Vehicle scratched while at mechanic - at fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it's a scratch on your door it could easily be from a lift post. It's tight getting out, particularly of a full size truck.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what happened. When I came to pick up the truck, I found it parked on a lift, in a crowded shop. Funny the gouge is on the driver door and not any other door! His shop is only about 1000sq ft, so he is obviously juggling stuff around to make it fit. I don't think my truck ever went up on the lift, it was just parked there because it was the only spot it would fit...

Even if it was from somebody else out in the parking lot, it shouldn't really have been there in the first place. When we first talked, he told me he would have the truck for 2 days. It would have been inside his shop the whole time. When I picked it up 3 weeks later, there was only 12 hours of labor done, nothing unexpected, the same thing we talked about would take 2 days!

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If it makes the OP feel any better, I just got our truck back from the Chevy dealer for a basic state inspection. A 30 minute staring and sticker slap job. Truck has all of 25k miles and was perfect. Was.

The driver's perforated leather seat back has gouges through the finish of the leather, and is ruined. Careless clowns. The service manager is getting a big nasty earful later this morning.

They will probably claim they didn't do it, but make it a warranty item for replacement, as a "courtesy". Isn't that nice. But there is no way I will trust these butchers to remove and disassemble a full powered/heated/cooled leather bucket seat w/airbag and fit a new seat cover. They'll break up half the interior. And I'll be dam'ed if I'll let them make warranty billing on it, either.

So I'll eat the $200 for a factory replacement seat cover and do it myself, wasting my next Saturday. At least it will be done correctly.

And find another dealer.

Why not call Chevy Corporate and open up a case? Corporate WANTS to know about careless, incompetent dealers. This store should be punished for their carelessness. Explain to them what happened and tell them you want to find another Chevy dealer you can trust to do the new seat cover install.

One time I had to deliver some supplies to this really dirty and cluster**ked mechanic garage. Looked as if I`d stepped onto the set of Deliverance or Wrong Turn! As I was waiting,I see this inbred looking moron spray painting an engine on a stand next to a customer`s car,while covering said customer`s car in orange spray paint! I was like,what the [censored]??

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
There's no way you can prove the damage wasn't there before this all happened. It's just a couple little marks. If you hadn't gotten it worked on by him those few weeks it's likely you would have taken the truck to the grocery store and it could have been worse. Before you get work done by him take before pictures and then after he works on it inspect the truck.

Considering his insurer just went over every inch of it BEFORE it went in...I would say yes, he can!

What kind of car are we talking about here? If it's a 2014 Silverado I'd be mad too but if it's at least 5-10 years old, what's it matter? Unless you have a show quality vehicle I don't see it really mattering. A truck is a truck.

I need a stepladder, mind if I stand on the hood of your Camry?

I had one of my vehicles at a shop I have used about 30 years.Getting some thing minor done to it.I get a call from a somewhat hesitant sounding shop owner saying:

"I hate to tell you but we had finished working on your vehicle and had it parked on our lot when another customer backed into your car.It only scratched up the paint a little bit.He left his insurance information here if you need it."

Okay what do you think about it?
"Well it is not very noticable"
Alright I'll come down in a few hours and check it out.

I go down, look at it.. the scratches are not very noticable .I figure a good waxing should fill in and cover most of them.I did not choose to pursue the matter.
I'm happy that the shop owner notified me and did not ignore the situation.He runs a good shop as did his father before him.

From the looks of your vehicle somebody set something on your truck and scooted it around and opened the door into something a lift or another vehicle or a large tool bin.

As for the it's just a truck comments...its still your property and should be treated with the same respect as the owners vehicles.

Good luck getting the shop to own up to their carelessness .

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
What kind of car are we talking about here? If it's a 2014 Silverado I'd be mad too but if it's at least 5-10 years old, what's it matter? Unless you have a show quality vehicle I don't see it really mattering. A truck is a truck.

I need a stepladder, mind if I stand on the hood of your Camry?

Sure, just as long as I can use the hood of your pos Dakota as one first

A good shop would Do something about it but if they won't cooperate you are probably sol unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: whip
You've already made up your mind that your going to sue, so why ask for other opinions? Just hire a lawyer, and start litigating.

This is always such a stupid reply. Just because I'm asking a question doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.
33.gif

You claim to have the IQ of a genius, and that's what you think I said?
33.gif

How do you know the car wash didn't do it? They damage cars all the time. That's why I wash all my own cars.

Has anyone else noticed a pattern here? The OP gets in these little squabbles with people over this and that. His forklift, a body shop using aftermarket parts on his vehicle, and now scratches on his truck. He's gonna call the cops, go to court, etc. because he KNOWS he is in the right about everything. Comes on here and posts about it. Again he's been given great advice by others here and he calls them stupid or they just 'missed the point.'
23.gif

It is amusing though...

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Has anyone else noticed a pattern here? The OP gets in these little squabbles with people over this and that. His forklift, a body shop using aftermarket parts on his vehicle, and now scratches on his truck. He's gonna call the cops, go to court, etc. because he KNOWS he is in the right about everything. Comes on here and posts about it. Again he's been given great advice by others here and he calls them stupid or they just 'missed the point.'
23.gif

It is amusing though...

Yes, others have noticed........... All of these things keep happening to him, yet he keeps pointing the finger at everyone else being wrong.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
At least they didn't leave your car parked on the street, unlocked.
Yes, I have had that happen.

I took my first Caprice for inspection, then went to get it a couple hours later. It was parked in the lot...keys in it...windows open.

5 minutes after I left, it started raining. I never went back!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I took my first Caprice for inspection, then went to get it a couple hours later. It was parked in the lot...keys in it...windows open.

5 minutes after I left, it started raining. I never went back!

Thing is that even if the shop doesn't give a [censored], and quite a few do not, you need to make sure you tell them why you will not use them again, before you leave.

Again, the auto repair business whines and cries about the
shi**y reputation they have but the reputable shops won't come together as a group and do something about the problems.

23.gif

It is amusing though...

LOL! I really got into your head. How much time have you spent searching through my old posts? You obviously don't have a life outside the internet. Does it matter? If you don't like my threads don't post in them. I don't like you or your threads, I don't post on them. A lot of people made really stupid comments here, and I'm not afraid to call them out on it. Don't like it? Tough [censored]. Others agree with me.

This forum has really gone down hill over the years. So many rude, obnoxious posters that only want to start an argument. It's sad really. Can anybody tell me why the moderators don't actually moderate anymore? Bob would be very disappointed in what this site has become.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Again, the auto repair business whines and cries about the
shi**y reputation they have but the reputable shops won't come together as a group and do something about the problems.

It's the same type of people as the posters on this forum. There's a few good ones. There's a lot of bad ones. There's a lot of stupid ones. Someone like you can pay attention to the topic at hand and not try to blame the OP and argue about something which they do not know. Only a handful of people have this kind of self control here.

For the rest of you, yes, it's probably my fault that the mechanic scratched my vehicle. (This forum needs a good roll eyes icon)

First off let me say getting your car damaged while it is in for repair sucks! Here's how it played out at a dealership I worked for. A customer brought her car to the shop for a water pump, and left the car overnight to be repaired the following day. The lot boy parked the car in the place for service. The work was done the customer claimed the car was damaged, service and the lot boy denied it. The customer was twisted, I heard first hand I sold her the car [boy did I hear it!]. Long story short it ended up in small claims court and the customer lost because she didn't have actual proof the shop scratched the car. Knowing this place and how they operated, the smart money was on the shop scratching the car. It ended up in a he said, she said battle with the customer losing. Not good business IMO but that's how it played out. Most shops have a sign telling people they aren't responsible for damage, the service writer brought that to court too.

What sucks is if you claim it on your insurance you still have a deductible to pay out of pocket.

Originally Posted By: Number21
23.gif

It is amusing though...

I didn't have to spend time looking through your old posts. You're memorable. I got banned once because I offended your sensibilities.

LOL! I really got into your head. How much time have you spent searching through my old posts? You obviously don't have a life outside the internet. Does it matter? If you don't like my threads don't post in them. I don't like you or your threads, I don't post on them. A lot of people made really stupid comments here, and I'm not afraid to call them out on it. Don't like it? Tough [censored]. Others agree with me.

This forum has really gone down hill over the years. So many rude, obnoxious posters that only want to start an argument. It's sad really. Can anybody tell me why the moderators don't actually moderate anymore? Bob would be very disappointed in what this site has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back