Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
As a liberal arts major in college, I scoured the ciriculum publication for “pud” science courses to fulfill that unnecessary portion of my graduation requirement. A favorite was Meteorology 101. Taught by a former TV weatherman, I remember one important factoid of forecasting the weather. No matter where you are on this planet, half the time tomorrow’s weather will be the same as today’s. So, you’ve got a 50-50 chance of getting it right before you lift a finger.

That is right. That is called persistence forecasting, and it is usually the best way to start a forecast. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I have a theory:

Wild temp swings increase flu cases and upper respiratory problems.

I’ve never understood the inclination to link ambient temp to the transmission of bacteria and viruses among humans.

Here’s a more factual causation: public schools and public transportation. Airplanes in particular are nasty human petri dishes with their overcrowding and air re-circulation systems, quickly seeding germs from state-to-state and continent-to-continent. Pandemic anyone?

"flu season" isn't because flu virus turns up seasonally.

More people indoors, less sunlight, less Vit D, and more close contact. Less UV sterilisation of clothes and surfaces.

If it was schools and planes, it would be every day

I'm not sure how reliable it is, but I've heard of a study how getting "cold" can depress one's immune system for a period of time. Of course, here, when snow starts melting, all kinds of mold and dust and other allergens are exposed, and people can have a difficult time with that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back