webcam recommendation (cheap?)

I just went looking for a webcam. I'm going to buy & install it for my aunt who is not very computer literate, so she can do a zoom conference with the family.

I was surprised at how much they were. Logitech is going for 70. I see non-name brands for a lot less, like $10-30 on some sites.

There is no need for anything that serves up high definition video here, probably it will be used 5-6 times total. I live a ways away so it does need to work fairly reliably, without requiring frequent trips out to fix it.

Is there anything like a name brand below 70? If not, are there any recommendations if I do go south of that?

Does she have a smart phone? If so just install zoom on her phone. There is a huge shortage of web cam right now and you pretty much have to either overpay for a name brand or you have to settle with no name brand generic stuff. If she is more computer savvy she can use her phone as a web cam by installing some sort of apps on both computer and the phone (I'm using iVCam right now for my kid's school from home).

No smart phone at all.

OK well a shortage would explain why prices are higher than I thought they'd be.

A used phone might be easier. No SIM card, just WiFi. Around here an ancient iPhone 4S can get got for ~$40 and the camera is terrific; and it can still run Facetime and a few other video apps that would presumably include ZOOM. Mind you, the small screen could be off-putting for an elderly person.

I use DroidCam to use my phone as a web cam but on Linux, at least, it is anything but user-friendly.

I don't think iphone 4s can use zoom but maybe facetime if the other side is also on iphone. These days I'd pick at least an iphone SE if you want to future proof, preferably at least an iphone 7. In her case just get a cheap no name webcam from amazon and see how it works.

there currently happens to be an ANCIENT usb webcam rolling around the back of my car...( it's a GE branded unit I bought @ biglots in around 2004 if that gives you any idea..) you can have it for free if you like...

the only other one i own is a 720p logitech unit I bought on clearance around 2010(?) but it's on my parents PC b/c mom has zoom meetings (var. Church Boards, a couple local non-profits she's on the board for , etc.)

if you get a cheap one make sure its NOT manual focus.. those suck badly.

aukey, anker, or amcrest are usually decent.

I'm guessing amcrest is providing a kickback for reviewing with pictures (commonplace on amazon)
but doesnt mean its junk $45

I'm also looking for a webcam for my Macbook Pro (2009 model) running Mac OS 10.10. I would prefer a plug n play unit, good for 720p (1080 is too much for my situation). for my zoom meetings. Any recommendations, guys?

I bought the Webcam with Microphone, 1080P HD off Amazon for 29.99 at the end of July. Granted there were acouple cheaper and many much more expensive -- have been using it ever since and I think its great. Just plugged it in and good to go.

I called a local computer repair shop and he sold me a cheapo unit for 25 bucks that works well enough, so I went for that. Saved my aunt some money, plus I don't have to worry about a return to China, which the cheaper units were coming from.

Back