FantomWorks Chevelle Steering Problem S2 E12

At around 48:55 the restoration shows details of a power steering fault. Engine running, the steering wheel oscillates through about 90 deg, without any input from the driver.

I remember being on a Citroen course in the late eighties. We were shown a Citroen BX steering valve and pinion assy from a rack & pinion.

A mechanic said he'd seen one where the torsion bar had snapped. The bar between the input from the steering column, linking it to the pinion. He said that the power steering cycled back and forth like the one in the programme (UK spelling) is this likely to be the fault the Chevelle displayed?
The lecturer on the course was amazed that the bar could ever break.

From memory, the design was failsafe allowing the car still to be controlled, albeit with loads of free play at the steering wheel...
Any opinions if this is what happened to this car?

Like some things, this always stuck in my mind. Then again, my brain never shuts down or up :)

By the way, on eBay UK there's a badly listed full kit to install a Chevrolet L3 crate engine into a kit car or any other car. It is complete bar the ECU. There is the correct ECU on eBay USA.

From memory, the two parts are about $180 and $1,000 respectively.

A saving of around $6,000 on the factory list price.

It is complete with looms, sensors and loads of other kit. A genuine bargain. I did offer to tell the seller what he actually had, but he was so sure it was a kit for some automatic transmission modification. He was wrong.

If anyone is genuinely interested, I will try and find the two and post details. It will take me ages to dig them up again, so a promise of $20 donation to a local animal charity would be nice if you did decided to buy :)

I hope this is within Bob's rules?

Last edited:
Back