can't believe a plumber hooked up 2 hots to a washer

went to help a friend figure out an issue with a new rental he purchased. the tenants said they were not getting cold water from the the washer. first thing i think is that mixing valve in the washer is bad. get there and figure out that the guy that plumbed the washer tapped into 2 hot water lines . never seen this before and can't believe a plumber would make this kind of mistake .

the washer valve were plumb with pex while the rest of the house was copper. looked recent . they used pex A so a special tool was needed for install , so i think it was a legit plumber .

old houses are like a box of chocolate. you never know what you will find till you open them up

Do we really don't know if the work was done by a light plumber? It could have been by a friend of a friend, helping another.
If it were a licensed plumber, I see this all the time. But not just in plumbing, with carpenters and especially electricians.

The poor workmanship being done by so-called professionals never fails to amaze me. The corners being cut and mistakes being made by those who do this for a living caused me to do as much as I can, myself. This is how I learned to do most of the things around my own home. Simply because I hate paying for incompetence. Look at some new homes being built!

As I heard one professional say[pick a profession]..."it's the few bad apples(in any profession) that ruin the reputation for the rest of us".

i guess anything could happen...probably the plumber or whoever did the job was in a hurry

The net effect is that the washer is washing on hot, regardless of the setting, right? It's not as if the temp is doubled to 260F (would kill a lot of germs).

One of my coworkers is a former plumber so I've heard the stories. I think it's once again, management--using both the customers and the workers to their bonuses, shore houses, Corvettes, and friendly tv ads and new vans. No different than when we go to Ace Hardware and find out we got 16.5 lbs of propane and not 20. The worker who did that isn't making anything off of the skim. Nor did Wells Fargo employees signing customers up for credit and accounts without their knowledge.

went to help a friend figure out an issue with a new rental he purchased. the tenants said they were not getting cold water from the the washer. first thing i think is that mixing valve in the washer is bad. get there and figure out that the guy that plumbed the washer tapped into 2 hot water lines . never seen this before and can't believe a plumber would make this kind of mistake .

the washer valve were plumb with pex while the rest of the house was copper. looked recent . they used pex A so a special tool was needed for install , so i think it was a legit plumber .

old houses are like a box of chocolate. you never know what you will find till you open them up
100% the "flippers" that sold it did the work. Anybody can Pex according to the internet.

I know a plumber that intentionally connected hot water to the toilet because the main contractor was not paying the plumber as agreed. Plumber was getting even. I imagine this is not uncommon?

My youngest son, the carpenter said the reno company he worked for stopped using a plumbing contractor because the father who started the plumbing business had his son join up and this son was a total FU. All the effort of building a great reputation by the father is blown away by his lazy, sloppy, gambling son.

My youngest son, the carpenter said the reno company he worked for stopped using a plumbing contractor because the father who started the plumbing business had his son join up and this son was a total FU. All the effort of building a great reputation by the father is blown away by his lazy, sloppy, gambling son.

Way too much of "I got this job cuz of my daddy" going on.

Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore. Odds are good that was the easiest fastest way and they didn’t care. 90% of “pros” will rip you off if they know they can.
I take issue with that. I have worked for 40 years with licensed plumbers. The vast majority of them are professionals who take great care to get the job done correctly. Sure there are rotten apples but they are in the minority.

the odd thing was that it was connected that both the hot and cold was connected to the same pipe within 2 feet of each other. also the pipes are in a basement and are clearly seen and identifiable .

When my present home was built 20 years ago, the plumbing subcontractor was totally incompetent. My toilets were connected to the hot water lines. Hot S***
I only put that laughing emoji on here because my good friend Scott (RIP) was a licensed plumber. Well he had his friend Bill helping him do rough ins and finish work. Well Bill did exactly what you mentioned in your post. Bill was actually extremely intelligent but was not the best with paying attention or using common sense.

Scott was pissed off about that happening. He was like how the hell could someone that smart be such a dumb donkey… :LOL:

Back