Vehicle Sighting - mid-'80s Buick Le Sabre

20230920_082255~2.jpg

This isn't a particularly memorable car, but someone has kept it in good shape. I'm guessing at the age (mid-'80s). Same platform as the Chevrolet Celebrity and Pontiac 6000 I think.

You know it's old when it has a "Fuel Injection" badge.
20230920_082311_HDR~2.jpg

The fuel injection badge is an honorable thing! About 5 years ago I bought a new Honda CRV and joined a Honda CRV forum. There were people who were buying "Turbo" emblems and sticking them on the back of the cars with much pride, and showing them off for other people in the forum. Most people thought it was great and wanted to know where they could get their own Turbo emblem, so they too could let the world know how awesome their car is.

I didn't get it. I responded with something like how about one that says "Intermittent Wipers"?

If the tech is new and awesome I get it, but if you are on the tail end where that tech is more common than not having it, like a turbo is pretty close to being these days, then getting a badge that says you have a turbo just serves to show the world that you are a dork. Especially if it's on a 1.5L grocery getter.

I realize that my rant has nothing to do with anything. I apologize for going off of the rails. Continue on...

My brother had the 88 from that period. Had the transmission replaced under warrantee multiple times. Lots of electrical issues. Before that he had the Celebrity...absolute piece of junk. I had a 6000...what could go wrong did go wrong. Hard pass on most American 80's cars in general.

86-91 when Lesabre was downsized and turned into the front wheel drive H platform instead of the rear wheel drive B platform. Wheels are off of a late model, likely a Lacrosse or Lucerne
Bought this '86 Park Ave version in 1987 directly from one of the rental companies at the airport. Probably the nicest, newest and most expensive car I owned up to that point. Loved the plush velour loose cushion interior and how just touching the gas pedal it would fly compared to anything else I've experienced before.

1.jpg

The fuel injection badge is an honorable thing! About 5 years ago I bought a new Honda CRV and joined a Honda CRV forum. There were people who were buying "Turbo" emblems and sticking them on the back of the cars with much pride, and showing them off for other people in the forum. Most people thought it was great and wanted to know where they could get their own Turbo emblem, so they too could let the world know how awesome their car is.
Did that to every Chevy Cruze I owned with the 1.4T. Don't know why Chevy didn't put that emblem on from the factory.

022.jpg

my local mailman doing rural type delivery always uses older Buicks..

like he says, they are cheap to buy, cheap to fix and they are reliable.. and when they get to worn out to put money into I just find another one.

I didn't get it. I responded with something like how about one that says "Intermittent Wipers"?

If the tech is new and awesome I get it, but if you are on the tail end where that tech is more common than not having it, like a turbo is pretty close to being these days, then getting a badge that says you have a turbo just serves to show the world that you are a dork. Especially if it's on a 1.5L grocery getter.

I realize that my rant has nothing to do with anything. I apologize for going off of the rails. Continue on...
I loved your rant. I am amused by car ads where they list safety features such as seatbelts and DRLs. (First of all, seatbelts have been mandated here since 1963*, and DRLs since 1990, secondly the automakers only implemented them because they had to, and thirdly every new cars sold here has them.)

* Front lap belts for '63, front shoulder belts and rear lap belts for '68.

Last edited:
My brother had the 88 from that period. Had the transmission replaced under warrantee multiple times. Lots of electrical issues. Before that he had the Celebrity...absolute piece of junk. I had a 6000...what could go wrong did go wrong. Hard pass on most American 80's cars in general.
One friend had a Celebrity, about a year old. I was very skeptical about the requirement for 5W-30 (instead of the standard 10W-30). 😳

Another friend had a 6000 wagon with the 2.8. It rusted badly, and I repaired broken wires in the bundle between the body and the driver's door.

I loved your rant. I am amused by car ads where they list safety features such as seatbelts and DRLs. (First of all, seatbelts have been mandated here since 1963*, and DRLs since 1990, secondly the automakers only implemented them because they had to, and thirdly every new cars sold here has them.)

the peeps in charge like to mandate all sorts of things
but they will never be able to mandate intelligence.

Used to have a Buick LeSabre with the hood that lifted forward. Owned a Pontiac 6000 with a 2.5L? I think the hostage taker in Demolition Man demanded a Pontiac 6000 as his escape vehicle.

Anyways, these cars were a transition for fuel economy by front wheel drive & V6 engine. Great to see one still around up north. Rust is a nasty thing & that's why I see many more older vehicles down in TX than even here in MO.

Used to have a Buick LeSabre with the hood that lifted forward. Owned a Pontiac 6000 with a 2.5L? I think the hostage taker in Demolition Man demanded a Pontiac 6000 as his escape vehicle.

Anyways, these cars were a transition for fuel economy by front wheel drive & V6 engine. Great to see one still around up north. Rust is a nasty thing & that's why I see many more older vehicles down in TX than even here in MO.
It's got collector plates, so presumably gets parked for the winter.

GM had a carbureted 3.0 that was a destroked 3.8 they put in early A-bodies. But when they transversed the 3.8 it got, and retained, fuel injection. 3.8 was in the top shelf Buick and Oldsmobile A-bodies a year or two before it became the standard engine in the FWD Lesabre, so, yes, they were mighty proud of that fuel injection. Incidentally the computers and mass-airflow sensors had the durability of a wet newspaper.

Side note, the lowly cavalier 2.0 got throttle body injection in 1983 because GM had a horrid time with the feedback carb from the model launch year.

My 16 y/o saw a 1980s Delta 88, pivoted his head, and said "whoa, what is that?"

My dad always bought Buicks and I remember when he traded his 76 Electra(455) in for a 90 Electra. He took a trip to Pittsburgh and when he returned he took it to the dealer and told them the gas gauge was broken because he only used a tank of gas total both ways and it would only take so many gallons going out and back. They explained he is now driving a 6cyl Didn’t like the idea of a 6 so he traded it in a Cadillac

GM had a carbureted 3.0 that was a destroked 3.8 they put in early A-bodies. But when they transversed the 3.8 it got, and retained, fuel injection. 3.8 was in the top shelf Buick and Oldsmobile A-bodies a year or two before it became the standard engine in the FWD Lesabre, so, yes, they were mighty proud of that fuel injection. Incidentally the computers and mass-airflow sensors had the durability of a wet newspaper.

Side note, the lowly cavalier 2.0 got throttle body injection in 1983 because GM had a horrid time with the feedback carb from the model launch year.

My 16 y/o saw a 1980s Delta 88, pivoted his head, and said "whoa, what is that?"
Was that the 90° 3.8 (a 305 with two cylinders lopped off)? I had no idea they had ever destroked that engine. Interesting!

Or was the 3.0 based on the 3800 (which I think was a 60° V6)?

Interesting about the Cavalier - I've thought of the variable-venturi carbs (with feedback from an O2 sensor) as being pretty similar to TBI. Would the difference be no MAF?

Also I guess the carbs would still run off an old-style low-pressure mechanical fuel pump.

Back