Was the VW Golf mk4 sold in US?

as a spaniard im curious about it.

I believe they were sold in the US, and probably made in Mexico, but im not sure.

were they offered with 1.4 and 1.6 engines like here too?

They were very common. Most of the ones still on the road have the 2.0 (aka two-point-slow) under the hood.
But as mentioned, they were offered with the 1.8 Turbo, with the base 2.0L, 1.9L TDI, 2.8L VR6, and 3.2L VR6.
The base 2.0L are still farting around.
The 1.9L TDI are swapped out into Jeeps/tractors/etc. MK4 platform dies, but engine lives on.
The 1.8T are either meticulously maintained with high dollar stuff by an enthusiast, or is already dead in the pile of other 1.8T due to sludge-related death.
2.8L VR6 are mostly dead, likely all overheated. I haven't seen a VR6 since 2015 in person...
And the mighty sounding 3.2L VR6 is making some collector or enthusiast happy. Not many left on the road. Slow, but that trumpet sound is worth every penny people ask for an R32.

Yes. MK4 Golf/GTI/R32. Engines here in U.S. were 1.8T, 2.0, 2.8VR6, 3.2VR6, 1.9 TDI depending on model/trim. Made in Mexico but some *may* have been in Wolfsburg.

I owned both, a Vr6 (baby poop yellow) and 2.0 (white) version of mk4 Golf. They were common. The actual name of the vr6's color, I believe, was Futura Yellow.

Not correct for MK4. Sounds like MK5/6.

Exactly. The 2.5 I5 was sitting in the NA Mk5 Rabbit.

Interestingly the Mk4 Golf was available with a 2.3 VR5 (10V w/ 150 HP and 20V w/ 170 HP), but not sold in the US. Probably Europe and some other markets (Australia, New Zealand?) only. Of course also available with its stable mate Bora (Jetta), perhaps Passat of that time.

Interestingly the Mk4 Golf was available with a 2.3 VR5 (10V w/ 150 HP and 20V w/ 170 HP), but not sold in the US. Probably Europe and some other markets (Australia, New Zealand?) only. Of course also available with its stable mate Bora (Jetta), perhaps Passat of that time.
Yeah 5 cyl was a cool one...too bad we didn't get that here in the states. My wife bought a MK4 Jetta GL 5spd 2.0 new in '99....we had it 14 years/220K. Great car.

Still miss my MkIV Jetta TDI, one of the few 2000's(built in '99 I think) models not sacked with massive electrical issues.

Still miss my MkIV Jetta TDI, one of the few 2000's(built in '99 I think) models not sacked with massive electrical issues.
MK4 was a pretty good platform....the interior soft touch materials and crayon smell was...well....you know.

Yes. MK4 Golf/GTI/R32. Engines here in U.S. were 1.8T, 2.0, 2.8VR6, 3.2VR6, 1.9 TDI depending on model/trim. Made in Mexico but some *may* have been in Wolfsburg.
I have one Mk4 Golf TDI currently and sold another one to my nephew, both 2003s. They were both built in Brazil. Jetta sedans from that era were made in Mexico and Jetta wagons in Germany.

MK4 was a pretty good platform....the interior soft touch materials and crayon smell was...well....you know.
Lol our mk4 Jetta TDI smells like crayons, but it actually has a melted crayon embedded in the carpet under the passenger seat. I doubt my parents will ever sell it. It's a simple little car, no dpf, manual, mechanical injection pump (still computer controlled though) and close to 400,000 miles on the odo.

as a spaniard im curious about it.

I believe they were sold in the US, and probably made in Mexico, but im not sure.

were they offered with 1.4 and 1.6 engines like here too?
Yes. But not with the 1.4 and 1.6

Just the 2.slow, 1.8T, VR6, and TDI

if I remembered right, my MK4 Golf TDI was assembled in Brazil

Back