Vise-Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post in this forum, hope it is not old news.
After like a hundred years of manufacture in the US, Vise-Grip is leaving its hometown in Nebraska and relocating to China.

If you're contemplating some replacements, now would be a good time. Don't know the timetable.
Hope this helps somebody, it made me sick.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
That's a shame. I've got several and they are/were the best. It won't be long and toothpicks will be made there.

Actually, most toothpicks are already made in China. The cheap ones tend to splinter. I presume liability laws preclude domestic manufacturers from making such dangerous implements anyway.
grin2.gif

My last pair of Vice-Grips lasted only a couple years before breaking.

That is terrible! I have both Vise-Grips and the Harbor Freight Chinese knock offs. Guess what? Both of them are stored in the same garage right next to each other. Guess which one is so rusted that the springs just fall out of it? The Chinese one. Guess which one has the durability of pot metal? The Chinese one. I am so tired of this [censored]. I feel like I am losing my country right before my eyes. What a shame. My Vise-Grips are like 20 years old and they still function. Same with old US made pairs of Channel Lock type pliers.

I will be buying a few more pair before this happens. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
"It won't be long and toothpicks will be made there. "

I noticed that the Diamond toothpicks weren't as smooth, some had splinters, and that there were a fair number of bad ones. I then noticed the box coming apart and muttered 'they might as well be made in China....", and looking at the box they were. I have one old box of US made and there is a noticeable difference in quality. It's one thing to have something made somewhere else, it's another to just not care about the quality.

I need to look carefully at everything these days, and have been trying to buy US, Japanese and European made when available as it's just a matter of time before it's made in China.

That sucks. Looks like I'll be stocking up on the USA made versions, but I can't buy the Chinese replacements in good faith. Competition, blah, blah. Pretty soon absolutely nothing will be made here anymore.

Pretty soon you'll be able to buy nothing but junk. Want to pay more for better? Sorry, you can't. Well, you can pay more, but it won't be better.

Just imagine, Chinese made roads and bridges; Assembled with Chinese made Vise-Grips.

Will the Chinese made vise-grips still pinch your hands?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I believe that the Craftsman versions are still made in USA.

I prefer the Vice-grip brand version (in its current incarnation, anyway). The craftsmans just don't grip as well and aren't as durable in my experience.

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up before all the American versions are off the shelves.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Johnny
That's a shame. I've got several and they are/were the best. It won't be long and toothpicks will be made there.

Actually, most toothpicks are already made in China. The cheap ones tend to splinter. I presume liability laws preclude domestic manufacturers from making such dangerous implements anyway.
grin2.gif

Actually there is a company in Rhinelander, WI that makes toothpicks. Darnedest thing I ever saw. Took a tour a few year back. Amazing seeing big logs entering the building and when they get through you have millions of toothpicks.

"Diamond" brand toothpicks were made here for years though,,,,,''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Finally used up that first log!

Bob

I have a set of curved jaw Vise-Grips,and a set of straight jaws branded YU-FU,I think the YU-FU ones are possibly made in China.Both are over 25 years old and discoloured from years of welding use.I can't see much diference in quality.

I just picked up a pair of Irwin brand, made-in-USA, vise-grips yesterday at Lowes. Not only are they made-in-USA but the company is headquartered in my town, Huntersville NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back