2019 QX60 Raybestos rear brake pads delaminating on inboard pads with 3mm remaining?

The wear scratcher was about to start contacting the rotor, so this morning I did the Infiniti QX60 rear pads and rotors with Raybestos stuff I got a month ago from RA. I'm at 110k kilometres now, last did the rears at 58k kilometres.

Surprised to see the old Raybestos inboard pads both showed separation on one edge from the backing plates. I know the wear scratcher was pretty darn close to contact and I would have been reminded to replace rear pads, but the separation makes me wonder if Raybestos should be my choice going forward? The pads stayed together, but there was visible daylight at the joint to the steel. The Raybestos pads were glued and flowed into holes in the steel back, no barbs.

What's your viewpoint?

Delamination is almost always caused by overheating. Was there a difference in wear between inner and outer pads? How easy did the pistons wind or push in? the wind in pistons sould wind with almost no effort, and without parking brake I could push any piston back just with my thumbs. Any more effort needed and pads will drag slightly but continually.

I take it you didn't find any other binding issues?

Pistons pushed back very easy, did the passenger rear using my thumbs. Yes the inboard pads were more worn than the outboard, about 50% difference by the eye. The inboard pads were also hardest to remove, so what I'm going to try is taking these apart next summer and see if the copper anti-seize I used behind the stainless clips is still there. I do the same brake pad & clip lubrication process as Eric O from South Main Auto because his winter conditions are almost the same as SW Ontario.

BTW, the QX60 for 2019 has a drum brake in hat style parking brakes, no special tools unlike many others including my 2009 Flex that has the wind-in rear pistons.

Last edited:
Back