year lol.
Understandable but yeah, its just a rust inhibitor.

Back