Virgin MGL57356 cut open

For those who are wondering like I was. $5.79 plus tax at my local Oreillys. 95% at 29 microns. Rated for 3k-5k oil changes. Nitrile rubber adbv, glued seam, very neat gluing, coil spring, made in China. I wouldn’t hesitate to use this filter on my Honda.

IMG_6038.jpeg

IMG_6039.jpeg

IMG_6040.jpeg

IMG_6041.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

Looks good - I would much rather run that filter over a Fram orange can even with it's silicone ADBV.

Question I have is does that kids playhouse have a window in it ?

Or did you cut a window out of it with a chainsaw ?

:LOL:

Looks good - I would much rather run that filter over a Fram orange can even with it's silicone ADBV.
Good Morning GMBoy,
I'm curious about your preference of the MicroGard over the Fram Extra Guard. The Fram has better performance specs (95% @20 w/10K life) with a lower price. Not challenging you, just curious about your experience/perception of the product. Thank you!

Good Morning GMBoy,
I'm curious about your preference of the MicroGard over the Fram Extra Guard. The Fram has better performance specs (95% @20 w/10K life) with a lower price. Not challenging you, just curious about your experience/perception of the product. Thank you!
You are stating facts and cannot contest that. I am aware the Fram actually has a little better performance and is rated longer in mileage as well as having a better ADBV. My preference is actually based on the construction of the Fram. I don't like the fiber endcaps and the wide pleats. I just feel there are better built filters in the same price range. Please understand this is just my opinion and does not negate the truth of the facts and that millions of these Frams are sold and used without issues. I used to use them and still will occasionally if that is all that's available. I do appreciate your reaching out and, again, I realize the Fram meets good specs and nothing wrong with it - it's just my personal preference for metal end caps. For the record also I have no issues with the top line Frams (ultra) which are built very well.

You are stating facts and cannot contest that. I am aware the Fram actually has a little better performance and is rated longer in mileage as well as having a better ADBV. My preference is actually based on the construction of the Fram. I don't like the fiber endcaps and the wide pleats. I just feel there are better built filters in the same price range. Please understand this is just my opinion and does not negate the truth of the facts and that millions of these Frams are sold and used without issues. I used to use them and still will occasionally if that is all that's available. I do appreciate your reaching out and, again, I realize the Fram meets good specs and nothing wrong with it - it's just my personal preference for metal end caps. For the record also I have no issues with the top line Frams (ultra) which are built very well.
Good Morning GMBoy,
I really appreciated your feedback, thank you.

End caps are an interesting feature of the filter. I recently watched the 2011 Fram video on the engineering and testing of oil filters and I learned the end caps provide no structural integrity; that they only exist to seal off the end of the media and that they have been eliminated on some filters. I believe the Toyota cartridges have none.
For me it would be interesting to learn why stamped metal is chosen for end caps because my perception is they must be more expensive to produce compared to the fiber used on the Extra and Tough Guards. And as you mentioned Fram employs metal on their higher end filters!

Again, I thank you for the good dialogue on this!

Back