Watch out for deer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran into two deer just standing in the middle of the road, had just enough time to take my foot of the gas. They ran off into the dark and were never heard from again.
No bag deployment, and was able to drive home with no problems. Insurance payed and fixed the car better than ever. We were very lucky. Should be open season on
deer anywhere near a road. We almost rode our Motorcycle that day.

Last edited:
"ERGO: If you don't save and organize your car receipts.....you could miss out."

Found a couple, but missing a couple receipts.. lesson being learned here.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
"If you’re handy it looks like you might be able to buy it back cheap and put a radiator, headlight, and a hood on it if you want a dedicated winter beater to keep the salt off another vehicle."

I'm probably too dang fussy, if the paint didn't perfectly match I'd end up getting the whole thing
painted of something silly like that, and end up with a way over-priced Lesabre
laugh.gif
That's why you just put an aftermarket black hood on it and leave the bumper and grille all messed up and not try to make it pretty. Name it the salt queen or something
crackmeup2.gif

"I totaled my Ford Tempo this way and woke up in the hospital after I blacked out as I landed upside down in the ditch."

Wow, now that is a bad encounter with a deer.

"That's why you just put an aftermarket black hood on it and leave the bumper and grille all messed up and not try to make it pretty. Name it the salt queen or something"

Only if I can paint a skull and crossbones on the hood
laugh.gif
... but my Wife probably wouldn't go for that.

This was a few weeks ago as I was turning off a 35 mph road onto a 25 mph side street. Just as I was about to accelerate I notice a baby deer standing right in the middle of the lane looking the opposite way. I was able to sneak up behind it and get within a few feet of it. Flashed the high beams which made it turn, notice the car and run the opposite way. I wouuld have blared the horn but houses are on the road and didn't underestimate it's stupdity by possibly runing right into me.

Originally Posted By: 400m
Ran into two deer just standing in the middle of the road,

You ran into the deer or the deer ran into you?
smile.gif

Deer tend to leave one with very little reacion time even with brights on and of course even less when one has to dim the headlights for oncoming traffic. I hade one month back in mid 90's when I hit a deer 2 months straight hit 1 in October and then one the day after Christmas. This was just south of Omaha by the Platte river (very high deer populations) My auto was a 1975 Gran torino so other than a headlight broken and the plastic grill broken no real damage, despite a direct hit zero damage to radiator, the next hit i was driving a 1979 Cougar and hit right in the center of the radiator but the chrome bumper minimized the damage other than some plastic on the grill and a headlight being cracked damage was minimal less than $100.00 back then, way below my deductable. Now if I was to hit a deer with my current cars with all of the plastic damage wold be considerable. back in the 70's cars were still pretty solid and could survive a deer strike fairly well.Not so today with all of the plastic. fortunately being retired I very very rarely have to travel at night or early morning when deer are most active. Have know a couple of guys who hit deer with motorcycles and some how survived.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
"I totaled my Ford Tempo this way and woke up in the hospital after I blacked out as I landed upside down in the ditch."

Wow, now that is a bad encounter with a deer.

That Ford Tempo was a tough little car and it saved my life. Deer came through the windshield on the passenger side. *Respect*
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
That's more than enough damage to make the car a total loss, unfortunately.
The good news is that you'll be able to find another to buy pretty cheaply from either an older person who is no longer able to drive or from an estate.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do people in deer areas ever put brush bumpers on automobiles?

No. In Pa we called brush guards damage multipliers. Most aren't meant to take a big hit, (and a deer at 50 or 60 is a big hit) and they usually fold back and do more damage than if it wasn't there. It's the worst time of year in deer country. Don't miss it.

After my accident with the Tempo I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe and negotiated a Brush Guard as part of the deal in case I hit another one I would stand a better chance. It looks ridiculous on the vehicle but living in the country I didn't care.

Last edited:
Hard to say, it happened so fast. We were driving along a semi mountain road about a 100 yrds behind another car about 30 minutes after dusk, headlights on dim, 50mph, when all I saw was a bunch of deer knees in my headlights standing on the double yellow center lines. I would have to say they took another step or two into my path and I hit them. (in repley to SatinSilver)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
That's more than enough damage to make the car a total loss, unfortunately.
The good news is that you'll be able to find another to buy pretty cheaply from either an older person who is no longer able to drive or from an estate.

I've been scanning the ads already! Will have to try and be patient for the right car at the right price. Prices are up by a few thousand since the last time I was looking to buy.

Is that too much damage to buy back and repair yourself?

What about buy back and swap the engine and transmission (and whatever else) over?

That would be an easy fix down here in Arizona. There are plenty of Buicks about that year in our wrecking yards and many are in great shape. I took a neighbor to get a part for his 98 Park Avenue last year and he was shocked to see some of the Buicks in the yard were in better shape than his.

I hit one in 1996 with a '89 Toyota Tercel. These buggers can really come out of nowhere. In my case it jumped out of a deep ditch to land right in my face.

Amazingly, the car survived and was still driveable despite the damage. I got back home since I wasn't far and called the cops. Didn't have a cell phone back then. Insurance paid for the repairs (heavy bill for such a small car) and I drove it for 10 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back