Wanli to Open Billion Dollar Tire Plant in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/06/wanli-tire-to-spend-1-billion-on-us-plant/

Quote:
China’s Guangzhou Vanlead Group Co. Ltd. reports that its subsidiary, Wanli Tire Corporation Ltd., intends to start work on a US$1 billion tyre factory in the US state of South Carolina during the first half of next year.

The first phase of the US factory project will be implemented with an investment of $600 million and involve the setting up of a plant in Orangeburg County, South Carolina, that is capable of producing 6 million passenger car tyres per annum. The second phase will add truck tyre manufacturing to the site. The project is expected to create around 1,200 jobs.

According to Vanlead chairman Fu Shoujie, the lower cost of land and certain utilities in the USA counterbalances higher labour and construction costs, making the overall cost of tyre manufacturing there comparable to production costs in China.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/06/wanli-tire-to-spend-1-billion-on-us-plant/

Quote:
China’s Guangzhou Vanlead Group Co. Ltd. reports that its subsidiary, Wanli Tire Corporation Ltd., intends to start work on a US$1 billion tyre factory in the US state of South Carolina during the first half of next year.

The first phase of the US factory project will be implemented with an investment of $600 million and involve the setting up of a plant in Orangeburg County, South Carolina, that is capable of producing 6 million passenger car tyres per annum. The second phase will add truck tyre manufacturing to the site. The project is expected to create around 1,200 jobs.

According to Vanlead chairman Fu Shoujie, the lower cost of land and certain utilities in the USA counterbalances higher labour and construction costs, making the overall cost of tyre manufacturing there comparable to production costs in China.

If they make tires here but are still owned by the Chinese do they still get bashed on BITOG?

Probably-since Hyundai, Kia,Subaru and to a lesser extent Toyota doesn't get the love on here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
If they make tires here but are still owned by the Chinese do they still get bashed on BITOG?

It they keep making [censored] tires, yes.

There are a number of things I find interesting.

1) This is the third tire plant to be built in South Carolina in recent years - Continental, Giti, and Wanli. South Carolina already was the US home for Michelin and they have 3 plants in the state in addition to R&D and headquarters staff. The 3rd largest port on the east coast - Charleston - is just down the road.

2) They claim they already make 16 million tires a year - and the new plant will make as much as 6 million. That's a HUGE increase. They may have trouble getting enough qualified people to man the important positions.

3) I used to work at a tire plant that produced over 10 million a year, so 16 million doesn't sound like that big of a number. Keep in mid, there are reportedly 900 million tires on the ground in the US.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
car tires?

truck tires?

Does it matter?

Isn't Wanli one of the few Chinese tire companies that actually make OK tires?

I have actually had some REALLY CRRAAPPYY Goodyears over the years...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Isn't Wanli one of the few Chinese tire companies that actually make OK tires?

I have actually had some REALLY CRRAAPPYY Goodyears over the years...
That's my problem of the couple actual American tire companies, I've had bad luck with one Goodyears. The other being Kelly's that are made by Goodyear. I'm stuck buying foreign tires.

If Vanlead chairman Fu Shoujie can assure me that their tires will not be like the Firestone 721's on my 1978 Pontiac Catalina (I could see the belts after 18,000 miles) or the Goodyear Conquest Tires on my 1989 Cavalier (my 80+ year old mother wore the tires out in under 12,000 miles), I'll buy some of his tires.

Nuff said,

xtell

Originally Posted By: xtell
If Vanlead chairman Fu Shoujie can assure me that their tires will not be like the Firestone 721's on my 1978 Pontiac Catalina (I could see the belts after 18,000 miles) or the Goodyear Conquest Tires on my 1989 Cavalier (my 80+ year old mother wore the tires out in under 12,000 miles), I'll buy some of his tires.

Nuff said,

xtell
That Cavalier had other things going on for those tires to wear out that quickly.

Seriously. All four tires were worn out (bald) prior to 12,000 miles. Thing is I do not think she was using the car for Drifting, Drag Racing, Off Roading, Rock Climbing or Auto Cross. How could a 80+ year old woman grind down the tread on tires (new car - factory tires). I ditched the Conquests and put Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires on the car, without an allignmentbecause the tire shop said the alignment was within specification for the car, and they lasted 60,000+ miles.

Never had a bad tire, car, SUV, LT, ST etc from Goodyear ... worst I ever had was factory installed Hankook ...
For that matter - don't know anyone (this day and time) getting extremely short runs from major brands

Originally Posted By: xtell
Seriously. All four tires were worn out (bald) prior to 12,000 miles. Thing is I do not think she was using the car for Drifting, Drag Racing, Off Roading, Rock Climbing or Auto Cross. How could a 80+ year old woman grind down the tread on tires (new car - factory tires). I ditched the Conquests and put Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires on the car, without an allignmentbecause the tire shop said the alignment was within specification for the car, and they lasted 60,000+ miles.

xtell,

You should be aware that OE tires - the ones that come on new cars - are spec'd by the vehicle manufacturers, not the tire manufacturers. If there was a wear problem, it was caused by GM's specs - and they've done that more than once!

Yea. I have read more than once that auto manufacturers specify certain "qualities" they want in tires, like quiet ride or high mileage, versus what the specs are that the actual tire manufacturer makes for aftermarket tires of the same make and labeling.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
This is a response to US tariffs on Chinese tires.

This. And they also need to make "Smartway" certified tires as well. I ride my bike around the Port of Oakland sometimes, and if a truck isn't operated by a major carrier as a owner/operator or a lease, it's almost always shod with Chinese tires.

And the fact that even "family" cars are coming standard with big wheels and many people miss the days of $300-400/set tires. I've been seeing lots of Chinese tires as replacement on new cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back