Wanted to use Redline CV-2 grease on Mazda balljoints, incompatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 Mazda Miata. I have some new balljoints and tie rod ends to install tomorrow, and I wanted to add some Redline CV-2 grease to the joints for longevity's sake. I don't know what kind of grease Mazda uses on their balljoints. These are new factory Mazda balljoints I have. Removing the dust caps would be very difficult and could tear them, so I didn't want to do that. I have a grease needle I was going to use to inject the Redline grease between the joints and rubber dust caps.

Should I even bother and just let the joints be, or would the Redline be compatible and prolong the lives of the joints?

Thanks.

I belive Redline CV-2 is a lithium complex ,and should be compatible with what Mazda uses ,it is hard to know what the factory uses ans they change around on brands ,types,,one way to help what is in there is to kneed the grease boot with your hands,work it around every oil change,,with the tires off the ground.......BL

RL was not Lith last I looked better to talk to them but Yes compatibility is a crap shoot with any pre lubed suspension part I just grease them with my current choice of lith complex EP grease and remember to re grease a few times to purge the old grease out Incompatibility will show as grease leakage or "melting" out of a fitting purgring with new grease will wash out the "bad" stuff and you will be fine.
bruce

In compatability in ball joints isn't the end of the world. Grease it normal the first round making sure you purge it. Then regrease at half the normal interval the next two times and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back