Viscosity around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fit for purpose. Driving conditions, use, vehicle lifecycle expectations need to be taken into account.
It’s easy enough to load an engine oil into the vehicle that meets the worst case driving condition.
While towing a trailer across the summer dessert at 80 mph, it may not be a good time to reconsider the 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
The truth is - most owner manuals say that in "high heat or towing higher viscosity oils may be used to prevent engine damage". So use what you want, and good luck finding cases of "rejected warranty due to oil viscosity"

Exactly what I was wondering. It's likely been said before, but I would imagine any auto manu would have a hard time denying any oil /grade engine failure if their viscosity recommendations vary throughout the world.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
...all the people on here asking, "can I run xw-xx in my car?"
The answer has to literally be "any viscosity from 0w20 to 10w40 is fine.

I couldn't agree more.

This is why I pay no attention to recommended oil here in the US. Driving conditions dictate what I use. 75-80mph up a 7% grade in AZ heat? I'm not using 20wt. 30-50wt for me

Does anyone know what they spec in the GM Ecotec 2.4 and 3.6 LFX, along with the 2.7 Tacoma engine in other parts of the world? Also the Mitsubishi Mivec 2.0 and 2.4

Last edited:
Mitsubishi New Zealand supply a 5W-30, it's A3/B4 and supplied by Castrol...and Castrol recommend Edge 5W-30 for those engines....

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Does anyone know what they spec in the GM Ecotec 2.4 and 3.6 LFX, along with the 2.7 Tacoma engine in other parts of the world? Also the Mitsubishi Mivec 2.0 and 2.4
yup. 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, 5w40, 5w50, 10w30, 10w40, 10w50, 20w40, 20w50, and everything in between depending on weather conditions and amount of towing. (Loading the car to the roof till it drops on bumpstops is considered towing too, just without a trailer.)

I fi had a car speccing 0W-16, 0W-20, i would simly run a full-syn 30 that meets the same specs
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Do we see high metals in UOAs with 20wt oils?

I’ve been pretty impressed with 0W-20 UOAs. However, wear metals are only part of the story. Pistons will certainly get dirtier with a 0W-20, holding everything else equal.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
What I find hilarious is guys thumping their chest saying they use 5w30 because they think it's thick oil. Sorry boys, it ain't!

Mine is a thick 5w-30, though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Yep and it will end the same way as the hundreds before it.

What I find hilarious is guys thumping their chest saying they use 5w30 because they think it's thick oil. Sorry boys, it ain't!

Over here, 20W-50 is thick....

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Olas
Europe uses 30 and 40 in 90ish % of ICEs. ...
Do engines last longer in Europe as a result?

No, they do not. Think you in America putting more miles on your cars than we do here in EU

My understanding is that the engines don't last any longer in total, but they get there with longer OCI and less oil changes. I hear 2 years and 20,000 miles on a 0/5W-40 A3/B4 oil is not that uncommon an OCI in Europe.

In many respects, a 0W20 every 6 months or a 0W40 every 18 months, hard to know which to pick.

I've mentioned this in another thread, the 2.5 Litre 2AR-FE VVT-I engine in the 2017 Camry in Australia. They say you can use: 0W20, 5W30, 10W30, 15W40 and 20W50 (SN).

I suspect most vehicles would be the same, as long as you got the correct cold starting ability for your climate, and changed the oil at regular intervals.

A few times I've been offered an extended engine warranty (3rd Party), they stressed to me that to keep the warranty the oil needed to be changed every 10,000 KM (6000 miles) and beyond that OCI restriction they didn't stipulate or even seem to care about viscosity grade. Probably because they know that it all works if kept fresh.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I wonder if CAFE dictates that a particular grade (say 0W-20) must be used even for warranty for it to count towards average fuel economy.

You nailed it. In order to get the credits for higher mpg, manufacturers can specify ONLY the oil used for CAFE testing. They can't even show a chart with different viscosities any more - unless they want to lose the $$.

Several examples on here of manufacturers saying a thicker oil may be "needed" or "required for adequate protection" under some circumstances...but with no numbers attached this sidesteps the CAFE requirement.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Olas
Europe uses 30 and 40 in 90ish % of ICEs. ...
Do engines last longer in Europe as a result?

No, they do not. Think you in America putting more miles on your cars than we do here in EU

My understanding is that the engines don't last any longer in total, but they get there with longer OCI and less oil changes. I hear 2 years and 20,000 miles on a 0/5W-40 A3/B4 oil is not that uncommon an OCI in Europe.

In many respects, a 0W20 every 6 months or a 0W40 every 18 months, hard to know which to pick.

1 year and 20k km is normal here. And toyota have 1 year or 15k km oci with a 0w-20.
But the thin oils here is expensive vs xw-40. I have had more problems with 40 grads oils than the 20-30 grads oils. But its all depends on engine types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back