Video pulling Tiger Moutain summit 6.0 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Does yours have a secondary fan? Sounds like our 6.0L in the Class C. Pulling a car around Colorado had to let it sing more than a few times! Even with extreme duty fan clutch I have to watch the coolant temps, no idea on the transmission temps. Probably sound get a temp gauge and change out the cooler with a fan for the transmission. But the trans is shot anyways.

Nope one big fan with mechanical stock clutch. Even pulling in the heat of the desert I have not seen the temp go above 212 in the truck on the scanner. Maybe a difference in the radiator?

Sounds about the same.. The highest it goes now is one line above 210 whatever that is. Typically between 210 and two lines below. I think the enclosed space of the van chassis doesn't help.

I would imagine that is the difference, lots of room for airflow in the truck.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: glock19
Truck is a 6.0/4L80E 4.10 gears 2WD.

A 6.0L and 4.10 gears, no wonder you don't need a diesel.

My 3500 has the same set up. But with the larger tires, the engine is only turning around 2400 RPM's at 80 MPH.

Except you have the nice 6 speed.
smile.gif
Only thing I would really like to have on this truck. 80 is about 2700 for me.
So I will explain the black rims. I don't like them but they were a deal. The original rims were to big to fit a stock size tire on the truck (aftermarket rims)
Last year I noticed some dry rot on the tires 3 days before a trip. I got the rims and tire you see for 1600 bucks from Les Schwab. they did not have the chrome or aluminum in stock and it is was our biggest trip of the year.
One thing I notice with stock tires is how much longer and more often the truck will hold overdrive.

One thing I notice with stock tires is how much longer and more often the truck will hold overdrive.

I'd imagine your only "fix" for that is to "tune" the transmission for your new tire size.

Yeah, I love that 6 speed tranny in my truck. It shift around town and on the highway nicely....whether I'm babying it or getting into it.

My only dislike is how it "launches" from a dead stop....because it doesn't.

Since the first video didn't have sound I turned it on for this one.

I did not exceed 60ish mph or 4500 RPM. Trans temp did not exceed 180.

I am glad I kept the stock exhaust on this one.

I was loaded for 4 days of camping right around 14,500 lbs combined.

You have to turn it up a bit, the camera gets so so sound.

All this discussion of gas vs. diesel, and you never mentioned fuel economy. What kind of fuel consumption do you have with your trailer at a steady 65 mph? Then we can discuss economics.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I'd imagine your only "fix" for that is to "tune" the transmission for your new tire size.

Yeah, I love that 6 speed tranny in my truck. It shift around town and on the highway nicely....whether I'm babying it or getting into it.

My only dislike is how it "launches" from a dead stop....because it doesn't.

It now has the stock size on it. The old ones actually made it a 3.80 gear.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Was that pedal to the metal?

Nope, it is rare I have to put the pedal on the floor.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

All this discussion of gas vs. diesel, and you never mentioned fuel economy. What kind of fuel consumption do you have with your trailer at a steady 65 mph? Then we can discuss economics.

Well fuel isn't something I worry about when towing or I wouldn't be towing.
smile.gif

On this trip I averaged over 8 mpg. Last trip was closer to 10. So not off base. Now the guy I camp with has a 1 ton dually Duramax and tows a Montana 5th wheel with LT tires and gets about the same MPG I do, but his trailer weighs more than my entire setup. I am sure he would get much better MPG towing my trailer.
So it isn't just that you have to look at how heavy you are and how you are setup also. But based of the fact that you are a "Hot Shotter" You know that and way more about it then I do about it.

As far as economics and this particular truck? You have to remember I paid only 12,000 for it with 23,000 miles on it in 2010.

Driving around empty I get about 15MPG.

No need for a diesel!

HD cooling systems are nice to have, that's for sure - I don't think I've got my 5.4 above 200 when pulling 7000 pounnds up a very steep hill foot-to-the-floor 3700 RPM in 3rd gear.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Is this what's termed a "hater' in BITOG current parlance ?

I'm not sure how stating my opinion makes me a "hater"?

I didn't bash diesels, I was having a conversation with Mike about how most guys would have a $70,000 bling machine and pull a little camper, while his $12k truck gets the job done with a big trailer just fine.

Diesel has its place, my dad had an 04' Silverado 2500HD Duramax and he regularly pulled a 10k-11k pound Gooseneck trailer, something you might not want to do with a gas truck.

[/quote] But, just think what you could do with the extra 5 minutes you'd save by pulling faster up the hills!

Unless it's an absolutely huge trailer, I'm not so sold on diesel trucks when usually a gas one can do it for a fraction of the price, with easier and cheaper maintenance. [/quote]
There is some times money isn't the whole picture. My wife has a F250 with the 7.3. She love the truck and when the daughter and her go horsie riding. The wife and daughter likes big things between their legs and they own large horsies one is almost 1400 lbs and the other is 1500 lbs. The trailer weight empty is 4,900 lbs add water,food tack clothing etc and while not maxed out it is a good load. The truck gets at least 14 MPGs has good power and is a nice truck. I bought a Honda commercial mower . Since I bought the mower in 2011 My wife fell in love with the Mower and I haven't cut the lawn since.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I think its both a straight opinion and sarcasm.. Not hating.

Opinion that diesel may not be worth it.

Basically at this towing weight there are plenty of really strong gas engines still.
if you were shopping 1500 series..
Now once you step up to the 2500/3500 or 250/350 models and tow thousands of miles/year diesel starts to be the only option you want.

But for weekend warrior the big ecoboost on the f150 might be a better and cheaper option than the baby powerstroke for example.

I was pricing out the ram 1500 ecodiesel. Real world prices I was seeing $5000 more than the hemi. The hemi is rated for 10340lb and the ecodiesel 7990, the 3.6 pentastar 7600

So you are paying a huge premium for the diesel.. The diesel does make more sense where diesel fuel is cheaper.. for example Ontario vs Ohio.. the numbers are much better up north towards the diesel.

Vs paying a 60cent(25%) premium here in Ohio.. which nullifies most of the mpg advantage.
Yes no and maybe. For example no one really needs a boat yet millions of boats are owned. If I wanted a diesel in my vehicle I would buy the diesel with out regard to the price. If I were buyin g a semi truck or a fleet of semi trucks economy of operation would be considerd

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I didn't bash diesels, I was having a conversation with Mike about how most guys would have a $70,000 bling machine and pull a little camper, while his $12k truck gets the job done with a big trailer just fine.

Diesel has its place, my dad had an 04' Silverado 2500HD Duramax and he regularly pulled a 10k-11k pound Gooseneck trailer, something you might not want to do with a gas truck.

If someone wants to buy "a $70,000 bling machine" or an even more expensive truck, and all they haul is their butt to the grocery store, what business is it of yours?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Note, it was a question with regard to current BITOG use of the term.

I'm labelled a hater in many discussions on many topics (Amsoil, RP, Mobil 1, Tesla...etc.)...just seeing if this qualifies in the CURRENT use of the word at this stage of the board. Even provide facts, and it's "hate"

Yours were a bit scant on facts on the costs/benefits of either choice.

As to Mike's rig...it's cool, sounds great going up the hill too.

Thanks Shannow.

I didn't start the thread for debate was just the video had no sound.

As to the debate? Each has their place, my next and last truck will be a diesel because I will be camping a ton more!

Well fuel isn't something I worry about when towing or I wouldn't be towing.
smile.gif

On this trip I averaged over 8 mpg. Last trip was closer to 10. So not off base. Now the guy I camp with has a 1 ton dually Duramax and tows a Montana 5th wheel with LT tires and gets about the same MPG I do, but his trailer weighs more than my entire setup. I am sure he would get much better MPG towing my trailer.
So it isn't just that you have to look at how heavy you are and how you are setup also. But based of the fact that you are a "Hot Shotter" You know that and way more about it then I do about it.

As far as economics and this particular truck? You have to remember I paid only 12,000 for it with 23,000 miles on it in 2010.

Driving around empty I get about 15MPG.

The more trailers I pull, the less I think I know about what fuel economy to expect. I just delivered a 32' 5th wheel to Virginia through the mountains and got 11.0 mpg at a steady 65 mph. My previous run was a 26' ball hitch to Vermont that had less frontal area and weighed 2000 pounds less, and I got 11.0 mpg.

I think for your recreational usage, the used 6.0L 3/4 ton is a fine choice. For the RV transporter, I wonder from time to time if modern diesels are cost-effective, so I look for fuel economy readings from recreational rv'ers with gas engines.
From your example, it sounds like you are averaging 9.0 mpg loaded. So based on fuel costs in my local area, regular gas is $2.86/gal, yielding a cost of 31.8 cents per mile for fuel. With diesel running at 11.0 mpg, and fuel costing $3.05/gal, operating cost is 27.7 cents per mile. So in this case, running diesel saves 4.1 cents per mile. Run 5000 miles this way, and you would save $205 in fuel. Run 50,000 miles, and you would save $2050, which is not enough to pay for the diesel option cost in any modern pickup truck I know of. The last I checked, the diesel option cost was like $4500.

I really like my truck with the same engine...its a 4x4 so the gearing is likely different (@ 55mph I am at 1800rpm) lots of power and after the BlackBear Tune...quite a wake up call.

I have a Flo-pro 2503 muffler and an Air-raid M.I.T....ahhh the sweets sounds of the 6.0L

I sold my 12v Fummins (f350 dually) with about 800ft lbs of torque and got the 3.5 1/2ton ecoboost and couldn't be happier. I'm only towing a 6,000lb tow hauler so the half ton is perfect and much quieter/smoother and arrive at designations far less fatigued.

My dad has a 2002 2500HD, super cab, long box, 4X4. He has the 8.1L gas engine and the Allison transmission. He bought the truck new, paid $44k, and at the time the diesel option was like $6800. He goes back and forth to Yuma every hear with a big bed camper. I think he said fully loaded, his GVW is around 9k lbs. The 8.1 doesn't sweat it at all. Gets 7-9 MPG on the trip.

The more trailers I pull, the less I think I know about what fuel economy to expect. I just delivered a 32' 5th wheel to Virginia through the mountains and got 11.0 mpg at a steady 65 mph. My previous run was a 26' ball hitch to Vermont that had less frontal area and weighed 2000 pounds less, and I got 11.0 mpg.

I think for your recreational usage, the used 6.0L 3/4 ton is a fine choice. For the RV transporter, I wonder from time to time if modern diesels are cost-effective, so I look for fuel economy readings from recreational rv'ers with gas engines.
From your example, it sounds like you are averaging 9.0 mpg loaded. So based on fuel costs in my local area, regular gas is $2.86/gal, yielding a cost of 31.8 cents per mile for fuel. With diesel running at 11.0 mpg, and fuel costing $3.05/gal, operating cost is 27.7 cents per mile. So in this case, running diesel saves 4.1 cents per mile. Run 5000 miles this way, and you would save $205 in fuel. Run 50,000 miles, and you would save $2050, which is not enough to pay for the diesel option cost in any modern pickup truck I know of. The last I checked, the diesel option cost was like $4500.

I am not sure if I were a transporter I would want the gasser. Mine does fine but it limits you to the type of trailers you move. Plus having the extra power when towing so often is a little less stressful. One thing is the gasser does get loud when you give it the coals. The new diesels are so quiet. I don't mind the noise, but it would be nice to have a quiet diesel. I am not a truck buy so I can't justify the cost of diesel without daily driving it. I do not want to daily drive a truck.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back