Washer/Dryer Tuneup

If it starts taking longer to dry clothing. Remove the vent tube on the back and vacuum both into the machine and toward the outside vent.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
For newer machine with fancy water saving features or front loader, just throw it away when it die.

For old fashion top loader build in the 90s and earlier, repair as needed by yourself. Calling someone and then tell you it is not fixable or cost more to fix is not a good idea.

Panda Bear we are talking tune up not repair.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

+1 Off the top of my head for my front-loader:

1. Run cleaning cycle on washer every 40 loads. There is an indicator for this on the front panel.

2. Remove and clean out detergent tray often. Leave in the OUT position between loads to dry out.

3. Remove and clean water supply screens (where the hoses attach)

4. Remove and clean discharge rock collector. I usually find coins and my wife's hair stuff (eg, Bobby pins) in there, along with hair and tissues. We're pretty good about checking pockets, but after a year you're bound to miss something

5. leave the washer door open after each load. If the washer wasn't in the basement with a dehumidifier I'd point a small fan at it

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by PandaBear
For newer machine with fancy water saving features or front loader, just throw it away when it die.

For old fashion top loader build in the 90s and earlier, repair as needed by yourself. Calling someone and then tell you it is not fixable or cost more to fix is not a good idea.

Panda Bear we are talking tune up not repair.

Yeah I guess to me refreshing all wearable parts is tune up, but to you guys probably a remanufacture

Most problem I heard on Front Loader is the mold if you keep the door close, and people using too much detergent and it corrodes the internal drum holder thing (spider?). I'm for sure not going to take apart to fix any spider, but regular maintenance rinse may be a good idea.

Last edited:
I owned a Whirlpool washer and dryer for 32 years before the dryer belt was the 1st repair I had to do to either one. I sold them and bought another set of Whirlpool appliances. I sold them before moving back to La. in 2012.
You can't beat a Whirlpool!

Originally Posted by samven
Go buy one of the long flexible dryer vent brushes, clean the vent filter and run the brush through the vent tube. Check to see if your washer has a filter, usually at the bottom behind a small door. If it does open that drain and clean the filter with some white vinegar and rinse in clean water. Check your hoses to the washer if they are the bare rubber type or do yourself a big favor and replace them with the type that have the metal mesh around them. Thats about all there is to it. Other than going out to pick up the hoses and brush it should take about 15-30 min. and cost less with new hoses than the call out fee for a service tech.

+1. Great reply..

Back