Warning for best buy shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm used to being able to return something a year later and getting store credit so I can just buy something else. I thought every store was like that.

Just take your TV back to Norstroms 8 years later ... they'll give you credit too.
wink.gif

I’ve had all good experiences with Best Buy. Good deals when you use rewards. I found they were pretty competitive with online retailers.

Why do you need more than 15 days?

Best Buy is my go to place for all my electronics. I've saved quite a bit with their generous discounts off msrp. And gamers club unlocked has saved me over $100 within in the past 6 months.

Last edited:
Just so you know that they only have a 15 day return policy, after that you're out of luck. They don't even issue store credit. I'd avoid this place like the plague and let them go out of business.

What kind of item did you want to return?

Electronics at Walmart are 15 days and Target 30 days.

Brick and mortar stores are being hit hard by places like amazon and ebay. They have reduced their staff in order to stay competitive. This means many of the staff make minimum wage, and are poorly trained. Return policies are also modified and so are warranties in order to help their profitability.

Honestly, it only makes sense to shop at brick and mortar stores now for items you need right away.

I haven't done it in awhile, but when BB has a sale I'd get Staples to price match and buy from Staples.

What were you trying to return? If it was anything electronics related, their return policy is virtually the same as any other retailers electronics return policy. Curious if you can find a retailer that allows returns for a year on electronics...

I purchase a lot of stuff from them most is shipped out of state to fund raisers,earned enough points to be a elite member.Had a few bumps in the road,but now i am wiser and have no problems. Averaged over $2,500 per year for the last 3 years!

Best Buy's return policy is clearly elucidated, on its website, and if things haven't changed, a large sign overlooking the customer service counter where returns are handled.

What many consumers are unaware of is that retailers have been tracking individuals' return habits across different retailers, via a company called TRE (The Return Equation). If a store requires a personal ID to accept returns, it's a sign that they use the technique, and the company's services.

Amazon, Best Buy, J.C. Penney, Victoria's Secret, Home Depot and Nike are all clients.

It has introduced a third party into the equation, which has no accountability, but does have the power to (by some accounts, arbitrarily) deny returns based on the data it has collected on an individual, based on some unknown criteria. TRE and the retailer are able to deflect blame onto each other, allowing neither to take responsibility.

That said, retailers are under no obligation to accept returns at all. They do so as a courtesy to customers, and to avoid being at a competitive disadvantage when the majority of peers do accept returns.

But, even the most liberal of them, such as Costco, Nordstrom, and REI, have had to change their policies to combat abuse of return privileges.

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole batch.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I guess I'm in the minority. I always kind've liked Best Buy. Decent cheap mass-fi stuff. I still use my $99 Sony cd player that I bought there maybe in 1990? Still jamming tunes flawlessly on it!!

I still like them...had a few bumps- but for the most part they have been good to me.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Best Buy's return policy is clearly elucidated, on its website, and if things haven't changed, a large sign overlooking the customer service counter where returns are handled.

What many consumers are unaware of is that retailers have been tracking individuals' return habits across different retailers, via a company called TRE (The Return Equation). If a store requires a personal ID to accept returns, it's a sign that they use the technique, and the company's services.

Amazon, Best Buy, J.C. Penney, Victoria's Secret, Home Depot and Nike are all clients.

It has introduced a third party into the equation, which has no accountability, but does have the power to (by some accounts, arbitrarily) deny returns based on the data it has collected on an individual, based on some unknown criteria. TRE and the retailer are able to deflect blame onto each other, allowing neither to take responsibility.

That said, retailers are under no obligation to accept returns at all. They do so as a courtesy to customers, and to avoid being at a competitive disadvantage when the majority of peers do accept returns.

But, even the most liberal of them, such as Costco, Nordstrom, and REI, have had to change their policies to combat abuse of return privileges.

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole batch.

Bed, Bath and Beyond does it as well.

I think if folks actually understood just how bad people abuse the system for returns and theft, you would wonder why stores even bother taking returns back...

We had a local best buy that had a freight trailer broken into, and they took almost the whole truck in less than 20 minutes. And have tried to return it to all the local stores as well....

I used to work for them. Never an issue working for them or supporting them. They always matched prices for me quite easily.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It probably states their return policy right on the mile long receipt they gave you. Come on man....They sell electronics, You can't expect a year long return policy!

I personally like Best Buy, Bought a scratch & dent refrigerator there over a year ago (with the 3 year warranty)& it went out last month......They replaced it with a brand new one!!

you tend to [censored], Whine & Cry about a lot things, Calm down.....You'll live longer!

I'm just informing others.

How about you explain what you tried to return? Most electronics only have 14 days return policy. I returned a router after 29 days, granted I never opened the box.

Just so you know that they only have a 15 day return policy, after that you're out of luck. They don't even issue store credit. I'd avoid this place like the plague and let them go out of business.

OK-let's get the story "behind the story" or I see your rant as pointless. What did you buy? Why did you want to return it? How long did you have the product in your possession? Did you have the original packaging? How about the receipt? How long DO YOU THINK you should have on returning the item?

Let's get the facts.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It probably states their return policy right on the mile long receipt they gave you. Come on man....They sell electronics, You can't expect a year long return policy!

I personally like Best Buy, Bought a scratch & dent refrigerator there over a year ago (with the 3 year warranty)& it went out last month......They replaced it with a brand new one!!

+1 .... I agree with you clinebarger. Their return policy is not unreasonable. I also like Best Buy. I've never had any problems with them. Many people are just way too "return happy". As I am getting older, I have noticed that many people have become way too difficult to please and have become more and more impatient. Unfortunately, it's not going to get any better as time goes by.

14 days electronics return has been around for almost 10 years now. It was originally there because price dropped so quick and products get stale if you let people return after a long time.

Most other B&M let you return normal stuff for 90 days, and some let you return store brand for 120 days to 1 year (Target, IKEA). Still, if you abuse it they'll probably won't let you return again.

Amazon only has 30 days for most items, so I personally would rather shop on Target with red card (free shipping) instead.

Last edited:
I haven't been to Best Buy in 10 years.

The last store I was at, the employees had music blasting from the home entertainment center.

Extremely annoying the bass they had pumping at 200 watts.
frown.gif

I do understand they want to showcase their hi end speakers, but the volume was ridiculous loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back