Looking for PC Recommendations

Unless you need performance for gaming or video/photo editing, I tell people to buy off-lease refurbished enterprise computers. Dell has an business refurb outlet, and there's always eBay. Just vet your vendors.

My circa 2012 ThinkPad T430 that I paid $199 for in 2017 is still going strong. The only thing I've done to it is max out the RAM to 16GB, and replace the HDD with an SSD. Battery is shot, but that's not an issue for me. I know there are workarounds to force a Windows 11 upgrade, but I'll probably just replace the laptop when Windows 10 hits end of life in 2025.

What do yall think about the Dell U2723QE 27” monitor

And the Logitech MX Keys for Mac Keyboard

???

The Apple Studio monitor and their ”Magic Keyboard” are more money than I want to spend.
I’m happy with a Logitech keyboard.
Apple keyboard doesn’t do anything for me, way too small and expensive for my taste.
I’m sure the the Logitech you choose will be more than happy with it.
Remember your can always return it if you don’t like it.
The keyboard I have is big/huge and a bit odd, for a family your choice would be better. I do love the keys precision tactile feel and sure your choice would be the same.

I’ll comment on your monitor choice just for conversation sake if time later today. But to keep it short I never spent that much on a monitor and I’m 100% sure and more it will be better spec’d over anything I ever owned so for once I may have not much to say except I’m sure it’s a great choice🙃

Last edited:
Those monitors should be excellent.

If you don't mind spending a bit more on a keyboard, this is what I'm currently using and it's wonderful. I actually like it better than my Unicomp Spacesaver M, which is quite a high bar.

Otherwise I'm sure the Logitech will be fine.

You didn't mention a mouse, but I'll mention at least considering the Magic Mouse. The design is a bit...polarizing...but I find its functionality to be excellent even if it had a bit of a learning curve for me. In fact I bought my first one in 2012, returned it in two weeks, then didn't pick one up again until 2015 but guess my tastes had changed as I loved it then. My only real annoyance with the current generation is that it charges by a port on the bottom and can't be used while charging, but then the first version that ran on AAs could eat a set in a week of heavy use.

Those monitors should be excellent.

If you don't mind spending a bit more on a keyboard, this is what I'm currently using and it's wonderful. I actually like it better than my Unicomp Spacesaver M, which is quite a high bar.

Otherwise I'm sure the Logitech will be fine.

You didn't mention a mouse, but I'll mention at least considering the Magic Mouse. The design is a bit...polarizing...but I find its functionality to be excellent even if it had a bit of a learning curve for me. In fact I bought my first one in 2012, returned it in two weeks, then didn't pick one up again until 2015 but guess my tastes had changed as I loved it then. My only real annoyance with the current generation is that it charges by a port on the bottom and can't be used while charging, but then the first version that ran on AAs could eat a set in a week of heavy use.
Thanks for the suggestion, but they don't provide a lot of detail on that Matias.

Seems like it is missing several of the features of the Logitech Mx Keys for Mac that I'm looking at (Bluetooth, wireless, rechargeable, variable backlighting with proximity sensor, ability to connect to 3 different machines, etc).

And I actually already have a wireless Logitech M510 mouse that I like.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they don't provide a lot of detail on that Matias.

Seems like it is missing several of the features of the Logitech Mx Keys for Mac that I'm looking at (Bluetooth, wireless, rechargeable, variable backlighting with proximity sensor, ability to connect to 3 different machines, etc).

And I actually already have a wireless Logitech M510 mouse that I like.

Sorry for just kind of dropping it. The Matias is kind of a no frills but very high quality keyboard. It actually feels similar to(in key travel and areas) the Apple Extended II keyboard of the early 1990s, and that's not by accident or coincidence.

If you want wireless, backlighting and multiple device pairing, the Logitech is definitely a better choice for you as the Matias offers none of that. Logitech does and always has made good keyboards, and I have no doubt it will be a fine addition to your computer.

What do yall think about the Dell U2723QE 27” monitor

And the Logitech MX Keys for Mac Keyboard

???

The Apple Studio monitor and their ”Magic Keyboard” are more money than I want to spend.
I have an older model UltraSharp that has been great. IPS display, matte finish screen for the least glare. Pretty good color, easy to adjust and configure. Razer Black Widow keyboard with mechanical switches and backlighted keys. I have had one LED fail under one of the switches after 6 years or so and I replaced that LED in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
The Magic Mouse is an ergonomic nightmare IMO. I’d rather use their Magic Trackpad then their mouse.
+1

I'm a Mac user and can't say I'm a fan of the magic mouse. In our enterprise environment we have deployed many Dell monitors and Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combos with good results. We also have had good luck with Lenovo keyboard/mouse combos and I find the Lenovo keys to be slightly more comfortable.

I ordered the Mac Mini M2 Pro (512GB). I was able to get the $100 education program discount because the wife is a teacher.

From what I read, this is sort of the "sweet spot" for hardware. Sure, it may be overkill for what we'll do, but hopefully we'll never be "undergunned" - at least, not for several years.

To go with it, I ordered 2 Dell U2723QE 27" displays from Office Max down the street, and the Logitech MX Keys for Mac keyboard directly from Logitech.

I already have a wireless mouse (Logitech M510) that I like, and I'll use my JBL Charge 3 for audio.

A question I do have, not being all that familiar with the cables and connections I'll need, is what cables I'll need to connect the monitors.

The M2 Pro has one HDMI output and four "Thunderbolt 4" outputs. It supports up to three monitors, in a few different configurations, but obviously with only the one HDMI port, my other monitor will need to be on Thunderbolt, and I'm not seeing Thunderbolt listed as one of the inputs into the Dell U2723QE display.

So I assume I'll want to connect one display to HDMI, which will just require a regular HDMI cable, and then I assume I'll need a cable with Thunderbolt 4 connector on one end, and HDMI on the other end, for my 2nd display?

Those Dells are USB-C hub monitors, so you should be able to daisy chain them together.

Hook the Mac Mini to the first monitor through USB-C (thunderbolt) then the first monitor to the second monitor through the provided display port cable (the monitors should have both display port out/in ports on them).

Those Dells are USB-C hub monitors, so you should be able to daisy chain them together.

Hook the Mac Mini to the first monitor through USB-C (thunderbolt) then the first monitor to the second monitor through the provided display port cable (the monitors should have both display port out/in ports on them).
Do you know if there is any difference in video quality between the thunderbolt and the HDMI?

Do you know if there is any difference in video quality between the thunderbolt and the HDMI?
No, it’s a digital signal. Thunderbolt can support a higher resolution, but you have 4K monitors so that’s irrelevant. It also comes with a Type C to Type C cable, which is the one you’ll want to use for one of the monitors.

Does anyone run 4k resolution on a 27 inch monitor?
The text and images would be tiny. I suspect (maybe I am wrong) that most end up changing a 4k to 2k or 1080P on a 27 inch so Im not sure the extra expense is worth it if the same product can be bought with less resolution yet same features that I think Dell and most others offer.

I found out that the Mac Mini doesn’t support daisy chaining of monitors, so the best way to connect them is going to be through Thunderbolt.

Does anyone run 4k resolution on a 27 inch monitor?
The text and images would be tiny. I suspect (maybe I am wrong) that most end up changing a 4k to 2k or 1080P on a 27 inch so Im not sure the extra expense is worth it if the same product can be bought with less resolution yet same features that I think Dell and most others offer.
Hmm… Not sure. I’ll let you know what I find out.

But if 4K resolution is useless on a 27” monitor, then why are 27” monitors offered in 4K?

Hmm… Not sure. I’ll let you know what I find out.

But if 4K resolution is useless on a 27” monitor, then why are 27” monitors offered in 4K?
Well I didnt say useless, how about specific uses?
I honestly dont know but much written on it with a search. There is reference to Apple's excellent scaling compared to Windows.
You can search for much information on the internet too.
https://www.howtogeek.com/661321/are-4k-monitors-worth-it-for-general-computer-use/

Someone in here should know more but I suspect maybe with scaling its more an issue with Windows. 4K also uses a lot of processing power but you are buying a powerful computer. If I am correct for example many gamers are in the 1080p or 2 k group.

Here was a simple search, much is in regard to Windows.
does a 4 k monitor make text too small

Last edited:
I run my 5K iMac scaled to 2560x1440(2K). This is exactly half the native resolution of 5120x2880. I would run it with less scaling, but I want it to match the 2560x1440 monitor next to it.

I find this resolution a good balance of working space and text size. Apple doesn't natively supports running at full native resolution on their "Retina" displays, but there are 3rd party programs like SwitchResX that allow it. I have used it on my 13" MBP, and find it way too small to be useful. The Apple sanctioned "more space" scaling on this screen is 1680x1050, which is where I run it but there are times where I almost consider it too small.

I have no first hand experience with using a 4K 27" display, but regular 2x scaling of one will give 1920x1080. That's a resolution that to me looks great on a 21-23" monitor, but will render the desktop huge on a 27" monitor.

Apparently macOS can do a great job scaling a 4K display to 2560x1440 provided you have enough GPU power. That, in my experience, is a great and comfortable size. With dual monitors it lets you have 4 full-width windows open side by side, so there's plenty of working room. An M2 Pro should have have plenty of GPU power to handle this.

Don't be surprised if you find it uncomfortably small when you do power it up, but scaling the resolution so that it's bigger and more legible should be a few clicks away

(for reference, I find an apparent resolution of around 100-110 ppi to be ideal for a desktop monitor. This means I like 21-23" monitors to be around 1920x1080 and 27-30" monitors to be 2560x1440).

Back