Warning for best buy shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were REALLY happy with Best Buy this year, we bought a fair amount of items over the holidays vs online which we have been doing for the last 2 decades.

We were able to purchase ex. a new desktop computer for a Christmas Present on sale at an unbeatable online price around thanksgiving and had until Jan 14 to return it.
Man, if they beat everyones online price, why buy online when we can return something without shipping it back.

Anyway, for some odd reason, this was a Best Buy year in our house and the computer did give us an issue, GREAT machine, Fantastic price, but for the first time in my life out of maybe 12 or more computers we had to return one, Best Buy employees were great!
Walked up to the counter, told them what was wrong and they got me a new one.

SO yes, I see non holidays 15 days, no big deal, same applies to cell phones too. At least you do not have to ship it, if you get it for the same price, most electronics will fail in the first few days if there is a defect. I do agree, non holiday shopping 15 day return makes me a little uncomfy, nice to know.

Best Buy return policy, click

As others have mentioned, Walmart has similar policy and Amazon has 30 day UNOPENED policy, I dont buy things and not open them for 30 days :eek:), so Best Buy still ok by me and I am a rare one to promote any retailer ... we have had a very good experience with them this year..

FYI, Here is Amazon ... What can I return?
"You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery for a full refund."

Last edited:
Us: A fridge, a Maytag front loading washer
Friends: A GPS
Relative: A fridge and a stove

Good price, no probs, store nearby (convenient), delivery contractors seem OK (appear not to be sending videos of my house's contents to their meth-head-house-robber friends).

What's so special about Staples or anyone else?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Just so you know that they only have a 15 day return policy, after that you're out of luck. They don't even issue store credit. I'd avoid this place like the plague and let them go out of business.

Back in the day, you buy it, you own it! - No buyers remorse. People are getting too spoiled buy these easy return policies. Put you self in the shoes of the retailer or OEM.

Plus if its defective you have the manufacturers warranty. If its bad, tough luck you bought it!

( Disclainmer: None of the above applies to Chinese made junk - you juts take that [censored] out and shoot it oor stomp on it and burn it - or all of the above. )

I hated an entry level b&o turntable I bought that I found was garbage, and I tossed that on the floor an jumped on it. Lost 370 bucks of merchandise that day back in the 80's. (not a total loss, I did pop out the mmc4 cartridge first since it was decent, b&0 made some fantastic moving iron cartridges)

Agreed, when my son was in HS 7-8 years ago he took his laptop in to the geek squad because he was getting some BSOD (blue screen of death" when he got it back it was worse than ever and they installed a bunch of bloat ware and malware on it as well and then they tried to sell him a overpriced useless warranty. He ended up having to taking it to a real computer place "level Seven Computers) to fix it and fix the extra stuff that the geeks screwed up. A common cat or dog would know more about computers that the best buy knuckleheads. I would gladly spend 10-20% more for an appliance at a independent store before I will ever line the pockets of best buy. Tons of complaints about Best Buy on google reviews.

Not arguing for it, but generally there's infant mortality/like dislike in the short term, or else there's a warranty claim. Much of what they sell is high tech in theory, so it's obsolete fast. Not 15 day fast, but still fast. I get not giving a return/store credit beyond a point... but I suspect 15 days is a business decision based upon their financial position.

Just got a nice Canon printer about $50 less, (on sale), than Amazon at BB with free shipping. Any time a business can top Amazon they are doing something right.

Last edited:
The return period is longer if you use your Best Buy card and reach whatever level I am at, I think silver, on the rewards program. There is a Best Buy within walking distance of my house. I will use them when the price is really close to Amazon and I want instant gratification.

When I go in I generally know what I want and usually only need help if the item is not on the shelf. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk X10 on Cyber Monday there and while I was standing there looking at the modems one of the blue shirts started trying to tell me about how great the all in one modem/routers were. Completely oblivious to what I was holding.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
They don't have to let you return things at all. They could just say "all sales are final". They lose money when people return things because then they have to sell it as an open box item at a discount.

A percentage of returns are all factored into the price, along with damaged goods.

Precisely. Stores with less liberal return policies can offer lower prices than stores that will take anything back at anytime without a receipt. Different stores have different return policies. We should all choose what works best for us taking into proper balance the return policy versus the pricing.

OP-

I'm still waiting for the answers to my questions in my previous post a couple of pages back......

Last edited:
So I bought a hp monitor from bestbuy.com with a 1 year factory warranty.

It conked out after 9 months. Hp.com validated the serial number and said I could bring it to an authorized retailer.

Best buy (B&M) was listed as one. It darn well better have been one!

Took it there, they said I had to come back later that day with an appointment with geek squad.

Came back later, geek squad flat out refused to take possession of the monitor! They said it wasn't a computer that they could "fix".

They would have taken it though if I had gotten their extra warranty.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It probably states their return policy right on the mile long receipt they gave you. Come on man....They sell electronics, You can't expect a year long return policy!

I personally like Best Buy, Bought a scratch & dent refrigerator there over a year ago (with the 3 year warranty)& it went out last month......They replaced it with a brand new one!!

+1 .... I agree with you clinebarger. Their return policy is not unreasonable. I also like Best Buy. I've never had any problems with them. Many people are just way too "return happy". As I am getting older, I have noticed that many people have become way too difficult to please and have become more and more impatient. Unfortunately, it's not going to get any better as time goes by.

^^^ Agree with all above ^^^ and so does my wife and she is a "return happy" person!
We were blown away by Best Buy service this holiday season from two different locations no less, we even commented, it was a Best Buy year for us.

Generally we are people who buy EVERYTHING off the internet, not this year.

Here is an example of how much we buy on the internet.. which I doubt anyone can match back in 2009 in here. We ordered a 58 inch, plasma Panasonic TV from Amazon in 2009, back then, plasma TV had actual GLASS screens! Weight was 130 LBS! *L*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back