VIN character that designates engine

Also be aware that there are versions of the CR-V that are NOT AWD. They are front wheel drive only. Because the LX models are the lowest cost versions of the CR-V it is more likely to find a front wheel drive version in an LX because when new they are often sold to people who want the lowest cost version and the front wheel drive only is the lower cost version of the LX. So if you want AWD be sure to check that the vehicle has the AWD symbol on the back.

The AWD version is only AWD at low speed. Somewhere between 20 MPH and 30 MPH when accelerating it switches to only rear wheel drive.

If you use tire chains in the winter they are only to be put on the front tires even if it is an AWD. The correct chains are: Cable-type : SCC Radial Chains TC2111MM you can get them at NAPA for about $147.99 + tax If you get chains get an extra set of the rubber tension clips and use 2 sets to get the chains tight enough everywhere so they do not flap around.

Last edited:
Black interior is out for me. Tan or light grey only. I'd almost rather have a FWD version as opposed to the AWD, but that won't determine either way which one I choose.

Originally Posted by grampi
Black interior is out for me. Tan or light grey only. I'd almost rather have a FWD version as opposed to the AWD, but that won't determine either way which one I choose.

The front wheel drive only, gets about one more MPG in city, or highway, or all around, and when you change the CVT fluid it takes less fluid. It has been a while since I read about it, but if I remember correctly, you have to buy 4 quarts to fill the front only CVT, and 5 quarts to fill the AWD CVT because the AWD has the transfer case that drives the rear wheels included in the CVT and uses the fluid also for that section.

One disadvantage to AWD is that you should ALWAYS have the same size tires with the same amount of wear on all 4, and with the front drive only, you only should ALWAYS keep the same size with the same amount of wear on the front (the front tires should match each other), and the back tires should match each other in size and wear, but the front 2 do not have to match the back 2.

And there is no rear end fluid to change on the front wheel only vehicles, though the rear end on AWD takes about 1 and 1/2 quarts of special Honda fluid and is easy to do if you buy the manual pump that fits the one quart bottles. It is available on e-bay.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that a torque wrench should never be use to loosen the lug nuts. Along with the torque wrench I also keep a 4 way tire iron wrapped in a small old rug on-top of the spare tire for loosening the wheel lugs. There are videos on Youtube that show how to set up the jack that is in the CR-V and where to place it. Watch some of those videos so you know how to do it if you ever have to.

Last edited:
One of the Youtube videos said that when you use the eco mode the vehicle may cut back on the amount it runs the AC. So if it is a very hot day you may want to not have the eco mode on for a while until you get the vehicle cooled off.

You will find out that in general you want to use the eco mode all the time because when it is off the vehicle will slow down when you let off the gas to let it drift because it will use engine braking, but with eco on the vehicle will drift better when you let off the gas. The eco mode gets better gas millage.

Last edited:
If you ever drive in deep snow or mud and need to be able to get the drive train to allow enough power to the wheels to cause the wheels to spin some, there is a button to disable the traction control. It is rare that you should need this, but if you do it is there. The other use for this button is if you have to use the spare and it does not have the same outside diameter as the other tires. There are Youtube videos on what this button looks like.

There is also a button to re-calibrate the tire pressure monitoring system. OP, CR-Vs of the years you are looking at have use the indirect tire pressure monitoring system. It has a computer that monitors the rotations of each wheel and if a tire is low that tire will have a slightly smaller outside diameter and rotate more as the vehicle is driven. The computer senses this and if it happens triggers a warning light that a tire is low. The advantages of this system are that there are no tire pressure monitors on the rims.

Vehicles that use the tire pressure monitor sensors on each wheel have the batteries go bad about every 7 to 10 years and the sensors have to be replaced because the batteries are not removable to be replaced. They are expensive. And sometimes they go bad for other reasons. The Honda CR-V does not use this type of system.

The indirect system that the CR-V uses never requires you to buy replacement tire pressure monitors.

Another advantage of the indirect system is that if you do use a second set of rims and tires for winter you do NOT have to buy tire pressure monitors for those either. And you do not have to pay the dealer to reprogram the vehicle to learn a new set of tire pressure sensors.

If the second set of tires are a different diameter the system is sensitive enough that it might see there is some difference and set off the low tire pressure light, but you can hit the button in the vehicle to get the vehicle to relearn the new tires and not have to pay the dealer to do it. There are Youtube videos on what this button looks like and how to use it.

The indirect system that CR-Vs have is a much better system because you do not have to pay for tire pressure monitors, and you do not have to pay for the dealer to reprogram if you do have a winter set of tires on rims.

Last edited:
The wife and I drove a 2016 CR-V today with the 2.4 liter engine and it was a dog! Pedal to metal and it seemed to take an hour to get to 60 mph. I may have to opt for the turbo, which I didn't want to do...

Availability is another problem. There are plenty of LX and EX-L models available, but the EX trim levels are almost nonexistent. The LX lacks options we want, and the EX-L has leather seats, which we despise. It's also way too expensive...These problems have us looking at other vehicles, like the Mazda CX-5...

Back