LG Washer finally said no more, I can't.

Maytag is now branded as the commercial-quality companion to Whirlpool. Talking to appliance guys there seems to some substance behind this assertion. We have a new Maytag front-loader on order - they were even on sale.

Speed Queen is overrated and the capacity sucks. It also twist sheets. I have a top load speed queen and older Maytag in my mother in-law suite I rent out. It was my main washer and dryer at my two prior homes. I built my current home with a mother-in-law suite I rent out and placed it there.

I have a larger LG front loader my wife choose because we needed something that can wash a cal-king size comforter and have the matching LG dryer that goes with it. Since it didn't cost much more in the build, the mud/luandry room has a second washer and dryer, a Maytag pet pro and matching dryer.

The Maytag Pet pro washer blows away anything I've used in terms of cleaning. It'll clean my wife's leggings which are hard to clean in other machines. Will it last as long as the Speed Queen, I doubt it.

Old pic of my Speed Queen I posted eons ago.

full-55018-8783-dsc_0002.jpg

It's hard to tell if thats good or bad because its a little like knowing a car is 13 years old but but not knowing the mileage.

If you cant afford Speed Queen you certainly cant afford Miele.

IF I couldn't afford either I'd buy (and did for my rental) Electrolux before Id Buy samsung or LG.
Well family of 3 since 2009, 4 in 2012. I kinda wish there was an hour meter on the thing now. I wonder if there is a secret menu for such. :unsure:

Funny you say Electrolux, there is one that caught my eye. Samsung is a four letter word in our house though as far as refrigerators are concerned.

Reactions: JC1
Well family of 3 since 2009, 4 in 2012. I kinda wish there was an hour meter on the thing now. I wonder if there is a secret menu for such. :unsure:

Funny you say Electrolux, there is one that caught my eye. Samsung is a four letter word in our house though as far as refrigerators are concerned.

The Mieles have a cycle counter in their hidden menus and I think my first one made it to around 15K under a family of 4 and a commercial grooming business.

Here's my electroluxes. I got one month of use out of them before the new tenant began enjoying them.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 3.09.00 PM.jpg

ANY durable good purchase (& plenty others) I use Consumer Reports.
(local library, news stand, on-line - till I find the most helpful). The reviews are so
complete, on-target, pretty indepth, and un-biased as they actually test.
Car, 'stero', sump-pump, circular saw, frz food...

I can't but commend it's tireless toil washing our clothes for the last 13 years without incident. However the rear bearings are howling like an ol' hound. It's a sign...

I was warned it would never last as no front loader ever does but here we are. Technically it still is fine if I wanted to go through the hassle of pulling the tub and replacing bearings & seals. I do not.

So just looking for any recommendations from the lot of you who might have purchased a washer & dryer in the last few years. I trust BITOG users more than other outlets. You guys don't sugar coat anything.

Also yes I know about Speed Queen and I wish I could afford Speed Queen.
We had Whirlpool Elite Top Loader and Dryer for just shy of 15 years, never an issue. Replaced a $12 part in the agitator about midway in those years.
Just moved to a new home, so while shopping for appliances we felt the new Whirlpool appliances look cheap and poorly constructed and we had a new set up in an apartment we stayed at for 6 months while our new home was completed. The new Whirlpools were a big let down, I could swear our clothes looked terrible after being washed. Again, top loading machines, new, supplied by the apartment complex.

Just moved into our new home, we shopped and researched new appliances for months before so knew what we were going to buy and those were LG Washer, Dryer and Refrigerator. We are fans of top loading washers so that is what we purchased.
They are only two weeks old *LOL* but we love the fit, finish, operation and look of them. Actually the operation is really cool.

I wanted to buy American but Whirlpool would not let me as they were offering a sloppy constructed cheap feeling appliances plus a poor experience with new units at our temporary apartment we had to pass.

Call us old school but LG sold the same exact model with an agitator and without an agitator. We bought the agitator. I have heard (not lg specific) complaints from some about the washers without agitators and we just had a bad experience with the Whirlpool in the apartment that didnt have one, so we defaulted to buying it with an agitator even though consumer reports says the top rates LG without is slightly better at washing then the one with.
We are also in LOVE with our LG side by side, counter depth refrigerator, many compliments on the look too. I also tested the temperature with a remote thermometer and it keeps the temperature incredibly accurate to what you set the freezer and refrigerator at. They are only two weeks old but we are incredibly happy with our LG choices.

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

Last edited:
My kitchen is full of LG appliances, we slowly had to replace what was there and went LG for the oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave.

If my washer/dryer ever needed replacing, Id be going with LG as well.

I firmly believe 99% of appliances are a crapshoot. One of my in-laws has **** luck with GE, my sister has 100% good luck with GE.

Buy what you think is best and hope for the best, unfortunately. I dont know of any brand that is made the same as it used to be, nor any brand that is 100% without issue. FWIW, because of past experience, I would avoid Samsung appliances (if they even still make them?)...we ended up with an LG oven because our Samsung electric oven tried to set the house on fire, Samsung even refunded me all of our $$$ like 5 years after buying it.

A very small gauge wire burnt itself loose, touched the back cover of the oven but wasn't large enough gauge to trip the 50A breaker. When I realized one of the elements wasn't working and took the panel off, saw all the burn marks on it and sent Samsung some pics and a friendly email. I won't even buy their cell phones anymore.

46 yrs as a onsite major home appliance tech, retired now 3 yrs. Electrosux, no way. LG=low grade, Samsung is Chinese for sucker. GE appliance brand is now Chinese owned, GE means generally expensive when buying the often-needed parts.
Yes a few make it long term but only the ones that are used and maintained properly. I've done a ton of in warranty and recall repairs on the above brands.
My money is spent on Whirlpool and Maytag. Kitchen Aid is just premium priced Whirlpool unless it has a feature you want.

Research any brand before buying. Most brands are just names, manufactured by a bigger corporation. For example Whirlpool has a ton of brands under their umbrella.

That said, there are some brand names that don’t fall under that description. Miele is one.

I'm surprised there is so much love here for LG laundry appliances. I've found their products, especially appliances to be total junk with poor aftermarket support for parts and repair. IMO, top loader GE or Whirlpool is the way to go. The Whirlpool VMW really is a well engineered and easy to repair unit with a crazy amount of aftermarket parts support, you can almost buy parts at Safeway.

46 yrs as a onsite major home appliance tech, retired now 3 yrs. Electrosux, no way. LG=low grade, Samsung is Chinese for sucker. GE appliance brand is now Chinese owned, GE means generally expensive when buying the often-needed parts.
Yes a few make it long term but only the ones that are used and maintained properly. I've done a ton of in warranty and recall repairs on the above brands.
My money is spent on Whirlpool and Maytag. Kitchen Aid is just premium priced Whirlpool unless it has a feature you want.
I saw at one point there was quite a share between KitchenAid/Kenmore/LG/Whirlpool as in it was basically GM with parts bin sharing.

We had a Whirlpool Dishwasher, 2 actually. The original to the house with worked great but also sounded like a jackhammer. So while it didn't break, running it anytime was an annoyance. I purchased another and within 2 years the electric element in the bottom nearly melted threw the plastic tub. I decided this time to give GE a try. Seems ok so far in but I'll wait another 2-3 years before I make that statement again.

I was gifted a Samsung range so the jury is still out on that but their refrigerators can suck it.

Our LG was a piece of garbage. One of the multiple issues, the dude came and updated the firmware. Made it worse. We left it at the old house. The funniest errors involved it running for hours (12+) and needing to pull the plug.

I bought a new LG washer & dryer front loaders in 2004. No problems for 12 years, then the washer spider arm (which holds the inner tub) broke. I took it apart and fixed, reusing the original bearings. Pretty difficult job from what I can remember going back to 2016, required complete disassembly, but other than the corroded arm, everything was in top shape. After that, we only used powder detergent. Apparently the liquid detergent sticks to the aluminum arm and eats it over time. If they made the spider arm from stainless steel it would last forever. Sold them with the house a year later.

Bought a new LG front loader combo for the new house in 2017. All has been good until a few weeks ago, the washer started tripping the breaker during sanitary cycle. Probably heater element going bad. In all, pretty hapy with LG.

LG washer spider arm.jpg
LG washer spider arm2.jpg
LG washer apart.jpg
LG washer dryer Pinebrook.JPG

I have been religiously using cleaning stuff and the cycle every month so hopefully mine looks better!

I also cleaned the pump filter at the same time.

As a long tome tech, what is your opinion on Speed Queen?

I bought a new LG washer & dryer front loaders in 2004. No problems for 12 years, then the washer spider arm (which holds the inner tub) broke. I took it apart and fixed, reusing the original bearings. Pretty difficult job from what I can remember going back to 2016, required complete disassembly, but other than the corroded arm, everything was in top shape. After that, we only used powder detergent. Apparently the liquid detergent sticks to the aluminum arm and eats it over time. If they made the spider arm from stainless steel it would last forever. Sold them with the house a year later.

Bought a new LG front loader combo for the new house in 2017. All has been good until a few weeks ago, the washer started tripping the breaker during sanitary cycle. Probably heater element going bad. In all, pretty hapy with LG.
I've changed a ton of baskets and spiders in my time. All of the front loader spiders are made of pot metal. Nothings built for the long haul anymore as consumers have been conditioned for getting the latest and greatest.
More often than not the bearings fail first. Lots of fun putting the front boot on if one doesn't have the dedicated pliers to hook the inner clamp for it.