Walmart mark up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
If someone works for WM, I don't think it's a good idea to be posting about WM's markups on the internet.

Fwiw I happen to agree with you Tony. 'IMO', there's a certain implied trust factor that goes along with being employed at any company or organization, posting internal company information on the internet is a violation of that trust.

As for the topic, while I suppose interesting for small talk sake to some, makes no difference to me. When possible I generally purchase based on comparative price for same product among retailers. Knowing the mark up is inconsequential to me. It is what it is.

As an aside, without knowing, it's possible other retailers mark up for the same topic items could be far greater.

If Autozone won't give their employees the 10-20% discount on oil I don't think their markup is that high... and by extent, I don't think WM can undercut AZ's wholesale deal by more than a few %. Doing the math I don't think ST is coming in for half the price it goes out as... unless it's a very specific moment in time where wholesale oil ingredient prices have plummeted and shelf prices haven't kept up. This could have happened, IMO, with crude slipping below $40/bbl last year. Even then I expect the blender to have pocketed that, assuming they were in a long-ish term contract with WM.

I encourage any WM employees who haven't signed NDAs to spill the dirt. They should also return to work with positive information about organized labor.

If someone works for WM, I don't think it's a good idea to be posting about WM's markups on the internet.
Walmart employes 2% of the US population. It would be pretty difficult to sniff me out. Also Walmart managers have told pretty much told me I am replaceable. No doubt that I'm replaceable, but I have done nothing wrong to deserve that talk. Sometimes I come into work thinking today is going to be my last,there is no job security here.

I'm young, have enough money in the bank to pay bills for a year. Going to school. I do not rely on Walmart.

Also I'm not Anti-Walmart or Anti-capitalism. This thread was PURELY conversation. Even though I don't like Walmarts no job security, I knew that from day 1, they have no problem firing for the littlest things. If I was fired tommorow, would I be upset? Sure. Would I shop there after? You bet. But most importantly, it's life and there are tons of jobs out there.

When I worked at Oreilly Auto Parts, my discount was 10% above store cost. WIX filters were a few dollars depending on the model. The "high dollar" Microgard I bought was $1.67.

That 30% AAP coupon is really nothing. In fact, employees from AAP have told me their discounts are about that good. As mentioned above, AZ isn't that good either.

Oreilly really was a good company to work for in terms of employee benefits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Walmart employes 2% of the US population. It would be pretty difficult to sniff me out. Also Walmart managers have told pretty much told me I am replaceable. No doubt that I'm replaceable, but I have done nothing wrong to deserve that talk. Sometimes I come into work thinking today is going to be my last,there is no job security here.

I'm young, have enough money in the bank to pay bills for a year. Going to school. I do not rely on Walmart.

Also I'm not Anti-Walmart or Anti-capitalism. This thread was PURELY conversation. Even though I don't like Walmarts no job security, I knew that from day 1, they have no problem firing for the littlest things. If I was fired tommorow, would I be upset? Sure. Would I shop there after? You bet. But most importantly, it's life and there are tons of jobs out there.

Glassdoor allows people read about companies and how they are to work for. I am sure whatever OP posted was already on the web.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I would be curious how stores like Advance stock slow-selling parts that depreciate. They don't seem to have a "master hub warehouse" like NAPA where one could go into the city and get that weird thing the same day. They could and perhaps do "pepper" various stores with the oddball stuff. They do a bang-up job of showing stuff online and letting me reserve/ buy/ pickup/ send the wife... so good that other industries should and maybe have copied.

They do have hubs. I’ve ordered parts they didn’t have in stock, and they said “it’s at the hub”. I think they send their slow-moving items back to the warehouse. I saw the manager boxing up old product one day. It looked like wheel bearings, alternators, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back